Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Wonder if there is any blogs by bikers of living off the road? Be interesting to try
Check out ride reports on ADVRider. Lots of people take multi-month international trips on bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 01:48 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,156,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Check out ride reports on ADVRider. Lots of people take multi-month international trips on bikes.
(Raises hand) Though it was a bit shy of one month, not multi-month. Most of my buddies, on ADVRider, have done similar at some point.

My chummies and I packed pretty carefully with tons of research and preparation. We had very few surprises. In fact I was making lists and what-ifs at T-minus six months, plenty of time to resolve. Couple last-minute changes, none critical, and things will crop up. Having your paperwork in-order is part of the deal when international, especially if crossing borders, plus prepping for challenges and genuine emergencies.

The remainder is about staying healthy, being aware of the elements and what you'll face, being OK with a certain amount of grunge (in everything). Too, keeping the important maintenance taken care of, depending where you are (southern Africa tends to eat machinery, for example).

Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,361,260 times
Default Living on a motorcycle?

Sounds like fun but living on a motorcycle is different than taking a long trip and probably wouldn't be fun after a while.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,604,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Is it even possible for someone to "live" on a motorcycle the way people now live in there cars?
If you can sleep sitting up, I suppose, but a motorcycle does not provide shelter from the elements (sun, rain, wind, heat, cold, etc.)

Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,127,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you can sleep sitting up, I suppose, but a motorcycle does not provide shelter from the elements (sun, rain, wind, heat, cold, etc.)
Though I have never slept a night on a motorcycle I have napped with my head on my jacket on the handlebars and sort of laying on the tank and seat with my feet hanging off my the back. (CB750) it was pretty comfortable. Camped a lot of nights next to bikes.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,429,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
One of the guys I used to ride ADV with in Colorado had a solution for this. When the evening came and it was time for sleep, he simply would lay down on the ground, in full gear, and sleep. I mean helmet, gloves, boots and all. The only time the helmet and gloves came off were to eat. Stinky after a few days, not practical in the long term, but absolutely doable.

All those things you say you're not sheltered from, are Also true while riding. the gear, if you have anything worth buying, will take care of that issue.

I've spent a number of rainy nights sleeping in my Aerostich and under a picnic table (or on the table and under the shelter most of them now have). Never did sleep with my helmet on, I'd usually use my tank-bag for a pillow. Plus, tents and bags are tiny, easy to pack ~ hammocks even more so, though they lose their effectiveness in dry/arid places. Showers are easy too... simply sign up for any national fitness club (or a local one if you're being homeless while in one small geographic area).

I did a summer break from college on a bike. Montana to Alaska and back. It's "long trip" time frame and not "full time", but what's possible over 2 months is possible for as long as you have the desire. My limitations were time (school starting again, weather changing) and money, not discomfort.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
they have camp trailers they can pull behind motorcycles...

Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM

26,196 posts, read 21,615,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerantlocal View Post
How do you shower?
With soap and water I'd imagine

Old 08-03-2017, 01:07 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,429,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they have camp trailers they can pull behind motorcycles...

For anyone reading this, please don't. It is the professional opinion of EVERY tire rep I've ever spoken with (and myself) that this is more dangerous to your health than drinking and riding. I've seen hundreds of catastrophic tire failures, every last one of them due to overloading and 90% of those were thanks to a trailer (the rest were very large rider/pillion combos). Nearly ALL of those failures resulted in an ambulance ride.

I've heard every anecdotal story under the sun, had a few of those people come back and tell me they were wrong after a tire issue of their own and swearing off trailers. Save em for your uneducated buddies. Riding a motorcycle is plenty dangerous enough on its own, there is Zero sense in adding more danger to the mix just because you physically can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles