Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 AM

56 posts, read 119,148 times

Advertisements

Sure, we all watch movies somehow everywhere, after all our life is a movie.
And after we hit ripe age we watch them anyway.
I should add if you watch mainstream TV you are in different universe, you are consumer.
But there is one movie we remember as special and for me, from my library of about 3000,
I remember "Mata Hari" with Silvia Kristel.

What's your pleasure?

Last edited by oldfu; 05-22-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: not enough info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,728,404 times
Without a doubt it was Forbidden Planet.

It was shown as a Saturday matinee for us school kids at
the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, CA. (Bob Redford) later
restored and saved this theater and it is still open today.

I was awed by the special effects and the "Monster from the Id."
Imagine Leslie Nielsen in a straight role with Ann Francis as the maiden
in distress all topped off by "Robie the Robot !" I still enjoy watching it
to this day.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
I would say COMMANDO..

For years I had watched this movie that I recorded off HBO (In SLP mode) in the 80s and i thought it was good.... When I got the official VHS tape (In SP mode) it is much nicer!!!!

1) SP MODE INSTEAD OF SLP MODE (Even better quality)
2) TOTALLY ANALOGUE -- NOTHING DIGITAL/NO COMPRESSION (In the 80s alot of C-BAND stuff WAS STARTING TO GO DIGITAL so even if you were watching over ANALOG CABLE,what you were seeing/hearing was not complete analog)

I can hear music in certain parts of this movie WHERE I COULDNT HEAR ANY BEFORE!! -- The colours are even better than in my recorded SLP copy..... (SP mode is the BEST recording mode on VHS)

Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 PM

857 posts, read 976,442 times
David Lean's 'Lawrence Of Arabia' I saw it for the first time when I was 8 years old...........oh, and the music score was great also.

Great Moments of movie music 2 - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 11:33 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Without a doubt it was Forbidden Planet.

It was shown as a Saturday matinee for us school kids at
the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, CA. (Bob Redford) later
restored and saved this theater and it is still open today.

I was awed by the special effects and the "Monster from the Id."
Imagine Leslie Nielsen in a straight role with Ann Francis as the maiden
in distress all topped off by "Robie the Robot !" I still enjoy watching it
to this day.
The last outlaw Mickey Rourke

Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,335,159 times
I'm old but I'm nooooot that old so my favorite movie of all times has to be the three Lords of the Ring trilogy. It brings a smile to my face every time I switch on my HD projector, receiver, and amp and put it full blast listening to my 7 speakers and 4 subwoofers....Wow!!!! Just brings a smile to my face every time! Every time I re-watch LOTR, it feels as if I too was there along side with them on their long journey.

As far as childhood movies goes....I'll always remember: Quest for Fire. What a movie!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,234,103 times
Since 1968, when I was about 17, my English class went to see "Romeo and Juliet". Since that first viewing, it has been my favorite film of all time. Nothing has shaken it off that spot though there are contenders. I find it hard to put in words what this film was to me then and still is. I'm generally fairly good with words, but I was so completely overwhelmed and enveloped by it. Actually, many of my classmates seem to have had the same experience. It wasn't only our senior class. That year, we were all enraptured and enthralled. Before it moved on, I had seen it at least 15 times, which was highly unusual back then, as the public hadn't started the multiple-viewing habit yet, and it was considered odd to go back even a few times. I collected all of the clippings that I could. I bought the soundtrack then the second one, which included speeches, then the multi-record set of the COMPLETE soundtrack~every sound, every note, every word. Has that ever been done? I'm not certain if a movie ever has been so popular that they released a deluxe addition of EVERYTHING!

I recall that every girl was in love with Leonard Whiting and that every boy thought Olivia Hussey was his dream girl. When I mentioned to our chorus/band teacher that I had the multi-record set, he invited me to bring it to school. We listened to it during several classes. He said how could we go wrong with William Shakespeare and Nino Rota=}

By the way: I'm sure for many of us girls that Leonard was the first nude male we had ever seen. *blush* And, the guys had a glimpse of bosom. We never talked about it, but I think it was a special moment for us~though it shook up our poor spinsterish schoolteacher who carefully explained that people often slept "unclad" in that time period. *giggle* I must say that, even as seniors, we were a very naive bunch. Only a few of my classmates had dated. We were just a bunch of very late-bloomers. If you have to be introduced to backal nudity, I cannot think of a better way than Romeo/Len in that movie. He looks like a statue that came to life~and we're not talking Talos in "Jason and the Argonauts"=}

When it was re-released a few years later (another unusual occurrence), I attended it as many times as possible not only in my hometown but also in a city 35 miles away. My sister went with me for the final night it would be in that second theater. When we were in the lobby, I was sighing over the poster. "Go tell someone you want to speak to the manager," she told me. "Tell them how much you love this film." Now, both of us were very shy, so this seemed an outrageous thing to do! But, I went to the ticket booth, where a lady still was working, and asked her if I could speak to the manager. To my surprise, he showed up very quickly. With my sister helping me, we managed to tell him my deep love for the film and that I now had seen it at least 27 times. He told us to wait for a moment. When he returned, he had one of the posters, lobby cards AND the pressbook, apologizing that they had clipped a couple of ads to use. He said that much love and loyalty should be rewarded. I thanked him then, later, my sister for my wonderful prizes. I still have everything I collected back then, and I continue to occasionally purchase items though I'm at an age I shouldn't be doing that.

I now have watched the film probably more than 150 times, and that might be quite an underestimation.

For me, it's like a medieval tapestry that comes to life, and the music, costumes and sets are perfection. I cannot name one moment that isn't perfection for me or one actor or actress who could have done a better job. Franco Zeffirelli did a brilliant job. This is the best interpretation of the play, and I do not believe it could be bettered. It was a magical movie moment. You can't imagine my outrage when "Oliver!" (which I do love, too) won Best Picture. NOOOOOOOO! It was a very bad decision by the Academy.

In the Eighties, I had the opportunity to begin attending Renaissance faires in costume. That first time I stepped through the gates of Bristol Renaissance Faire and heard the music and saw the garbed people~"playtrons" and employees... Memories of "Romeo and Juliet" naturally came to mind. We always dreamed that, for one day, they would allow in only garbed people, keeping out the tourist types. THAT would have been delightful!

One day, I played out a reverse balcony scene with a young man we had become friends with. I had a rose to give him, and he attempted to bend over the railing first as I held it high. Since I'm 5'1", it wasn't successful. To everyone's astonishment and with help from friends, he did a backbend over the rail and did succeed in taking the rose from my hand! My friend said, "Were you blinded by the camera flashes?" It seems we were a hugely popular "photo op".

Now, when I watch "Romeo and Juliet", it sweeps me back to being a mesmerized teenager AND it makes me think longingly of my faire days.

And, I know I certainly have failed to communicate what I would like to about my No. 1 film. Thousands of words coudn't express how deeply I love this film.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times
Got to be Bruce lee "Enter the dragon" for action. Star Wars/ Planet of the Apes for sci-fi. Taps/St Elmos Fire for drama! Invasion of body snatchers for horror

Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,210,990 times
I'd have to say Star Wars. My father and I waited on line for four hours, through two movies, to get in. I remember how big his eyes got during the first scene. He was like a little kid! When we came out of the theater, all he could say was, "WOOOOOOW!"

Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Yes the ORIGINAL STAR WARS! (Nothing digital)

I thankfully have the VHS tape released in 1982.. AS GOOD AS IT WAS THE DAY I FIRST SAW IT!! (No changes @ all in the movie (except they added the "EPISODE IV" BS to the start of it (I love star wars)))

Also ON GOLDEN POND .. I think i have THE FIRST VHS RELEASE THANKFULLY OF THIS MOVIE in 1984 -- It is georgeous.... (I prefer the original/NON DIGITAL version of things If i can get them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies