Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times

Advertisements

I really want to see the movie, "Last Ounce of Courage," when it comes out but I really don't like to watch movies in public that will make me cry and I already know this one will.

I never used to watch movies on an airplane if I feared the same thing. Now, I don't fly so it's no longer an issue.

I wondered if anyone else, when deciding to see a movie in a theater, considers the cry factor. Does it make a difference if you go alone or are with someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,154,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I really want to see the movie, "Last Ounce of Courage," when it comes out but I really don't like to watch movies in public that will make me cry and I already know this one will.

I never used to watch movies on an airplane if I feared the same thing. Now, I don't fly so it's no longer an issue.

I wondered if anyone else, when deciding to see a movie in a theater, considers the cry factor. Does it make a difference if you go alone or are with someone?
The high prices for a ticket for one person, Plus a drink and popcorn are enough to make one cry here in NY.

Im not really a crier when it comes to movies, If i was i guess i would go alone and sit in that back.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The high prices for a ticket for one person, Plus a drink and popcorn are enough to make one cry here in NY.

Im not really a crier when it comes to movies, If i was i guess i would go alone and sit in that back.
It's actually cheaper for me to go to the movies here ($4.75) than watch it On Demand at home but that doesn't include drink and popcorn...then we're talking your first born son.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
It's actually cheaper for me to go to the movies here ($4.75) than watch it On Demand at home but that doesn't include drink and popcorn...then we're talking your first born son.
Wow! At that price compared to here I could see approx 3 movies and sneak in some Teddy Grahams and a soda. NYC certainly makes the green go fast, That's for sure.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,515,664 times
Quote:

I'm a crier. It depends on the company. A first date? No, don't want to do it. However, seeing a movie that I know will make me cry with a good friend/friends, I'll do it. I pack lots of kleenex.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 PM

777 posts, read 1,338,202 times
Movie's that would make me cry, aren't worth paying $9 to see. lol. I will only go to the theater to see a good horror or a top rated comedy.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Movie's that would make me cry, aren't worth paying $9 to see. lol. I will only go to the theater to see a good horror or a top rated comedy.
See, my usual criteria is to see blockbuster movies in the theater and everything else On Demand at home on TV because blockbusters play better in the theater than on my older TV but every once in awhile I want to see something right away. But I pay $4.75 to see movies in the theater and $4.99 to watch them On Demand at home.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,482,053 times
No! I didn't see War Horse for that reason. I knew I'd bawl for 2 hours - anything with animals gets me going and I'd rather embarrass myself in the privacy of my home. Also, I don't ruin the movie for others by forcing them to listen to me sobbing into my hanky.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
A feat in it's own these days. The last one I saw was "Chernobyl diaries" in the the theaters. That was good. Too many horror films have the same premise: A group of Ambercrombie and Fitch wearing 20-somethings go on a road trip/spring break trip/party and get picked off by either a spirit, crazy locals or an ax-wielding maniac or a mutant alligator. We need new plots. how about people attacked at the supermarket by killer mutant lemurs*? That's original.

* the lemur running joke is over as of now. Sorry folks!

Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,707,841 times
Sure I'll go. In fact, there are movies that I'll go to repeatedly, knowing in advance to bring a lot of kleenex, like Camille, Seventh Seal, and The Passion of Joan of Arc. In some movies the crying can be sort of a collective experience.

If you're shy about crying in public, keep in mind that most movie theaters keep the house lights off until the credits are over, which gives you an extra minute or two to dab your eyes and collect yourself. And most airplanes won't show movies that elicit strong emotions; they won't even show riotous comedies, presumably because they don't want the laughing passengers to wake up the sleeping passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies