Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I have been a major Marilyn fan since I was a little girl (she died when I was 6). I went to see My week with Marilyn extremely skeptical to say the least. But I had to go. Well, Michele Williams managed to capture so many of Marilyn's nuances that there were times I actually forgot it was someone else portraying her. I am now rooting for her to win the Academy Award. Because she managed to do what I always felt was impossible. She became Marilyn in that film and I now have the highest regard for her as an actress.
Interesting. I'll look forward to catching this movie then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Reese Witherspoon as June Cash ("Walk the Line")

She doesn't look like her, and Reese is not a particulary good actress. Zooey Deschanel would've been a better fit; at least she can sing.
Different strokes I suppose. I loved Reese in that movie and I enjoyed her singing as well. I don't think the real June Carter had a great voice, she was famous for her personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
You mean like Audie Murphy playing "Audie Murphy" in "To Hell And Back".

Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

531 posts, read 501,603 times
What an odd complaint. Who cares if the actor/actress doesn't look like the real-life person they are portraying... as long as they can act, what does it matter?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
What an odd complaint. Who cares if the actor/actress doesn't look like the real-life person they are portraying... as long as they can act, what does it matter?
Oh I hear Danny Devito is going to play George Washington in an upcoming biopic, I'm sure he'll be convincing . But who cares right, why bother making anything realistic? Let's set a western story in Vermont, let's give Roman soldiers rocket launchers. It's not Monty bloody python lol.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Meryl did a wonderful job making herself seem like Julia Child.
Has there ever been a role Meryl has not done a wonderful job at? That woman has got to be the best actress who has ever lived. She was equally believable as Julia Child and as Margaret Thatcher.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Has there ever been a role Meryl has not done a wonderful job at? That woman has got to be the best actress who has ever lived. She was equally believable as Julia Child and as Margaret Thatcher.
I know right, ever since I saw her in the Deer Hunter I've been a fan.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Interesting. I'll look forward to catching this movie then!
You'll love it

Different strokes I suppose. I loved Reese in that movie and I enjoyed her singing as well. I don't think the real June Carter had a great voice, she was famous for her personality.
I agree with you. Reese was great. Zooey?? Really? She's way to cutsie for that role. I really can't see it.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
That's exactly right. A good actor can portray someone regardless of whether or not they resemble that person.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know right, ever since I saw her in the Deer Hunter I've been a fan.
I first saw Meryl in many of the Joseph Papp Shakespeare in the Park productions in NYC. This is going back to the 1970's. I'd seen her in numerous stage plays & musicals. She had/has a terrific singing voice.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I thought Tom Cruise was ridiculous in the part of Lestat in Interview with a Vampire - not just in appearance but he conveyed nothing of the character's personality in the book.

Melanie Griffith as the heroine in Shining Through was also horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies