Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 08:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few off road 3 wheelers around my state still! I see them for sale every once in awhile.

Considering all off road riding is 'dangerous', I dont agree the Govt had any place to make them illegal...what about the guys who buy 2 wheeled dirtbikes and use them for jumps, going as high as 50-60ft in the air?!! ( a 3 wheeler is illegal but those are legal? LOL)

Govt should have just required safety warning labels, (even more so than dirtbikes have now), rather than just outright banning them), Im wondering if Honda tried to fight the Govt when it did this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 06:28 PM

10,349 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
.what about the guys who buy 2 wheeled dirtbikes and use them for jumps, going as high as 50-60ft in the air?!!
lol….
Attached Thumbnails
The Killer Tricycle Banned by the US Government-01ea38df-76ac-424a-b60d-c6b43fe9bbd3.jpeg  

Old 07-04-2021, 10:43 AM

296 posts, read 414,342 times
A two wheel bike can bank into a turn.

3 wheels are very tippy when built on a solid frame. A tilting mechanism built into the steering would improve safety. The two in front tadpoles have this don't they?

Old 07-04-2021, 11:01 AM

47,015 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Curious how a 3-wheeled vehicle is dangerous, but a 2-wheeled vehicle is not.
Well - on entering a turn, the centrifugal force (yes, it does exist, don't split hairs) will try to pull you out of the turn. Your support patch on the ground is where the wheels touch, so your center of gravity will always be above that - which means you'll encounter a torque force that will try to roll you towards the outside of the turn.

A 2-wheeler can bank to counteract that torque. A 3-wheeler can't.

All it can do is to start lifting the inside wheel. And because physics is out to get us when we're having fun, the effective arm for that inside weight gets shorter and shorter the higher it goes - in other words, we get less and less righting force the more we need it. Things go fast all of a sudden and presto, now you're turning cartwheels while straddling several hundred pounds of hot metal.

Oh, and braking makes it much worse.

It's the same mechanism in play when catamarans capsize - on second you're flying a hull and having the best time, the next you're treading water while pondering how to get the damn thing right-side up. Because the counter acting force from that hull diminishes the higher you fly it.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 AM

10,932 posts, read 4,595,747 times
psssshaw. I got my first in *73*

dad and his buds went to honda of monroeville and picked up half a dozen 'K3s' as they called them (ATC90 - 1 piece balloon tire wheel and no suspension) and would race behind the old cemetary near churchill. losers bought the beer. I was 9, dad let me learn to ride and being the lightest on a machine that in 4Lo would do just a shade over 25, won all the time. the rest is history. I got my first 4 wheeler (91 trx250X) in 91. and THAT rest is history. I should point out, that when the hearings for the consent decree were held in 86 (it was not a ban, it was an agreement) the video shown congress was a 8-9 year old tyke going over the handle bars of a crude yamaha *4 wheeler*.

as a long time triker from 73-91 the hardest part to wrap the human head around was off camber or descending turns. You use POWER to make it, which is counter intuitive hence, a lot of flippy flips. and when an atv is on you, I bet its ouchy.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

A 2-wheeler can bank to counteract that torque. A 3-wheeler can't.

get your ass off the seat to the inside, apply a kick to your inside leg, apply power. countersteer.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My Dad had two that we rode all over the place near our rural house. We also had these:

Somehow, we survived.

we used to throw these AT each other. ditto, we survived.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
get your ass off the seat to the inside, apply a kick to your inside leg, apply power. countersteer.
You can overcome the basic design flaw by energetically shifting your body weight around. Doesn't negate the fact that a tricycle design has its support and weight distribution arranged in a terrible manner for cornering.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You can overcome the basic design flaw by energetically shifting your body weight around. Doesn't negate the fact that a tricycle design has its support and weight distribution arranged in a terrible manner for cornering.
If your manner of cornering requires you to shift the top heavy center of gravity (aka leaning) sure but an indy car or nascar stocker corners a helluva lot faster than a bike. Gimme my choice, say a ATC250R or a ATC350x and give someone else a bike sized to keep power/weight ratios the same (aka class sizing) and put it on non pavement, the bike is gonna lose all the time equal skilled driver. which is why the tracks for both sports are way different and very little intermixing if any exist. the steering is done by the front contact patch and the single front wheel atv has a patch at least 4-5 times larger. atvs corner faster broken loose rather than adhered. since they go on dirt or rather non pavement, adhesion is gonna be non existent. im old now and no longer race any class but I can accelerate my 300ex thru a wet corner - just did so last fall during some hot laps to keep my skills up. a bike is swapping ends. (to be fair, I can swap em too, but with all the contact patch I have a greater modicum of control, literally modulate the corner with the tip of a thumb)

and its not a design flaw, its a different design. that is like saying a prop plane owner is comparing his straight edge wing to a swept wing jet and stating the jet wing is flawed cuz now it mandates more speed to get the lift....

Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
and its not a design flaw, its a different design. that is like saying a prop plane owner is comparing his straight edge wing to a swept wing jet and stating the jet wing is flawed cuz now it mandates more speed to get the lift....
I don't think I called it a design flaw? It's a design with characteristics that lead to non-obvious behavior for the unwary. Your point on dirt vs. non-dirt (adhered, good term) is very well received.

Remember in the late 1990s, when motorcycle companies competed on top speed? Blackbird, Hayabusa etc... They killed off their customers doing so and dialed back that angle of competition because actual lawmaking intervention was being hinted at. This is very much the same thing, as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles