Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

The woman needs a real MSF course which can be for women only in some places.

You trying to teach her will probably break what ever this relationship is.

After that, which may take more time than is considered normal, then and only then should a good USED starter bike be any idea of option.

Right now I have a sis in law who never drove stick, and is taking MSF private lessons, and is coming along well, but has not yet been on the street and at this time has no bee's wax being on the street.

What she wants isn't possible, any more than what my sis in law wanted, which was a brand new Dyna Glide and to ride it right off the lot all by herself, with 0 training and lessons.

She figured she could drive any automatic car, so why not a big bike....

It's a good thing she is just a sis in law, because when I set her straight she sure wasn't pleased with me.

She is in process right now of finding out what i told her is true, but since she is in MSF I remain quiet now. She is speaking with me again.. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,757 times
Even on the first day, students should not be dropping motorcycles. Of course this happens occasionally, but in my classes, I have a drop rate approx. to 1 per 50 or more students.

If students regularly drop their bikes in a parking lot with an instructor assisting, how likely are they to drop it on the street? Perhaps if so many drop it, the training may be inadequate.

Just a thought.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
The woman needs a real MSF course which can be for women only in some places.

You trying to teach her will probably break what ever this relationship is.
I don't believe there are any female-only classes in the area. However, in my observations the classes are 1 to 3 or even 1 to 2 female-to-male ratios, so there's that. I will also take the course with her.

I bought the little 2007 last night. Riding it home was enjoyable. Going to take care of the legal and some basic maintenance issues this week.

We've been through a lot together, so we'll be alright. She's not going to take the 250 out on any roads prior to the MSF course. This is just so she can do very basic twiddling and sitting in a parking lot to show her she can take the course and get over the roadblock that's preventing her from signing up for the course.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I am taking a beginners class, even though I have been riding for almost 40 years, just to practice how to ride slowly as well as refresh my knowledge of traffic situations. Then I will sign up for an experienced class to learn how to ride the Kawasaurus slowly. Riding it fast is easy, just aim it an pull the trigger. It is like a giant bungee cord is connected to the horizon.

1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 = Kawasaurus

Tell you SiL to put up or shut up. The season is wasting.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't believe there are any female-only classes in the area. However, in my observations the classes are 1 to 3 or even 1 to 2 female-to-male ratios, so there's that. I will also take the course with her.

I bought the little 2007 last night. Riding it home was enjoyable. Going to take care of the legal and some basic maintenance issues this week.

We've been through a lot together, so we'll be alright. She's not going to take the 250 out on any roads prior to the MSF course. This is just so she can do very basic twiddling and sitting in a parking lot to show her she can take the course and get over the roadblock that's preventing her from signing up for the course.

I can't stop you, but I would if I could. I understand where you are coing from, but then I also understand the points of a drop which a newbie will consider a failure. Unless you can be right there to offer the correct support, which will be harder as you have several investements, not just money, things could be quite hard.

A part of what say this is her refusal for stick shift driving in you car. I don't know what her problem is with that, and can't guess, but what ever it is is the same with the bike.

My sis in law's hubby was smart enough to stay out of this training time, and hasn't offered anything but words of support, and in a loose way.

I wasn't that smart, but it appeared as she was going to buy a bike based on looks, and not take any training. I stood nothing to loose on that either. So what if my sis in law is angery with me.. I would rather have her angery with me, than dead.

My sis in law at first in the course was lost and more than helpless, and even at that she got a major bruise from dropping the class bike on her leg. While she can do low speed 8's and circles start and go she is still totally unfit for on the road riding.

She has not mastered the controlls mentally yet, and will be in one on one training by a qualifed female instructor for quite some time, before she is ready for the street.

You may ride well, you may be natural, you might have 40 years under your belt for all I know, but you have a personal investement, and that can get real dicey.

A lot of women are simply not mechanicly inclined... A lot more women hate being trained by a male who is close.

Only you know the answers to these ideas... I sure don't.

I did train my non stick shifting wife to drive std cars, but i wouldn't dream to train her to ride bikes. No matter what my wife can't drop a car on her leg. Training my own wife, took 5 years over all, the finess. It was a month before she was ready to drive a car with std shift on the road too.

Just sayin, and I don't want to go to war....

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Here's my thoughts for what they're worth.

Why practice? That's what the class is for. It's a beginner's class for a reason. Learn how to do things properly the first time instead of trying to unlearn potentially bad habits.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Bike is fully legal now. Tomorrow we're having a motorcycle day.

1. watch MotoGP race
2. bicycle riding at the park, talking about it
3. first experience trying out my manual car in a large parking lot
4. discussing how gears, torque curves, RPMs, shifting work
5. basic maintenance -- oil change, bleeding brake lines, lubing and adjusting the chain

Old 05-12-2010, 06:51 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
I hate riding in groups. I have been riding for fifty years and it has been my experience that group riding is dangerous. To me riding is something that is better when alone.

GL2

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I took the MSF course. I discovered a couple of habits I have to unlearn. Delayed braking into corners is probably the biggest and most dangerous problem. I also realize I have to do a lot of low speed practice on my low speed maneuvering with my own bike. The course was very useful even if given in a pouring rain on one day and a freezing wind on the second.

One guy did drop his bike doing a swerve maneuver. He put on the front brake pretty hard and the bike high sided him kind of in slow motion. He won’t make that mistake again.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I did do some practicing in a parking lot while waiting to take the MSF course. My husband would ride the bike there and I would follow in the car. I learned a lot of things that I'm sure my husband might not of thought about if he had taught me. There was a girl in class that had never driven a stick and had never even been a passenger on a bike, she did great.

I think what she is feeling is normal. Tell her when she signs up you will take her out and let her do some practicing. Depending on where your at there may be a waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles