Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,110,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
The Vespa GTS is 250cc and only 326 lbs. They also have a 300cc but I am not sure that will make it to America. I would love to see more scooters with the larger engines in a compact size.
I would highly consider a Vespa if i were shopping around for a scoot. I have heard they last forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I would highly consider a Vespa if i were shopping around for a scoot. I have heard they last forever.
They hold there value thats for sure

Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,043,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
They hold there value thats for sure
Vespas are the "Harley" of the scooter world

A whole side industry of Vespa accessories: clothes, matching helmets and top boxes, and accessories has grown up around them. Also a culture. Anyone heard of the move "Quadrophenia"?

There are other scooters that are just as durable and long-lasting as Vespas. One fellow rode a Honda Elite 250 he named Melawind (a precursor to the Helix) around the world. Other scooters have participated in the Iron Butt Rally IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders and one fellow did the 4 Corners Tour (ride to the 4 corners of the US in 21 days) on a Honda Reflex 250.

If you are looking for durability and aren't fussy about being stylish, there is a wide range of choices. If you want to be part of an IN crowd, pick a Vespa.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,317,214 times
Talking i would own nothing else

hey high springs, my bike only weighs 800 lbs and is very well balanced. the only operating cost is putting gas in it. i have had it for 4 years and the only thing i have had to do is tune it up changed a back tire. it' doesn't cost any more to own this then any other motorcycle. and it doesn't weigh any more then other motorcycles with a 1200 cc engine in it. there are alot more pros than cons to owning a goldwing. this is my first one and i 've owned ten different bikes and i wouldn't trade it for any of them. you have to own one to know what i'm talking about, there's nothing like it.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 PM

190 posts, read 681,984 times
Can someone explain to me how being a too manly for a scooter but a Honda Rebel is OK works? It can't be a size thing since it obvious there are scooters that weigh more, have much larger engines and longer wheel bases.
All I can come up with is shifting. Do you guys base your manhood on that??

Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,043,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Can someone explain to me how being a too manly for a scooter but a Honda Rebel is OK works? It can't be a size thing since it obvious there are scooters that weigh more, have much larger engines and longer wheel bases.
I dunno. Some scooters are shifty; some have kick starts. The whole idea doesn't make much sense to me.

I guess it gets even more confusing that many of us auto-scooter riders prefer cars that have stick shifts. I learned to drive on a stick shift and all but one of the vehicles I've ever owned were sticks. However, when it comes to riding, I'd druther have an automatic. There are just sooo many things a rider has to pay attention to when on the road with their bike, the last thing I want to have to think about is "oh crap! what gear am I in!" And, yes, I know some riders will go on about "it becomes second nature, just like a car", but it never did for me.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:

Maybe it's the size of those round things..............................

The wheels! The tires!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Talking Be Happy

Quote:

if you go through life worring about what everyone thinks you will never be happy. drive what you want. who cares if someone thinks it's not manly to drive a scooter, moped or what ever else you want to ride. i started out on a moped, a motoguzi to be exact. i don't care what any one thinks about it because they don't have a say in my life. so, ride what makes you happy and don't worry about everyone else.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
JFR - I had a BMW that ran forever. Just had to change the oil and keep the fuel filters clean.

I saw a g'wing the other day without any fairings or frills. That is a neat bike.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
JFR - I had a BMW that ran forever. Just had to change the oil and keep the fuel filters clean.

I saw a g'wing the other day without any fairings or frills. That is a neat bike.

yeah, they look alot different when you strip them down to a bare bike. i had stripped mine down to clean it once and it looked pretty weird. bmw makes a real nice bike. eveyone thinks there so heavy because of all the bags and fairing. but there not. all the bagas and fairing only weigh about 50 pounds all together. the engine is most of the weight.

Last edited by JFRRACING; 06-19-2008 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles