Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 04:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,243,147 times

Advertisements

I live in a medium sized city in the Midwest with 2 pretty big malls and a few smaller shopping centers with smaller movie theaters.
Lately I'll hear about a movie that's getting a lot of good buzz, good reviews..........but they aren't big comic book action movies, big franchise sequels, and I can't find them.
Case in point - Dallas Buyers Club
Happened a couple of months ago too although I can't remember the movie.
Anchor Man 2 has opened
forget Inside Llewln Davis, unless it wins a bunch of awards maybe
so frustrating
I'm not interested in action, comic books etc. but I'm not looking for anything obscure either.
Anyone else experience this? I mean, its not like these are really indie films or anything.
I'm bummed about Dallas Buyers Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,966,277 times
I've seen this go on a lot--sometimes in fairly large cities. That's why I basically just quit going to theaters. My tastes generally lean toward indies & obscure documentaries. Just be thankful we now have options like streaming & Netflix. I want to see Dallas Buyers Club too. I think I remember reading somewhere that there is an average wait of around 4 months from open to DVD release. Check your cable or satellite on demand. Some of the smaller films are available same time as theatrical release. I agree it's frustrating.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,375,117 times
If you live in Chicagoland area it is pretty dismal. In fact a movie critic and a radio dj were just talking about this on the radio the other day, how none of the "independent" films or art films are anywhere ever on the south side. DBC looks like a great movie.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,579,692 times
Many 'art-house' films take several months to make their way from the cities where they're premiered such as NYC & LA to the rest of the nation; I remember a terrific war film entitled 'The Good German' starring George Clooney, Cate Blanchett and Tobey Maguire and directed by Steven Soderberg (Oscar winner for 'Traffic') which I saw here in LA in the fall of 2006 yet which didn't reach Nashville until the following summer while I was vacationing there.

A terrific film such as Dallas Buyers Club won't be released nationwide at once a la something intended for the masses such as Anchorman or Spider Man; it will be 'platformed' here in LA (or NYC) and then slowly rolled out to the rest of the country, as evidenced by the fact that it's currently playing in 299 theatres right now, vs. 3,167 for Anchorman 2.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,243,147 times
Its weird, Nebraska is showing at the movie megaplex. In reduced times comparatively but still. Was DBC here for a week early and I missed it? Will Nebraska be gone in a week? I think DBC would have a bigger audience.
If they had numbers you could call and ask......just try find a number where there is (1) a real human and (2) a human that isn't flummoxed by the idea of someone asking

Old 12-25-2013, 10:17 AM

23,637 posts, read 70,592,836 times
The position of film buyer for a circuit is a rough job filled with compromises. The competing demands of the various studios border on insanity, and if those demands aren't met their are repercussions, with major releases going to other circuits. The original concept of a multiplex was to allow a variety of films to be shown. Now, instead, the distributors love to demand "the three largest auditoriums" for a one month period, to show "Indiana Jones part 42" on a schedule of six shows per day per auditorium, with four of those shows starting between 7 PM and 7:20PM AND... running three attached previews of the studio product that bring the running time to three hours. With three studios all competing for the Christmas rush slot that has traditionally high attendance, dozens of good films get no available screen or are shoved off into dead time.

The economic model that drives the industry is so warped now that it is at an end-stage, playing remakes to a narrow age slot. Twenty years ago any county seat town had at least one viable theatre. Since this the number of theatres has been decimated, to the point that in many areas the movie-going habit has been extinguished. It'll get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies