Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yep. Glenn was gypped!!
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
I remember married men were so afraid to even think about an affair when this movie came out, still hear men say that when they saw this in the theater it really changed any ideas of an affair.

I recall women, at the time this movie came out, feeling a little sorry for Glenn Close character in the beginning of the movie, but she turned out so nuts.

I recall men being really shocked

Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
^^^^I also remember being at a theater and seeing the preview. My friend and I said - we have to see that when
it comes...and obviously we did. There was a lot of talking around the "water cooler" back in 1987.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:03 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
"Fatal Attraction" is a great movie that holds up well even for today's audiences. Nothing much has changed between the sexes. Glenn Close gave an excellent creepy performance.

I liked "Unfaithful" too. There are a lot of similarities between the two films. The hardest lesson Adrian Lyne presents to the audience is this: People don't have affairs because they're unhappy with their lives, but because the opportunity to cheat presented itself and the chances of getting caught were next to nil (or so the cheating spouse thought).

In both movies we see the dire repercussions of their 'harmless' affairs. I remember feminists were unhappy with "Fatal Attraction" because they thought it was unfair that Glenn Close should get it in the end instead of Michael Douglas since he was the married one. "Unfaithful" may have been Lyne's way of answering those feminists' criticisms, maybe.

Either way, I highly recommend both films for viewing.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,176 times
Renault: You make some great points about both movies !

Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"Fatal Attraction" is a great movie that holds up well even for today's audiences. Nothing much has changed between the sexes. Glenn Close gave an excellent creepy performance.

I liked "Unfaithful" too.
In both movies we see the dire repercussions of their 'harmless' affairs. I remember feminists were unhappy with "Fatal Attraction" because they thought it was unfair that Glenn Close should get it in the end instead of Michael Douglas since he was the married one. "Unfaithful" may have been Lyne's way of answering those feminists' criticisms, maybe.

Either way, I highly recommend both films for viewing.
I never saw "Unfaithful" and unfortunately Netflix doesn't stream it and the few video stores where I
live don't carry a lot of films.
Someone can say I'm a feminist but I never felt that way about Alex or Dan. I cringed at what
Dan was up against. As for Glenn's performance it was outstanding. When she took
Ellen, most views (who are parents) saw that as a last straw to mess with their child.
The other alternative could have been for Alex to have her baby and Dan (with or without his wife)
to face his "responsibilities." But US audiences usually want the happy endings.
For those who liked Fatal Attraction, I would suggest "Play Misty For Me," if you can find it.

Play Misty for Me (1971) - IMDb

Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
She was! Even the intensity in her voice on the tape she gave Dan that he was listening to while driving was creepy.

The look she gives him after the fight scene after he's walking out-Chilling! Glenn also mentioned how men she met afterward thanked her for scrapping any ideas for an affair they were going to have.

"I will not be IGNORED, Dan!"
Yea, that "I will NOT be IGNORED.." line is the really chilling moment you realize she's stark raving nuts - and he's in really big trouble! Great movie.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,766,516 times
One of my all time favorites. And I'm a guy. If there was ever a movie to promote fidelity this was it. Saw it when it came out on home video (ah the days of movie rental). Glenn was outstanding in this flick. It was jaw dropping watch Alex's decent into insanity. I get chills every time I decide to pop it in the DVD player and give it a watch. And yes I've seen Play Misty for Me. It's also a part of my collection. Mainly because I'm an Eastwood fan. Only difference is there's no slow decent in Play Misty. You get some definite signs that Evelyn wasn't wrapped to tight early on

Old 06-22-2014, 05:47 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
I love the intensity, you could really feel the emotions of all the characters, that's how you know it's a great movie. Glenn Close expressed what a woman scorned is capable of.

The wife's forgiveness is admirable. She forgave him without words at the very end there with just a smile and a hand squeeze in the hospital. The way he looked at her after that revealed his regret, all without words, what a moment. Great acting.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
Great movie! I like a good suspense/thriller and Fatal Attraction is a very good one. Glenn Close was simply incredible. Like all great actors she played that role so well that at some point in the movie I forgot it was even Glenn Close. She became "Alex" in that movie. Michael Douglas and Anne Archer did a great job too. I'm going to have to watch this movie again soon, it's been a long time since I've seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies