Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

271 posts, read 785,210 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a stupid question...but there's this guy in my apartment complex who will rev his motorcycle 5-10 times before he actually leaves. He does it when he comes back too. Our apartments are really cheap so I can always tell whether he's coming or going. Anyway, it's really annoying and loud and obnoxious but I don't want to say anything about it if he absolutely has to do it for some reason. Thanks for any explanations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
It's absolutely essential to the motorcycling ego for many riders to blast that noise and hear the power at their wrist and to let everybody know that they're about to 'rassle with and tame all that teeming horsepower. "hey folks" LOOK AT ME, I'm a big bad a** scoot rider! And all that noise when I arrive is just to be sure that you know that I've been out RIDING again, master of THE MACHINE!

There's virtually no modern motorcycle that derives any benefit from all that throttle blipping ... and that includes a whole bunch of very high performance, highly tuned, fast and quick sport bikes as well as more sedate transportation bikes. I haven't needed to blip the throttle while stationary on any of my bikes to verify that it had throttle response and was ready to go or keep it from dying at idle since the early 1960's ... singles, twins, or multi-cylinder bikes ...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM

LOL I like your response. I have seen his bike and it's definitely not old. And now that I know it's not necessary it's really going to annoy me. Haha...if I say something to him, he'll either stop or he'll keep doing it more excessively to annoy me. What to do...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM

111 posts, read 188,518 times
of course it is necessary!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
briannasmomma: Don't say anything. He'll just do it more, having a bad case of coolitis. Such people thrive on attention.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
briannasmomma: Don't say anything. He'll just do it more, having a bad case of coolitis. Such people thrive on attention.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. He doesn't do it early in the morning or at night so I guess I can deal with his ego.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Ask the local cops to give him the disturbing the peace lecture.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
no, there's no reason to do it, at least while stationary. at least he's considerate enough not to do it when it's early. i always feel like an ass when i leave for work on mine, but i try to stay off the throttle until i'm out of the neighborhood.

sounds like it's just one of those things you have to decide how much it bothers you. apartment living always has its concessions, and finding that balance between having to deal with other people's noises and saying something is certainly one of them.

Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question...but there's this guy in my apartment complex who will rev his motorcycle 5-10 times before he actually leaves. He does it when he comes back too. Our apartments are really cheap so I can always tell whether he's coming or going. Anyway, it's really annoying and loud and obnoxious but I don't want to say anything about it if he absolutely has to do it for some reason. Thanks for any explanations!
I've been a motorcycle rider for decades.

Nope, this is unnecessary. The guy is just being a jerk.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 AM

83 posts, read 228,347 times
if he does it when he comes back than he's being a jerk...
how about approaching him by saying "hey! nice bike! by the way I've notice you rev up your bike alot...is that necessary?"
just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles