Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Nedely, I don't think this is the best place to get opinions on electric powered bikes or scooters. I am a daily bicycle commuter (29 mile round trip on regular pedal powered bicycle, not electric powered), but I know of several people who use electric assist powered bicycles. While bike commuting, I have occasionally been passed by people on electric assist bicycles. These are not meant to be ridden in the middle of traffic lanes like a motorcycle or internal combustion engine scooter. Some of the electric assist powered bicycles are getting very good. In China, over 2 MILLION electric bikes and scooters are sold per year! Nearly everything you posted is made in China.

Here is a web forum that has a lot of good info on your topic:
Electric Bikes - Bike Forums

What is your intention, to go at the same speed as motor vehicle traffic in the traffic lanes, or in a bike lane or shoulder along the right side of the street at a speed slower than the flow of motor vehicle traffic? All of the electric scooters you posted look like they are not suited to be in the flow of motor vehicle traffic. (I am not a fan of those electric scooters. I don't like the tiny wheels on the scooters - they are too precarious if you hit a bump.)
I don't want to be right in the traffic lanes. The scooters I posted all go under 30 mph and that is fine by me. After some thinking though, I've all but abandoned the idea of getting an electric scooter. Ideally, I'd love to ride whatever I get on the sidewalk. I've known a few people who traveled in bike lanes and got hit. Thankfully they weren't killed. I'm not about to take any chances.

I'm really leaning more towards an electric assisted bike like the izip ezgo. Peddling is good exercise. There are several hills I will have to climb, which is why the electric engine would be nice. Also, biking at 10-15 mph without struggling is also nice. And, I can get away with an electric bicycle on the sidewalk. Riding one of those other scooters on the sidewalk will get the attention of the cops faster. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
It is illegal and (very dangerous) to ride a bicycle (or electric assisted bicycle) on a sidewalk in most states. That's why they call it a side WALK. I'm not referring to children pedaling down the sidewalk to visit their little friends on the same block, I am referring to adults on bicycles at 10 to 20 mph along city streets that are also used by cars and buses to get from one part of a city to another. I always ride in bike lanes or along the right shoulder of roads that have enough space on the shoulder for cars to safely go past me. Luckily where I live, it is illegal to park cars along most "cross town" through streets, which removes another major hazard. I have several super bright blinkie LED lights facing back towards cars and wear a reflective vest or neon lime colored shirt. I use a rear view mirror on my helmet and always watch for cars that might attempt to make a right turn right in front of me as I approach every intersection. That is the most dangerous thing about riding a bike, and cars will never, never see you if you are on a sidewalk and all of a sudden shoot off the sidewalk and cross a street while they are turning right and hit you. Also, you will not be able to see the cars either from the sidewalk, and what about the poor pedestrian on the sidewalk who you will scare to death as you whizz by. I suggest before you venture onto the streets with an electric bike that travels faster than a human powered bicycle, try pedaling your route for a while with a human powered bicycle at a relatively slow speed. If you absolutely don't want to pedal by using the shoulder or bike lane while cars pass you by in their lanes, find a MUP (multi use path) that is separated from car traffic. Those have their own set of hazards too, but you might feel safer. Stay off the sidewalks.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It is illegal and (very dangerous) to ride a bicycle (or electric assisted bicycle) on a sidewalk in most states. That's why they call it a side WALK. I'm not referring to children pedaling down the sidewalk to visit their little friends on the same block, I am referring to adults on bicycles at 10 to 20 mph along city streets that are also used by cars and buses to get from one part of a city to another. I always ride in bike lanes or along the right shoulder of roads that have enough space on the shoulder for cars to safely go past me. Luckily where I live, it is illegal to park cars along most "cross town" through streets, which removes another major hazard. I have several super bright blinkie LED lights facing back towards cars and wear a reflective vest or neon lime colored shirt. I use a rear view mirror on my helmet and always watch for cars that might attempt to make a right turn right in front of me as I approach every intersection. That is the most dangerous thing about riding a bike, and cars will never, never see you if you are on a sidewalk and all of a sudden shoot off the sidewalk and cross a street while they are turning right and hit you. Also, you will not be able to see the cars either from the sidewalk, and what about the poor pedestrian on the sidewalk who you will scare to death as you whizz by. I suggest before you venture onto the streets with an electric bike that travels faster than a human powered bicycle, try pedaling your route for a while with a human powered bicycle at a relatively slow speed. If you absolutely don't want to pedal by using the shoulder or bike lane while cars pass you by in their lanes, find a MUP (multi use path) that is separated from car traffic. Those have their own set of hazards too, but you might feel safer. Stay off the sidewalks.
My husband was in a bike lane when he was hit by a van. The driver approached the cross walk looking to his left. He was going to make a right turn. I don't know what this driver was doing that he didn't see him. My husband had all those blinking lights and a vest and a reflective helmet and all that. I guess it was just his rotten luck. Thankfully he wasn't crushed. He got hurt, but it could have been much worse.

I wouldn't be so stupid as to ride on the side walk at 10 or 15 mph. I'd ride slow. There's just a few long stretches of road where the speed limit is 55 and don't have a bike lane. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
Just curious about the scooters. What kind do they use in Europe/Italy? I was over there a few years ago, and there were tons of scooters. They looked almost as big as a regular motorcycle. Does anyone know anything about them? Are those electric, or gas?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I agree that riding like a bike on the right is very dangerous. I had a small scooter before and bought a 250 Honda Helix so that I could keep up with traffic. I hold my ground and I feel safer. I get 70-80 miles a gallon which is great. It has a good sized trunk and the seat is very comfortable. Mine is bright yellow. I added a LED strip on the back that goes off with my brakes and this spring added a flashing light to the front headlight. I want to be seen and be as safe as possible.
Years ago I had a smaller one and people passed me all the time and it was scary!

Old 10-03-2008, 11:19 PM

353 posts, read 905,921 times
People don't care about common sense.

Oh it's so dangerous to ride a bike on the sidewalk.

Ok let's see.... bike to walker vs. bike to car which one would cause more damage in the event of an accident?

I get so worked up over bikers in the street. Yes it's the law but it's a stupid one. Do you really think your peddling behind is going as fast as my car? Nope and now I either have to drive slow as heck behind you, or try to change lanes quickly (along with everyone behind me) so I don't hit you. And that's assuming that I even see you.

I really get upset over this because ummm I don't want to kill anyone.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM

181 posts, read 635,554 times
Vectrix US :: Homepage:Vectrix 100% Electric, Maxi Scooter, Zero Emissions::Vectrix.com is the best looking, coolest bike designed by Italians and built by the British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles