Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM

505 posts, read 575,059 times

Advertisements

Is this in 3D?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
havnt seen it. don't intend to. I just want to point out that the title of this movie... on the TV ads, the way word "Smaug" is pronounced - it just sounds asinine to me. makes the whole marketing campaign ( I mean movie) seem asinine.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Picture this: you're a conductor and your orchestra is going to perform something special, say Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Only you think about it a little bit and you decide to yourself, "Well, okay, Beethoven wrote this thing pretty well, but I have a whole bunch of things that I can change, and a whole bunch of extraneous musical ideas and instruments that I can throw in there and make it even better."

I'm not really tempted to see this one.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Was better than the first. They managed to grind out another 2 hours of a 200 page book and still not finish the story

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Overall, I enjoy the movie. Not as good as LOTR series but enjoyable.

Minor spoiler:

Just have a small issue on the forced love story between Elf chick and one of the dwarf. This thing between Tauriel and Kili (I think) was a little too forced and fake. Especially, the scene were Tauriel stayed behind and left Legolas on his own to fight the Orcs. Honestly, who freaking leaves their prince to fend for himself to save a stranger? That foolish decision is enough to get one's head chopped off. That is so unrealistic, even in a fantasy world.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
It was fun. No, it's not totally accurate but I don't see how the changes make a big deal. The Tauriel/Kili thing was weird but
Spoiler
that makes it more sad when Kili dies in the next movie (unless Jackson changes that).

Y'all have to admit Thranduil was awesome too.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Some of it I liked and some of it, well, they had to pad out the story.
I did like the part about the burial crypts of the nazgul. No its not from the books but its not hard to imagine that when Sauron was thrown down that the Nine's bodies remained and were interred for safe keeping. I gave that part some slack because I liked the visuals of the mountain crypt.
Does anyone else hate Radagast? The birds nest in his hair.... yuck and he seems like a cheap take off of Tom Bombadil.
Dol Guldur was pretty cool. The orc baddies are LAME and I got sick of seeing them and the Lake Town bit was a weak part of the movie although Bard and the Girion backstory were good. If it wandered a bit from the book, that's okay. I actually think a dwarven ballistae taking down a dragon makes more sense than a bow fired arrow.
I think the elven kingdom was well done and Thranduil was well portrayed. Tauriel was... not bad... but the " super elves" bit is a little bit much. The bit with Fili and Tauriel, though I didn't follow it.
The actual confrontation with Smaug was good and bad. I liked that the dwarves had more to do and they seemed to actually have a viable strategy and plan of attack to kill Smaug even if still a long shot. I'd have kept Bilbo's original result of stealing the Cup and Arkenstone, pissing Smaug off and THEN had them be chased by the dragon.
The gold statue of Durin was over the top and weak.
I'm not a fan of Thorin as portrayed. I had Christopher Lloyd pegged to play Thorin, not this young guy.
The barrel chase was good and bad. I wasn't crazy about all the orc action but it was certainly well choreographed and made the dwarves look more capable. I wish they'd flesh them out a little more and better. Its hit and miss with them.
Beorn was a let down. They make him look like an ogre but with a Nordic accent. I was envisioning someone who would make Hagrid look like Newman from Seinfeld. Plus he barely did anything.
I'd have liked them to have the enchanted river kept in. Having them lug a sleeping Bombur around would have been funny.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I have enjoyed the Hobbit series much more than I liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I couldn't stand Frodo or Gollum.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I have enjoyed the Hobbit series much more than I liked the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I couldn't stand Frodo or Gollum.
OMG WyoEagle - love this statement. I just put Lord of the Rings down as one of the movies I hate in the Movies you hated but everyone else loved thread. I couldn't stand Frodo and Sam. Just so.........old movie bad acting women in distress sounding or something. I have yet been able to clearly communicate why I hate watching them so much.

Was actually going to the theaters to see this as I found The Hobbit (cable) more watchable despite all the too long CGI action scenes but have decided not to. I like to vote with my pocket book and I dont feel like rewarding Jackson for his egregious selling out of even more CGI action scenes and hijacking the book to do it. So I'll wait for cable and go see Hunger Games instead. But when I do see I figure I'll enjoy watching it while wishing some things were different, based on The Hobbit and what I've read about it.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I was so disappointed in the first HOBBIT movie that I have no desire to see this one in the theaters. I'll wait until the extra special super duper version 9.0 director's cut producer's vault now with added special features DVDs are out of all 3 installments, then watch them. Until then, I just can't work up any enthusiasm.
Yea LOTR & Hobbit seems to try hard to be Star Wars...they shouldnt release so many version of these movies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies