Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,122,714 times

Advertisements

IMO They are WAY overpriced for what you get....you can buy three used Silverwings or 650 Burgmans for the same price and know you own a reliable machine...neither Bombardier nor rotax are know for their reliability or holding their resale value either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,052,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
IMO They are WAY overpriced for what you get....you can buy three used Silverwings or 650 Burgmans for the same price and know you own a reliable machine...neither Bombardier nor rotax are know for their reliability or holding their resale value either.
Well, I know that thru at least the first three model years of the Silverwings there were multiple recalls. I had to take in my 2002 to have the back wheel replaced and also some recall work on the handlebars. There was also a recall for the gas tank, though mine cleared. Still, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with the SW. It's a good ride.

Btw, later years of SW production saw the price negotiable, but the first year wasn't. $7500 MSRP, though other riders reported that they paid more. First year for that large a displacement scooter, LOTS of interest, a low number of imports. The dealers had those of us who really wanted the bike by the short hairs

It's a similar situation with the Spyder. We paid MSRP of $14999, though the dealer tried to rook us by saying we owed the balance on a $15999 price. Seems the MSRP went up between the time we put our money down and the day of delivery. I waved the invoice at them that said $14999 minus the deposit and they had to back down In other parts of the country, with later orders, some were paying in the 20s for the bike.

As far as reliability, no major problems that we've heard; anything really bad about the machine would have had people screaming all over the message boards. The biggest pain about owning it is the cost of maintenance. Oy, having to go with factory filters and parts is expensive, thought it seems to vary by locale. One rider in Florida reports having to pay $200 for an oil change. If there's any reason to dump the bike, it would be for the cost of keeping it on the road. Insurance hasn't been that bad - about the same as any 1000cc displacement bike.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,393,775 times
I think there pretty cool, I've seen a few around, I don't think it's for me but i wouldn't mind trying one out just for fun.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, I know that thru at least the first three model years of the Silverwings there were multiple recalls. I had to take in my 2002 to have the back wheel replaced and also some recall work on the handlebars. There was also a recall for the gas tank, though mine cleared. Still, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with the SW. It's a good ride.

Btw, later years of SW production saw the price negotiable, but the first year wasn't. $7500 MSRP, though other riders reported that they paid more. First year for that large a displacement scooter, LOTS of interest, a low number of imports. The dealers had those of us who really wanted the bike by the short hairs

It's a similar situation with the Spyder. We paid MSRP of $14999, though the dealer tried to rook us by saying we owed the balance on a $15999 price. Seems the MSRP went up between the time we put our money down and the day of delivery. I waved the invoice at them that said $14999 minus the deposit and they had to back down In other parts of the country, with later orders, some were paying in the 20s for the bike.

As far as reliability, no major problems that we've heard; anything really bad about the machine would have had people screaming all over the message boards. The biggest pain about owning it is the cost of maintenance. Oy, having to go with factory filters and parts is expensive, thought it seems to vary by locale. One rider in Florida reports having to pay $200 for an oil change. If there's any reason to dump the bike, it would be for the cost of keeping it on the road. Insurance hasn't been that bad - about the same as any 1000cc displacement bike.
Yes it is.We ride with several of them and most are triked out.A used '06-07 SW will bring $4500-5500(same for a 650 Burgman) around here in excellent condition with low miles and lots of extras(ISO grips,mp3,backrest,Givi box etc)....THAT's why I said you can get three USED good machines for the price of one "ify" machine.I wasn't cutting the SW or Burgmans down at all.Heck,I love 'em.

I've NEVER heard of any problems with them for the bunch riding them around here,just complaints on lack of good color choice.I much prefer the Burgman 650 because of the extra power,but a SW rides a lot better/smoother.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,661,207 times
I'm not sure how this one would corner. The upside to the Piaggio is that it leans and turns like a motorcycle. To me that is the fun part of riding and I wouldn't want to lose that. It is an interesting bike though.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,661,207 times
I just bought a Red 09 Silverwing this week end. Can't wait for the spring. I've had two Helix and just never had any problems with them. I really like the service group at my dealership. Even though some of these unique bikes are interesting getting them serviced is usually a problem. I want something I can count on and can get part for.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I just bought a Red 09 Silverwing this week end. Can't wait for the spring. I've had two Helix and just never had any problems with them. I really like the service group at my dealership. Even though some of these unique bikes are interesting getting them serviced is usually a problem. I want something I can count on and can get part for.
I'm glad to hear you got it Drift....you must be excited

Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,052,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
THAT's why I said you can get three USED good machines for the price of one "ify" machine.
That's what I get being a night owl doing one of my last posts before going to bed in the morning. Heh

But, there's something I want to address, not targeting a specific poster because I read this same thing all over message boards. The refrain "well, for the price of <insert whatever someone is choosing to buy> you can buy <insert something the other poster would buy instead>."

Presumptuous

[begin vent]
Sure, I could buy <xxx> for the same amount I'm paying for <xx>. I would buy <xxx> if I wanted to, but I don't. That's the same kind of argument when we went to buy our Silverwings. All over the motorcycle boards, when the announcement came out that the SW was coming to the US, people were saying "crap, for $7500 (the average price new SWs were going for back in 2002) you could buy such-in-such motorcycle." Well yeehaw. If those people had the $7500, then let them go out and BUY that damned motorcycle.
I WANTED A SILVERWING
!!

The same principle applies to the Spyder. For whatever sane reasons to us (knowing that other people might think those reasons crazy - like I would really give a rat's *ss) that is something we wanted. And since I put in 50+ hours/week working for The Evil Empire, LLC, and apply the money earned to obligations first and fun second, I intend to spend that hard earned remainder on what gives me a particular satisfaction. Everyone else can just go p**s up a rope if they think I should spend it on what they think is more appropriate.
[end vent]

Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 118,927 times
I work for a Bombardier dealership in VT and I have to say not too many people are into the Spyder. It's a cool idea for people who have extra money to spend and are into the new cool thing. The Spyder drives much like an ATV, which many bike riders do not enjoy. The machine has an annoying safety feature that prevents a rider from really going hard into a turn.... it kinda starts to stutter and slows down... very frustrating for someone who is capable of riding and wants to play a bit. Not to mention, they are not that great on gas, and are quite pricey. I call them snowmobiles on wheels. We have a few people who absolutely love them but in general they fall short once you actually ride one. I would recommend everyone even remotely interested to go test drive one.

On a side note, I would love to try one of the Piaggio 3 wheeled scooters. They look really fun and cool at the same time.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,494,998 times
I know the looks seem to annoy alot of the biker "purists" for some reason, but I think they look pretty cool & futuristic, and would definitely consider one when I get to be too old to still handle 2-wheels safely.

Read one review somewhere that described a pair of them blasting down a windy road, and said they really conjured up the image of a couple Star Wars Speeder Bikes!

Only serious complaint is that they apparently get something like 25-30MPG (same as my car)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles