Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,649,996 times

Advertisements

Could a film about a gay hero be successful in the United States? And no, the gay hero wouldn't be a stereotypical prancing person, they would literally be a pretty regular guy except that they like men. And I am not also talking about having a gay Jean Claude Van Damme but just a guy whose sexual orientation is already a given and not really explored as though it's a central issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,567,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Could a film about a gay hero be successful in the United States? And no, the gay hero wouldn't be a stereotypical prancing person, they would literally be a pretty regular guy except that they like men. And I am not also talking about having a gay Jean Claude Van Damme but just a guy whose sexual orientation is already a given and not really explored as though it's a central issue.
He has to be a flaming prancer, and it would have to be a comedy for me to enjoy it. So to answer your question yes. let this gay hero be played by Will Ferrall.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Are you serious? I can tell you're being sarcastic but for the most part this is a topic to address. Most Americans just perceive the LGBT community as either butch lesbians or prancing men. I can tell you from living near a gay neighborhood that this is far from the case. A lot of gay men are regular guys.

The point is if the US is ready to watch a film where the person's gay life is not a central theme at all in the film and he is a hero of some sort?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,567,208 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I can tell you're being sarcastic but for the most part this is a topic to address. Most Americans just perceive the LGBT community as either butch lesbians or prancing men. I can tell you from living near a gay neighborhood that this is far from the case. A lot of gay men are regular guys.

The point is if the US is ready to watch a film where the person's gay life is not a central theme at all in the film and he is a hero of some sort?
NO, and yes I am being serious. If you are going to be gay, be fabolously gay.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
NO, and yes I am being serious. If you are going to be gay, be fabolously gay.
Way to troll. I am talking about gay heroes that do not fit the stereotype.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,266,853 times
My guess is that it would be successful in urban areas and blue states. The Bible Belt, not so much.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,879,859 times
Quote:
Can I go "Doctor" Phil on you for a moment?

Here's the problem: It's a good idea, but how does this play out?

I know gay people are just like any other person on the planet. So how do we know that the "hero" is gay without playing into stereotypes and/or showing homosexual romance?

Take "The Wire" for example:

The baddest dude... the most hardcore dude... the dude everyone feared... was Omar... and he was gay. (Sidenote: one of my favorite characters ever, right next to Fox Mulder)

How did we know it? Well, Omar CERTAINLY didn't fit into the traditional "gay stereotypes"... but he did kiss his boyfriend a couple of times, and (SPOLIER!!!!!!)---------------avenged his death.

Without out seeing Omar kissing his guy, no one would have known he was homosexual (gay).

I might have more to say, but I just want to see how this post floats before I do.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,266,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Can I go "Doctor" Phil on you for a moment?

Here's the problem: It's a good idea, but how does this play out?
True. There would have to be some exploration of it. For instance, if they made any movies based on Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series, they couldn't ignore the fact that Milo Sturgis, a lieutenant in the LAPD, is gay, a) because it's part of who he is, just like Alex's heterosexuality is part of who he is, b) it has affected Milo's career, and c) fans of the series would be really angry.

The film-makers wouldn't need to show romance between Milo and his partner, and Milo is certainly not stereotypical, so they couldn't play on stereotypes even if they were inclined to. His sexuality would most likely be revealed in the problems he has within the police department because of it.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM

24,830 posts, read 17,582,278 times
Isn't there a movie about Freddie Mercury coming out? He was a hero sorta at least looked up to, albeit a tragic hero.
I always liked the Silver Surfer but seriously I think he was kinda gay. A naked superfit guy flying around on a surf board waxing poetic about his state and the earthly prison he was subjected to. I think he came off pretty badly in that Spider man movie.
I think we have already seen gay heroes, How about the Green Lantern? Or the Green Hornet? Kato I don't think so. Lets not forget about Robin the boy wonder. Remember that one installment where the suits had built in nipples? That was pretty gay.
Seriously those are super heroes not your everyday run of the mil dudes.
What was that movie with Jim Carey where he turned out to be gay?
Given all these examples I think America is ready for a gay hero.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,326,887 times
Harvey Milk. It has been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies