Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,911,026 times

Advertisements

I've been a Trek fan for my entire life; I've been through the good (First Contact, Star Trek 6, Deep Space Nine) the bad (Star Trek 5, Insurrection) and the ugly (Star Trek: Nemesis).

Each iteration of the series has at least attempted to hold onto the classic Star Trek formula: bigger-than-life villains, intellgent and thought-provoking writing, and characters that are more than cardboard cutouts and aliens in funny hats.

Star Trek: into Darkness meets and in some cases exceeds those criteria.

Synopsis:

As the movie launches, Kirk has been in command of the Enterprise for four years; an away mission on a pre-warp planet goes off the rails, and Admiral Pike strips Kirk of his command for violating the Prime Directive.

Meanwhile, somewhere in San Francisco, the operative of a super-secret research project goes rogue, and Starfleet's most decorated and capable captains are assigned to a manhunt. Unfortunately, their quarry is ahead of them and massacres the assembled Starfleet brass.

Kirk leverages the attack to regain his command, and Spock as his first officer. The Enterprise is outfitted with a payload of newly-developed photon torpedoes, and assigns Kirk to hunt the assassin down.

Little does Kirk know that there's much more to the mission, his target -- and the torpedoes -- than anyone on the Enterprise is aware.

Review:

Allow me to be candid: I have not been impressed with the Star Trek movie franchise of late. Insurrection was sappy and ineffective, Nemesis so bloated with visual effects that it crushed any drama the film might have contained into an unrecoverable mess (though I did like Riker's callback to Encounter at Farpoint).

With J.J. Abrams at the helm (as it were), all of that changed in an instant. Sitting in my theater seat for 2009's Star Trek, I'll freely admit that I quite apprehensive about just how Abrams would handle the reboot of the 50-year-old entertainment juggernaut.

After watching Into Darkness, I realize that I needn't have worried at all. He treats Star Trek with kid gloves, and seems intensely aware that if he screws things up, the fans will never forgive him for it.

That's one of the things I like most about the J.J. Abrams reboot: he respects the franchise, and he respects the fans that have invested most of their lives into the characters and the stories they tell.

Which brings me to the meat of my review: while watching Star Trek was, as I've noted, a somewhat uncomfortable experience (simply because there's a new hand on the wheel), Into Darkness is like coming home to family after a long winter away.

Chris Pine is spectacular once again, projecting an edge of vulnerability and a trace of anti-authority impatience onto his portrayal of Kirk. Karl Urban, back once again as the ever-irascible 'Bones' McCoy, gives McCoy and Spock's fledgling 'friendly rivalry' a nice return, while Spock is as unflappable as ever.

Zoe Saldana didn't get a lot to do this time around, but then again, Uhura is always better when it's a low-key performance, and Saldana delivers all the way. And Simon Pegg, as Scotty -- well, let's just say that Pegg must've been channeling James Doohan's spirit, because his performance was a pitch-perfect recreation of the late actor's delivery.

As for the film itself: the script is loaded with references to Trek canon, from the introduction of Carol Marcus to a certain secret agency that we all love to hate. One of Trek's most memorable villains returns, as well, and again, Abrams hit his mark -- the performance was wonderfully downplayed, and didn't feel tacked-on or artificial.

Into Darkness was evenly paced, and while it was a bit awkward to find everything wrapping up as quickly as it did, that wasn't really a detriment; most of the time, we're watching nuanced, subtle character development, and the rest is a finely-tuned balance of action and drama.

Abrams clearly knows that his audience is 97% Trekkers; instead of bogging the movie down with lots of pointless, clunky exposition, he acknowledges that we probably already know most of this stuff and just tries to tell the story as efficiently as possible.

Finally, there are references to the fact that this is an alternate universe, including one role-reversed scene that revisits (quite powerfully) what was perhaps one of the most controversial and poignant Star Trek moments ever filmed.

And no more of those blurry, eye-straining shaky-cam fight scenes! Thank you, J.J. Abrams!

Final Score:

Writing: 9/10. Went by a bit too quickly. Could have used a moment to catch its breath.

Acting: 9/10. Solid performances, but soggy fight-scene choreography.

Directing: 10/10. J.J. Abrams understands the Star Trek fandom, and it shows.

Cinematography:
10/10. Fewer lens-flares, and no shaky-cam fight scenes!

Overall: 9.5/10. Trek fans should watch it for the shout-outs to old-school Trek, non-Trek fans should see it for the well-scripted action scenes and snappy writing (and for the absence of shaky-cam fight scenes! ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM

12,343 posts, read 17,294,811 times
It was a great movie, I saw it in theaters and again on cable recently.

If you write well written reviews like this on a regular basis you should get a blog and review more films. People enjoy reading other filmgoers reviews many times over the ones in major media outlets.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM

947 posts, read 1,477,848 times
I do wish they could done better casting for Khan like they originally planned. Or at least said they had changed his face as part of giving him the fake name deal to explain why he wasn't a Sikh Indian in appearance anymore.

I do like that Abrhams addressed Michele Nicholes complaint about the Klingon infiltration scene in Star Trek Undiscovered Country. Because a communications officer in Star Fleet would want to learn Klingon if she could because of the hostilities between the federation and the Klingon Empire. So she wouldn't be speaking garbled phrases from a book when the ship she was on was trying to sneak past a border patrol station.

There are complaints people have but these are because people usually don't pay a fraction of a smudge of attention. Such as the case of the blood. Ah they don't know if that is just an aspect of Khan's blood so why take the risk because the other supermen that are frozen may not have that factor in their blood.

AH no taking one of them out of the cryo chamber in the torpedo isn't going to revive the guy or kill him. It's going to defrost him slowly. They aren't trying to revive him.

The reason the refrigation tech is said to be advanced is because they have had no need to research the tech for hundreds of years and any advanced examples of it were lost between the time the supermen left Earth and the time their ship was found because the supermen would have had the most advanced version which took with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies