Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

I live in the DC area where Motorcycles are allowed to use the less crowded HOV lanes. I think this would drive the incentive to buy a motorcycle for commuting purposes.

I've also heard that motorcycles get great fuel mileage. This i think would help those who have long commutes.

So anyone using your bike primarily for commuting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
i commute on mine as much as weather and other conditions permit. i actually don't do as much recreational riding anymore, although that's not because of the commuting.

bikes generally do get better fuel mileage, but often the cost/benefit isn't necessarily there. by the time you buy the bike, the gear, insure it, and pay for tires that last about 1/2 (or less) the life of car tires, it often is only marginally cheaper.

still, i prefer to ride. it's relaxing for me and makes for something to look forward to at the end of a long day at work. like the old saying goes, you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a shrink's office!

Mike

Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,969 times
I only use bicycles and motorcycles.
Im almost at the point I can be car-free !!!! *w00t*

The thing about a motorcycle is, if you lose your concentration
for a second, you are in danger of crashing. In 32 years of
riding, Ive crashed on the road twice, and each time my concentration
was not on the road.

I ride a bicycle and an old Suzuki GS500 currently, but have used
everything from scooters to Harleys. It all good !!!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,707,651 times
The are good for commuting, but I wouldn't get a bike just to commute as you'd probably never see monetary savings.

If you get a decent used bike for $3k and gear for $1k, you are already at $4k, plus insurance and maintenance and tax on an additional vehicle. You may get 50 mpg on the motorcycle versus 20 in a car, but the motorcycle doesn't haul stuff, doesn't have a trunk, and doesn't protect you from the elements - heat, cold, rain, sun, traffic, pollution, etc.

If you have a bike already, its great to use it to commute, but as a pure commuter, I'd stick with a car.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I had no car for a year, only a motorcycle. It was fine when the weather was nice and I didn't have to carry very much. But those 20-degree days weren't too good.

Years after that, I commuted on my motorcycle when the weather was good (and I didn't have much to carry). It makes it more fun, although in Dallas it wasn't always so much fun.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM

811 posts, read 1,386,992 times
My commute to work is only 5 miles. On the days I do ride to work, it takes me longer to gear up and get going than the actual ride itself!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I live in the DC area where Motorcycles are allowed to use the less crowded HOV lanes. I think this would drive the incentive to buy a motorcycle for commuting purposes.

I've also heard that motorcycles get great fuel mileage. This i think would help those who have long commutes.

So anyone using your bike primarily for commuting?
I have commuted on a bike but for me it's about 40 miles of uncrowded back roads.

The DC area would not be a good place to spend your first few years riding. Traffic is nuts and not many of them have their mind on driving.

When I am occasionally back there I do see guys on bikes, I think the main advantages are being able to park where a car won't fit, other manuverability issues, rather than gas savings.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
My step-dad uses his bike for commuting if it's not too cold or too unbearably hot.
He also just likes to ride it for the sake of riding.

Of course with all the money he has spent on gear and other little things for his bike...I don't really see where the cost savings come in.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
I ride pretty often, I just did 119 miles today. I have a 2002 Ninja 250. Honestly I've never experienced anything less than 68 mpg. My last tank was 70.96 mpg. It's fun to ride.

I will say this and it just may be a bad omen with me and the bike.lol but it is dangerous out there. In the last nine days I've been in two accident's. I know it sounds like I'm making this up but let me explain. The first accident was a total loss to my bike, I kept it even though the insurance company totaled it. That accident was primarily a female drivers fault but she didn't stop and kept going.

My second accident was yesterday I was calmly waiting at a stop sign as their was oncoming traffic approaching and all of a sudden a girl rear ends me on the bike. I was so pissed, At this rate I'll be dead by the fourth of July. Does this keep me from riding? No, I love riding and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I use it mainly as a stress relief type thing.

It's funny when you ride a motorcycle you see things in a totally different perspective. The sights, sounds, scents. It's a real treat.

btw insurance and gear is cheap, 1000 for gear. Are you kidding me people? I spent $70 on a brand new helmet, $150 for a new jacket, very nice btw. Gloves were $30. Insurance is $32 a month and I'm only 20 so I get that nice bill.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have commuted on a bike but for me it's about 40 miles of uncrowded back roads.

The DC area would not be a good place to spend your first few years riding. Traffic is nuts and not many of them have their mind on driving.

When I am occasionally back there I do see guys on bikes, I think the main advantages are being able to park where a car won't fit, other manuverability issues, rather than gas savings.
Trust me, the traffic here isnt news to me. I wont be in the DC area but another year, thankfully. I'll either be in Louisville or Hampton Roads and both are much better than NoVA for ANY traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles