Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM

10,647 posts, read 12,255,081 times

Advertisements

Here's hoping....

1) It was on this week -- I'd say wed or thursday (late night overnight, early AM)
2) I THINK it was on some small cable channel most people may not even get....like Cozi, or This.

3) The only scene I saw was a British man (who happened to be getting a young son ready to get breakfast or they'd just finished breakfast. Sort of looked like that dad might have been rushing to get that done so he or they could get ready to leave for work/school.

4) The phone rings and a voice asked him 'if he runs the Britannia," or "Are you familiar with the Britannia" "Is the Britannia one of your ships?' I THINK that was the name.

5) I got the feeling this could be one of those 70s/80s terror on board ship or ship threatened during voyage kind of movies. But can't be sure about that either.

I tuned away, and when I came back it looked like he was in a room with other execs and they were trying to gather/collect info about where the ship was or what could really be going on with the ship, etc

-------------------

I know it's not much. The actor was NOT ANY kind of American actor. He was British. The very brief scenes I saw had no Americans in them. I really only saw him and the boy, and other nondescript actors in a boardroom.

I hate it when I fall asleep on a movie or can't dig up the title of a film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,193,282 times
It sounds like "Juggernaut" from 1974. Check out this clip, see if it is the same - start at 3:08 into the clip for the breakfast/telephone call scene about the ship "Brittanic":

JUGGERNAUT (1974) Pt 2 - YouTube

That actor is Ian Holm, Bilbo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings movies.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM

That was it!
Did you just know this movie...is there something about it or my description that helped?

How did you know it??
Thanks!

I've never seen it before. But remember it vaguely being out around a lot o disaster movies.....

Airport, Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Airport, Airport 2....and the like.

I agree with this you tube comment though
"I still don't get the end.....everybody heard the bomber say cut the blue, now richard harris cut the red without telling his men which one he was going to cut, so they are assuming he's cutting the blue.
So say it was really the red and it exploded, all his men would assume he cut the blue and they would all cut the red.....and explode.!!!!"

DOES the end make any sense? It doesn't seem to. What was the point? There was no explosion, no one was arrested.I don't get it.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,816,331 times
Man, when you guys say "old movie" I immediately think of something pre-WWII, not the 70s! Guess I'm getting old.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM

I did think about saying 'older' movie.
You're right The 70's isn't exact mid-century. "RECENT older movie?" But the 70's were 40 years ago! I'm only 52 so I can't believe it either.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,193,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That was it!
Did you just know this movie...is there something about it or my description that helped?

How did you know it??
Thanks!

I've never seen it before. But remember it vaguely being out around a lot o disaster movies.....

Airport, Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Airport, Airport 2....and the like.

I agree with this you tube comment though
"I still don't get the end.....everybody heard the bomber say cut the blue, now richard harris cut the red without telling his men which one he was going to cut, so they are assuming he's cutting the blue.
So say it was really the red and it exploded, all his men would assume he cut the blue and they would all cut the red.....and explode.!!!!"

DOES the end make any sense? It doesn't seem to. What was the point? There was no explosion, no one was arrested.I don't get it.
No, I didn't know the movie, and yes, your description helped a lot, especially the part about the kids and phone. Here is what I did in case you're interested.

I Googled "movie ship Brittania" and skimmed entries until I got to page 2 with a hit that said "Omar Sharif movies" which said within the visible text: "One of Sharif's most famous roles was in the 1965 movie 'Doctor Zhivago'. ... A terrorist called Juggernaut calls the cruise ship Britannia to say that he has put ..."

Once I clicked on the link I found this part way down the page: "Juggernaut. A terrorist called Juggernaut calls the cruise ship Britannia to say that he has put bombs on board and will detonate them if he does not receive a million pounds before the next morning. A search begins in the UK for the bomber and on board the ship for the explosive devices. Omar Sharif is Captain Alex Brunel, while Richard Harris plays Commander Anthony Fallon, the bomb disposal expert. Anthony Hopkins is Superintendant John McCleod, busy tracking down Juggernaut in the UK."

Since it was a British cast and the name of the ship was the same, I thought it sounded promising, so went to YouTube to see if it was there, which it was (lucky break). Then I looked quickly through the first part and second part - this is hard to describe, but if you "skim" along the video time line, meaning, hold your cursor on the timeline and skim forward in time, you can see clips from the scene without waiting to watch the entire thing. I "skimmed" to the part where I could see a man on the phone, and then watched from that part. Voilà! It took about 10 minutes total, including making my post.

I didn't watch it, but probably will, so don't know the answer to your other questions.

I do this because I can, and because I find it fun. It's always nice when a person comes back to say thank you - so thank you. A lot don't.

Oh, and a rep point wouldn't hurt.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Sorry. Don't know anything about 'rep points.'

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,857,535 times
If you strongly like or approve someones post, you can increment their 'reputation' by adding a 'rep' point. Just click on the scales symbol:
That, and the total number of posts someone has made lets you get an idea of the poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies