Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 AM

214 posts, read 653,473 times

Advertisements

Where's the best place online to buy tires? Tirerack.com? Tires.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,219,203 times
you posted this in the Motorcycle section. don't know if you want to know about automotive or motorcycle tires.

for auto tires, i use the sites you listed. i have, on rare occassion, found tires on some random online websites a bit cheaper, but only minimally so. there's also a few local houses i know that will meet or beat TireRack's prices, so sometimes i use that route. lastly, if all you want are stock tires, i've found people getting rid of tires and wheels off brand new vehicles on www.craigslist.com for very cheap. that's how i scored and extra set of wheels, tires, and hubcaps for my car for only $200! tires only had 900 miles on 'em. deal of the century IMO.

if you actually meant motorcycle tires, those sites won't work for you. i don't have one website where i consistently find good deals on tires for bikes, but i usually check all of the following:

www.cyclegear.com (usually have a crazy once-a-year sale near the beginning of the year. otherwise the prices aren't terribly competitive)

www.sportbiketrackgear.com

www.newenough.com

www.motorcycle-superstore.com

www.denniskirk.com

www.bikebandit.com

www.chaparralmotorsports.com

and a few others. honestly, though, i usually don't end up realizing i need a tire until it's past the point of shopping around, at which point i get dicked over by the dealer.

Mike

Mike

Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,069,679 times
I can't tell either, but I run a Dunlop Sp 5000 on my Nomad which is a car tire on a bike. I love it, and it has 7,000 miles on it now where I would need a new mc tire, but don't. The tire new had 10/32nds, and has 7/32nds now.

That outta heat things up around here.... LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

17,259 posts, read 57,381,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I can't tell either, but I run a Dunlop Sp 5000 on my Nomad which is a car tire on a bike. I love it, and it has 7,000 miles on it now where I would need a new mc tire, but don't. The tire new had 10/32nds, and has 7/32nds now.

That outta heat things up around here.... LOL
I guess you are not taking advantage of the cornering ability of the bike, or maybe you have a sidehack?

Since you are about 2000 miles east of me, I guess I don't care what kind of tire you put on your bike. You won't be sliding into me, if you try to lean the bike more than just a little...

Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,069,679 times
LOL No side hack, but i am limited in lean angle by hard parts like the floor boards and V&H bagger exhausts. Any times you see a kawii Nomad, there is a pretty good chance it it will have a car tire on the back. A lot of riders with this bike that did the converstion buy a sticker to say "Dark Side" but I don't generally do stickers.

Wingers do this too, so if you really fear riding when other riders have chosen a CT, you better quit.

I did it early on under Nomad, but wingers have years on me, and so do some of the VN2K 2000 cc kawi riders. I was as leary as you, so I understand.

I was willing to buy and junk a new tire on the same day. Turned out I was Wrong, and as time passed I discovered it was the best thing I could do for Nomad stability over a wide set of criteria. There is a new learning curve that lasts around 20 minutes, then delicate testing on the high way grind, cross walk paint, cheese grader bridges, dirt and gravel roads, wet grass, and one pretty well finds there is less problem than with mc tires on a Nomad.

If this were a liter bike crotch rocket where Knees are the hard parts first down I wouldn't consider this for a second, but I can't even ride the bike leaned over that far, and have full time chicken stripes since I am not willing to grind the boards and exhaust completely off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles