Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,842,374 times

Advertisements

A Walk to Remember
Somewhere In Time

(I am still a Big Tough Guy .. behind this keyboard!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,930,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post

What constitutes material for a guilty pleasure?
Since I started the thread, I guess we have to go with my definition.

I would consider a "guilty pleasure" something that you like, maybe even really, really enjoy, but that you'd be embarassed to tell anyone about. The embarassment could be related to the thing you like being something that is widely mocked & ridiculed, or it could be related to the thing you like being totally different, even against, your normal identity. This "guilty pleasure" might be a movie, a music group, celebrity, or something else in pop culture. For this thread, since we're in the movie forum, we're just talking about examples of guilty pleasure movies.

Like if a guy is totally into independent, alternative rock music, music so "cool" that average people haven't even heard of it yet, and he secretly buys the "Barbie Girl" song and plays it over and over in his car without anyone knowing. (This is a true example. I knew this guy and accidently discovered his guilty pleasure a few years back. He sheepishly admitted he secretly loved the song and begged me not to tell anyone.)

I wouldn't consider Goodfellas a guilty pleasure, since it's a very well-liked popular movie. But if someone usually hates mob movies and speaks out a lot about how mob movies are stupid and she can't understand why people gravitate toward them, and how they glorify crime and violence, etc, and she secretly loves Goodfellas, then THAT would count as a guilty pleasure.

My nephew (a "cool" kid among his peers) for a while loved Justin Beiber and his songs. He admired Beiber and wanted to look like him. But this was at home, and his parents were not allowed to talk about it in front of any of his friends. He and his friends would make fun of Justin Beiber. Later, my sister, who is friendly with the mom of one of the other boys, learned that the other boy also secretly admired Justin Beiber, and modeled his hair and clothing after him, but swore his parents to secrecy. Another boy in the gang was "outed" when someone found a Beiber song on his ipod, and he claimed his sister had put it there. Seems this group of young, cool, jock boys all had the same secret guilty pleasure--liking someone/something considered very uncool by their peer group.

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I loved, I mean really LOVED, Boy George. But in my peer group, he was very uncool (now he's an icon of 80s retro and I'm sure my high school friends would claim they remember him as "cool" and liked him, but in 1985 that was NOT the case). I kept my guilty pleasure a secret, bought all the albums, kept a scrap book, which all got hidden when my friends came over.

The movie Mean Girls, for me, is a guilty pleasure because I'm not into teen girly girl movies, I can't stand Lindsey Lohan, and on the surface I think it's an inane, stupid movie, while my interests are generally much deeper and important issues. But I enjoy watching it. A lot. I have no idea why. If I'm watching it and someone calls or comes over, I'll certainly hide it. But if I were a teenage girl who was into popularity, who's dating whom, and wearing pink, then I guess Mean Girls would not be a guilty pleasure.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,448,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
and I will never miss an opportunity to watch Robocop or (the original) Total Recall.
Robocop was an excellent movie, much better than I thought it was going to be when my girlfriend at the time dragged me to see it. I wish I had my own ED-2000 roaming around my yard right now - "You have 15 seconds to get off my lawn!"

Oh, that reminds me, add Drag Me to Hell to the list... The fight between the main character and the old lady, in the parking lot, is epic!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 4,994,271 times
Showgirls.....ssshhhhh don't tell anyone.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,170,531 times
^^^ I enjoyed Showgirls. I also liked Basic Instinct and Poison Ivy (the originals - never bothered with the sequels).

Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,033,330 times
I subjectively think "Three Men and a Little Lady" is a better film than "E.T." What can I say, the characters are likeable, the funny lines are funny, and I watched it a ton growing up. What else do you want, depth?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,484,429 times
Waterworld
John Carter - I still maintain it wasn't that bad. It just suffered from really bad marketing.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,135,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Robocop was an excellent movie, much better than I thought it was going to be when my girlfriend at the time dragged me to see it. I wish I had my own ED-2000 roaming around my yard right now - "You have 15 seconds to get off my lawn!"
The opening scene is killer, isn't it?
Pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Oh, that reminds me, add Drag Me to Hell to the list... The fight between the main character and the old lady, in the parking lot, is epic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Showgirls.....ssshhhhh don't tell anyone.
I love and own both of these!

Showgirls is the only movie whose tv edited version I think rivals the original version in sheer awesomeness. What is it about superimposed CGI underwear?!

And the seance scene in Drag Me To Hell, with the goat, kills me! That movie is one of Sam Raimi's masterpieces, I think.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,994,271 times
Oh that superimposed underwear!!!!
Something naughty about that than the full naked girls!!
Too funny.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,642,671 times
I'm not embarrassed to tell anyone about music/shows/movies I like.

I'll argue the merits of films like Hobo with a Shotgun, Chopping Mall, Deadly Friend, Tremors, Sleepwalkers, etc. with anyone. People always look at me like I am nuts when I bring up HWAS, they can't get past the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies