Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times

Advertisements

I just have heard about this but have yet to look into it.

Just wondering if any City-data dudes have and what the results were!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow

GREAT MOVIE....... GREAT ALBUM!!

Quote:
Band members and others involved in the making of the album state that any relationship between the two works of art is merely a coincidence
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A COINCIDENCE!!

I reckon they arent being honest about the matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,679,256 times
While I am a firm believer in nothing is just a councidence, I don't think that it was intentional. However, this does not mean that there is not something to be found when the two are merged.
I think there is also a merge with Alice and Wonderland, not sure what album.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 AM

592 posts, read 803,107 times
I tried it before and it does sync up pretty good. They had to record that album at least somewhat intentionally to sync like that.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 AM

Yes I would agree!!!!

I still havent done it but next time I watch it,i am gonna try it!!!!

Quote:
Pink Floyd band members have repeatedly said that the reputed phenomenon is coincidence. In an interview for the 25th anniversary of the album, guitarist/vocalist David Gilmour denied the album was intentionally written to be synchronized with the film, saying "Some guy with too much time on his hands had this idea of combining Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon."
He can deny anything... The facts remain!!???

Who knows.......

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM

1,683 posts, read 813,454 times
If you watch the DVD "The Making of the Dark Side of the Moon" it obviously IS just a coincidence. Studio engineer Alan Parsons worked very hard to make a great album with no hanky-panky needed or intended.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM

It seems too strange to have JUST HAPPEND.... Everything in this world happens for a reason!!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
This has been around for decades and while I have watched this sync several times, I don't think it is anything but another urban myth foisted on the ever-gullible public.

TCM actually has broadcast the movie with DSotM in the past...'The Dark Side of Oz.

the dark side of oz

how to:
*On the third roar of the MGM lion, unpause your CD. (You may want to turn down your TV volume.)
*Double check that you're in synch by listening for the transition from "Speak to Me" to "Breathe" as the producer credit (Mervyn LeRoy) fades in onscreen.

partial list of coincdental syncs...
  • The lyric "balanced on the perfect wave" occurs just as Dorothy is balancing on the pigsty fence.
  • "...balanced on the biggest wave" as Dorothy balances on the fence, which leads into "On The Run" as she falls off the fence.
  • Chimes and bells sound just as Elvira Gulch appears on her bicycle.
  • During the "Time" guitar solo the fortune teller sign appears, reading "past, present & future."
  • The fortune teller tells Dorothy that she needs to go home as the lyrics play, "home, home again. I'd like to be there when I can".
  • "The Great Gig in the Sky" begins with the scene change to the tornado.
  • The tornado is seen in the background just as the words "and I'm not frightened of dying" is heard.
  • When the window sash knocks Dorothy out, the wailing vocal subsides.
  • "Great Gig in the Sky" is playing as the house is airborne.
  • The cash register in "Money" is heard just as the color of Oz is seen.
  • The ballerina Munchkins enter on the lyric "us..us..us".
  • One ballerina appears to lip sync the words "ordinary men"
  • The Lollypop Guild Munchkins enter on the lyric "me..me..me".
  • The Lollypop Guild's head motions synch with the music.
  • Dorothy turns to face forward on the lyric "forward he cried."
  • The Witch's appearance occurs on the lyric "black..black.."
  • On "blue..blue..blue.." we cut to Dorothy, who of course is wearing blue.
  • On the words "and who knows which is which and who is who", we see the Wicked Witch of the West looking at the dead feet of the Wicked Witch of the East.
  • For "up..up..up", the Witch is on top of a ramp; on "down..down.. down..", she is walking down.
  • "And in the end", the dead Witch disappears.
  • "Out..out..out", Good Witch Glynda exits in a bubble.
  • The song "Brain Damage" is played as the scarecrow sings "If I Only Had a Brain."
  • The heartbeat heard at the end of the album coincides with Dorothy listening to the Tin Man's heart.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
I don't buy it. If PF intentionally synced their record up with the film, they could have done a far better job.

Here's a pretty good take on it: https://penningtonplanetarium.wordpr...-wizard-of-oz/

Coincidences are real.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 AM

1,683 posts, read 813,454 times
Snopes already de-bunked this. It's just a coincidence that a few items look like they kinda-sorta match.

And just a reminder... remember what happened to Syd Barrett. Don't "experiment" excessively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies