Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM

685 posts, read 720,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraziKatt View Post
No license required for any moped that goes under 45 mph...less than 50CC.

Might check the DMV of each state to compile. Could take a while but would be worth it if you do not get a good number of responses
Why do it that way? Here: Moped Laws by state

I'm in NC (as another poster here). I'd rather see a license required 50cc or not. It's very dangerous. I think I'm still riding a motorcycle (having knee issues now) and when I see what scooters do on the road, many just don't know how to ride safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 04:00 PM

685 posts, read 720,563 times
Might check the DMV of each state to compile. Could take a while but would be worth it if you do not get a good number of responses[/quote] Why do it that way? Here: Moped Laws by state

I'm in NC (as another poster here). I'd rather see a license of some type required for scooters. It's very dangerous. I think I'm still riding a motorcycle (having knee issues now, so whether I can shift is questionable) and when I see what scooters do on the road, many just don't know how to ride safely.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:33 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Most places or at least here at one point anything 125 and under didn't need a plate. Mooeds and small scooters, there is, or was a mooed liscense you could get, but a orange flag will suffice if it isn't registered. You can register them if you want. I believe as long as it can exceed and hold speeds over 55, it can be driven on highways, some of them have a limit of 70. It isn't odd to see a 125, or 150, running around unregistered. You do need a drivers liscense for anything over 80cc, just doesn't have to be registered until you get in to 250+ bikes.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Most places or at least here at one point anything 125 and under didn't need a plate. Mooeds and small scooters, there is, or was a mooed liscense you could get, but a orange flag will suffice if it isn't registered. You can register them if you want. I believe as long as it can exceed and hold speeds over 55, it can be driven on highways, some of them have a limit of 70. It isn't odd to see a 125, or 150, running around unregistered. You do need a drivers liscense for anything over 80cc, just doesn't have to be registered until you get in to 250+ bikes.
Ive been pulled in the 'Ville on a scooter(Lexington) and the rules and what the cops told me was a little ambiguous, so I wrote the DMV to find out exactly what a cop can pull you for. In the end, if the bike can go faster than 29mph, it technically needs a tag regardless of cc, but, 50cc is the limit on no tag going by engine/VIN. Go figure A lot of people ride unreg'd small framed 125's and just disguise them with the orange flag, but they will get written up if the cop checks the VIN. You need a lisence to ride any scooter, at least a car license, even on a 50. Anything over a 50 requires a Motorcycle endorsement. The orange flag is not required by law.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,260 times
..do you need a driver's license in Minnesota for a moped and do you need a permit to drive a moped without a license

Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbee View Post
..do you need a driver's license in Minnesota for a moped and do you need a permit to drive a moped without a license

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/for...ycleManual.pdf

It is explained on page 11.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:44 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
To my knowledge, you do need a driver's license to ride on the road with a 50cc scooter. Scooters are NOT mopeds, they are motorcycles.

You need a M endorsement for anything exceeding 50cc, or to exceed speeds of 30mph.

I mean really... just take the MSF course. Dropping on a 50cc bike still hurts and can still kill you. Personally I don't think 50cc bikes should be exempt from the course or the M endorsement!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM

50cc can be useful for scooting around campus or the like but that is about the extent of its usefullness. For me personally I would not settle for anything below 125cc or so. It takes like 20 mins at a DMV to answer some multiple choice questions and get your motorcycle permit. It is well worth the trouble in my opinion.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-05-2017 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
50cc can be useful for scooting around campus or the like but that is about the extent of its usefullness. For me personally I would not settle for anything below 125cc or so. It takes like 20 mins at a DMV to answer some multiple choice questions and get your motorcycle permit. It is well worth the trouble in my opinion.
Many states require a MSF course. I had to do one myself and it cost roughly $200 and about 3 days in the scorching heat fully geared in the end.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Many states require a MSF course. I had to do one myself and it cost roughly $200 and about 3 days in the scorching heat fully geared in the end.
Really? That would make for a more interesting topic - which states require taking an MSF course to obtain a motorcycle endorsement. In MN I took a quick written test for the permit and then later took a short road test for the endorsement. No MSF was needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles