Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comic hero do you prefer?
Batman 11 68.75%
Superman 5 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 PM

91 posts, read 134,518 times

Advertisements

Which comic book hero has the best secret identity & storyline? Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent? What makes them so unique? Which hero has more dangerous villains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 AM

579 posts, read 761,865 times
I've never been able to get into Superman. The entire premise is pointless to me. His powers include (I'm not listing them all)
- Superhuman strength
- Invulnerability
- Healing factor
- Flight
- Superhuman speed
- X-Ray Vision
- Superhuman intelligence
- Eidetic Memory
- Multilingualism
- Superhuman breath
- Superhuman hearing
- Superhuman vision
- Superhuman Olfaction
- Master Combatant

^ That is a joke. Why not just change his name to GOD?

His only significant weakness is a radioactive fragment from a far away Planet. I understand the intrigue of Superman 60 something years ago during the height of the Cold War: Americans needed an almighty hero but these days X-Men is a far more intriguing story. Because while each X-Men also has powers, they are limited and thus have many weaknesses. So they rely on teamwork to defeat Villains. Also Superman villains leave much to be desired. Lex Luther? Who else.

Another interesting point I've read before is why does Superman feel the need to hide his identity? This isn't usually the case in X-Men where being a mutant and having to deal with public ridicule adds to the story line.

Overall, I don't see how someone over the age of 12 could sustain interest in Superman. It's repetitive mostly because he's just too powerful.

Batman has quality Villains and he's ultimately just a regular guy with martial artist skills and state of the art military equipment. Very easy for the general public to relate to Batman. A scorned boy who lost his parents in a violent pickpocketing gone wrong. IMO Batman makes for the best film hero and X-Men make for the best comics. Protecting Gotham City is simple and direct. Once you start talking Planets and Galaxy's the story becomes too large and viewer begins to lose attention.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,400 times
I hadn't given this much thought until now. I opted for Batman because I've seen more adaptations over the years. (I'm assuming Reeve's Superman was so iconic they couldn't replace him easily.) Bruce Wayne/Batman's story line seems more memorable. His villains Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Joker, etc. are all comical in their own right, similar to Dick Tracy's, I suppose. Meanwhile I can't remember Superman's villains other than
Lex Luthor.

I also prefer that Wayne doesn't have a fixed love interest. Granted Superman dated a few people, but Clark Kent/Superman is generally expected to be with Lois Lane. I'm indifferent to Lois and can't see why Kent is so fixated on her, especially when she's seemingly obsessed with Superman and ignores Kent. Meanwhile Wayne/Batman can be with whomever he wants, be it Vicki Vale, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Talia al Ghul, etc. or no one at all. It allows for a more flexible story line.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:30 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Superman has one of the greatest origin stories of any super hero. After that ... he's kind of boring.

Batman is not only one of the all-time greatest super heroes, but he has some of the best villains of any ongoing storyline.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Batman is the character that Stan Lee missed. From the beginning, he was more like a Marvel character than a DC character. By the 60s Batman had become thoroughly DC-ized, but in the 80s the old characteristics were revived.

Batman had issues.

Superman's worst continuing problem was trying to choose between two gorgeous women.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:28 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Batman is the obvious choice for me.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 AM

91 posts, read 134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I hadn't given this much thought until now. I opted for Batman because I've seen more adaptations over the years. (I'm assuming Reeve's Superman was so iconic they couldn't replace him easily.) Bruce Wayne/Batman's story line seems more memorable. His villains Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Joker, etc. are all comical in their own right, similar to Dick Tracy's, I suppose. Meanwhile I can't remember Superman's villains other than
Lex Luthor.

I also prefer that Wayne doesn't have a fixed love interest. Granted Superman dated a few people, but Clark Kent/Superman is generally expected to be with Lois Lane. I'm indifferent to Lois and can't see why Kent is so fixated on her, especially when she's seemingly obsessed with Superman and ignores Kent. Meanwhile Wayne/Batman can be with whomever he wants, be it Vicki Vale, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Talia al Ghul, etc. or no one at all. It allows for a more flexible story line.
You forgot Harley Quinn/Joker's sidekick & Dr. Pamela Lillian Isley/Poison Ivy.

Yeah I prefer Bruce Wayne/Batman's character & storyline.

He is one cool cape crusader, multi-billionaire, & playboy to choose his ladies very nicely!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Batman, he has all the best toys.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:39 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Superman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies