Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 11:51 AM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Taotao is the Chinese mass producer of scooters in the range of 49/50cc to 250cc engines(?). The engine was/is licensed from yamaha, Honda, or other japanese company IIRC.

My 49cc TaoTao, had a tail end and luggage&rack with HF reflector tape, similar to your attached picture. Any other similarities are unknown.
YBMV
Oh no, this old tractor with its 8 gallon tank and 1200cc engine, couldn't be further from a scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Would that be like having the safety on?

Of course, never go around with the safety off or half-cocked!
Wise words I'll be sure to remember when I own a gun.....wait, you were referring to your revolver, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 12:47 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Oh no, this old tractor with its 8 gallon tank and 1200cc engine, couldn't be further from a scooter.

just goes to show, that you can't be sure what's up front, if you only see the rear.

Old 11-11-2023, 04:00 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I work rotating shifts at a hospital and drive through a university campus. The other day I saw a small motor scooter (similar to Honda Metropolitan). What made it stand out was I saw the reflective tape long before I saw the bike and rider. This was well after dark and the bike was a dark color. The rider’s tape lit up like lighted devices from my car’s headlights even at a relatively far distance. I wonder if adding such material to a motor bike’s paint would improve visibility without increasing cost? Would you prefer adding your own reflective material?
Motor bike (like a motorcycle)? If the ICE bike has a generator or magneto that powers the lights, there are numerous neon light sets for motorcycles. But you can also used the self-adhesive reflecting tapes you have mentioned.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:20 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
just goes to show, that you can't be sure what's up front, if you only see the rear.
I have a feeling you weren't just referring to motorcycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Motor bike (like a motorcycle)? If the ICE bike has a generator or magneto that powers the lights, there are numerous neon light sets for motorcycles. But you can also used the self-adhesive reflecting tapes you have mentioned.
After looking at various lighting options for the motorcycle, I am leaning towards a solution like this.

You sell your bike, this stays with you plus the higher the position of the light, the easier it will be seen. It is also fairly inexpensive.

Old 11-13-2023, 04:43 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
In this day a scooter can be one of those standing upright motorized version of a kick and go scooter or it can be a sit down motorcycle with smaller wheels and motor. Motor bike was just my way of trying to differentiate between the two. One worker at the hospital has a bicycle with a gas engine kit. Not sure how you would define this.

Old 11-13-2023, 09:03 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
I was on my Triumph Tiger Saturday. From a red light, going up a 9% grade. In the bicycle lane, were 2 people on a single wheel platforms, wearing full gear. The light goes green, and they took off up the grade. I clocked them at 38MPH! These things are electric! And, they haul butt. The riders were wearing FULL body armor. Titanium shoulder sliders, the whole bit.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:30 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I have a feeling you weren't just referring to motorcycle!

After looking at various lighting options for the motorcycle, I am leaning towards a solution like this.

You sell your bike, this stays with you plus the higher the position of the light, the easier it will be seen. It is also fairly inexpensive.
Yes, there are a myriad of light kits for bicycles, scooters, and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM
In this day a scooter can be one of those standing upright motorized version of a kick and go scooter or it can be a sit down motorcycle with smaller wheels and motor. Motor bike was just my way of trying to differentiate between the two. One worker at the hospital has a bicycle with a gas engine kit. Not sure how you would define this.
That is true. By the way, I have seen bicycles and tricycles with gas engine kits in past years. Nowadays there are bicycles with electric motor all over the place. I have seen them in display at Lowe's and Home Depot, but these things are heavy

Old 12-05-2023, 03:47 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Yes, there are a myriad of light kits for bicycles, scooters, and so on.

That is true. By the way, I have seen bicycles and tricycles with gas engine kits in past years. Nowadays there are bicycles with electric motor all over the place. I have seen them in display at Lowe's and Home Depot, but these things are heavy
Not that I would recommend them,…but there are also DIY electric kits to convert an existing bicycle into an electric bike. The guys I know with the gas engine bicycle are low income workers. For a low price they can buy a used bicycle and convert it themselves to use as a vehicle to get too and from work at a slightly faster speed than pedaling. They don’t need a license nor insurance. I think the locks they have cost as much as the original bicycle.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:48 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not that I would recommend them,…but there are also DIY electric kits to convert an existing bicycle into an electric bike. The guys I know with the gas engine bicycle are low income workers. For a low price they can buy a used bicycle and convert it themselves to use as a vehicle to get too and from work at a slightly faster speed than pedaling. They don’t need a license nor insurance. I think the locks they have cost as much as the original bicycle.
No need to buy a kit. Used ebikes are pretty inexpensive. Just sold 2 ebikes at a price that I would consider below reasonable value, but that's the market. Acquiring a Christmas gift ebike which will better fit my needs.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:03 PM

977 posts, read 519,755 times
With the reflective tape, the lights need to hit it pretty squarely to see it. A better idea is the string of little lights that are run off a battery. I use them on my eBike, they could be adapted to anything round, although the spoke system is a bit easier to affix to the wheel vs a scooter wheel. I bought mine on eBay for less than $10 and that even included the batteries! You can see them from very far away too.

They similar to the ones below. You can find them for less than $7, and the lights have a switch so they can be ON or flashing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38574411123...Bk9SR46qw5GXYw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles