Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 08:24 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times

Advertisements

I’m quite adept at balance, former rollerblader, skateboarder, bmx biking, etc. E-scooters are difficult to maintain balance over bumpy roads because you’re not able to absorb the road bumps or shocks since you’re standing on a board and not sitting or gripped to the vehicle with your legs. It’s like standing on a surf board with shoes on.

I think the biggest issue is the handle bars can be the problem, when you hit something like a bump or pothole how you control the handle and steering can cause you to lose control. If the steering column suddenly loses grip and you lose control you’re gonna hit the pavement.

Speed determines how much time you have to react, the faster you go the less time your body can react. So after my fall, I got very nervous about going past 15mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 05:32 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I’m quite adept at balance, former rollerblader, skateboarder, bmx biking, etc. E-scooters are difficult to maintain balance over bumpy roads because you’re not able to absorb the road bumps or shocks since you’re standing on a board and not sitting or gripped to the vehicle with your legs. It’s like standing on a surf board with shoes on.

I think the biggest issue is the handle bars can be the problem, when you hit something like a bump or pothole how you control the handle and steering can cause you to lose control.
If the steering column suddenly loses grip and you lose control you’re gonna hit the pavement.

Speed determines how much time you have to react, the faster you go the less time your body can react. So after my fall, I got very nervous about going past 15mph.

Bingo. Gripping the machine with one's legs is a huge part of motorcycle control. Also, as you alluded to, the steering head angle, rake, and trail have a big impact on steering response (twitchiness and the ability to maintain control). Stand up scooters have a steering angle that is pretty much perpendicular to the ground, as well as virtually zero rake and trail. All of which adds up to incredibly unstable steering.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:03 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to say I knew two guys with some pretty nice motorcycle collections who bought Bermgans when they first appeared on the market and both loved them.
Being in my late 70s and having had some 25 or so bikes in my life I did not want to give up two wheels and I bought a Burgman 400 on the used market.
Different than a standard MC for sure with the CVT and ABS brakes controlled by the hands. And the scooter is very quiet too.
Everyone that I know that has had one really likes it.
The lower center of gravity and the lighter weight compared to a bigger cruiser like my old ride is nice too.
At my age I did not buy this scooter for long distance riding although many do just that with them.
I just could not give up two wheels. This might be my last ride.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:12 PM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Burgmans are in a whole different league than a standing scooter, or even a Vespa-style scooter, and some have larger tires than other scooters. There's even a Burgman 650, which has a larger engine displacement than some actual motorcycles. As such, saying "Burgman" covers a lot of ground - everything from a true 125cc scooter to the 650. In fact, the Burgman is classified as a maxi-scooter. It is far safer than a standing scooter.
The 650 Burgman is no longer made, but they do make a 200 and a 400.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:26 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Burgmans are in a whole different league than a standing scooter, or even a Vespa-style scooter, and some have larger tires than other scooters. There's even a Burgman 650, which has a larger engine displacement than some actual motorcycles. As such, saying "Burgman" covers a lot of ground - everything from a true 125cc scooter to the 650. In fact, the Burgman is classified as a maxi-scooter. It is far safer than a standing scooter.
The Honda Super Cub and Trail 125 seem to be a good compromise with scooter engine but larger diameter tires.

I work at a hospital near a university campus. When the electric standing scooters arrived for rental via an app, of course university students took to them to get around campus area. After seeing the injuries caused by them (through our ER) the hospital banned these from their properties and warned all employees if they were seen riding them while on the clock then they would be fired (large hospital campus). The liability risk was just too great. One registered nurse ended up with a broken arm from a fall on one of these on her off time. Our roads are horrible and those wheels are too small. A bicycle make better sense than a standing electric scooter. I don’t agree with the speeds electric bicycles are capable of unless they fit them with fatter tires close to the size of a small motorcycle like the Trail 125.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles