Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

93 posts, read 100,326 times

Advertisements

Im a huge fan of the horror genre and there just aren't any scary movies out there anymore. You're lucky to get one good Horror/suspense movie a year anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Blood & Gore have replaced a good suspense/horror story. It is repugnant to me what is being peddled as horror is just sadism on steroids. One exception is the Paranormal Activity anthologies. Where is Stephen King when you need him ?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
Somewhat agree with Pawporri, there has been a rampant evolution of Jaw'type slasher movies which personally to me are more gory violent than actually being "supernatural scary". However, lots of good foreign horror movies still exist if you are into that. Just look for them on Netflix streaming or do some serious manual research on google for foreign horror movies. I found out about many through Netflix and have been pleasantly surprised!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I see ads for them like crazy. As far as what is good though, I have no idea because it seems like the whole genre is crap and each movie is based on people making decisions no rational, free thinking human being would make.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Cos all movies are horror movies these days..violence - sensationalism - explosions - blood guts -sex and death are common in todays mimiced scripts..all the movies are the same.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
What oleg said, they dont make good horror movies anymore. Who would be interested in crap?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Blood & Gore have replaced a good suspense/horror story. It is repugnant to me what is being peddled as horror is just sadism on steroids. One exception is the Paranormal Activity anthologies. Where is Stephen King when you need him ?
Indeed. This type of thread is becoming common of us Horror/Suspense lovers, And for good reason. it's more shock value nowadays.Violence (When the film focuses on it only) is just for shock value.

As I said on a few other threads like this: Good Horror is based on fear. Fear of the unknown, Fear of things in the real world as well. Like walking through somewhere in the dark, And you realize you are not alone: Who or what is there with you? Or waking up from a nice dream in the middle of the night and someone is standing at the foot of the bed, Who should not be there. Or waking up in Las vegas from a bachelor party, And realizing the groom is missing...Oh, Wrong type of film! Sorry.

That's still scary though!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEssex View Post
Im a huge fan of the horror genre and there just aren't any scary movies out there anymore. You're lucky to get one good Horror/suspense movie a year anymore!
Honestly? The answer is actually fairly simple -

Nowhere near as many drive-in theatres. (reduced market)
Nobody with the smarts of Roger Corman. (reduced brains)
Production and other costs. (reduced money)

Drive-ins almost always were double feature or triple feature, with one film as the draw, and the other B films on a flat rate rental to keep costs down.

FWIW, many films were simply retitled or re-cut previous films. Some of them ended up with multiple names and versions.

A lot of horror films were unpaid or minimally paid training films for new talent and directors.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
Quote:

I remember the 1980's were quite popular.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:

I guess it depends on your definition of Good.
I know there is more than one horror movie made a year, at least of the past 5-7 years. Of course, some of them are Part 2,3 4 and 5 of the same original movies and how "good" they are might be questionable.

I only know this because my daughter became a horror movie fan at the age of abotu 13 years old.

I have been a bit of a coward when it comes to horror movies, but I can appreciate them once in a while. I just have to make sure to watch them in the middle of the afternoon, so I have time to forget about it before bedtime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies