Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 PM

924 posts, read 1,027,635 times

Advertisements

So I got a klx250 for my go to dirtbike since it is virtually maintenance free except oil/filter changes. I seriously love the trouble free stuff on this bike

but when I start doing super technical rides, the weight starts getting to me, esp if I drop it.

At this stage, I want to get a lighter bike; like a husky FE350 or EXCF oor maybe a 2T ktm. I am wondering what kind of serious failures these things go through? What kind of maintenance I need to do on the 2T or ktms

is it very oftent hey brake down? worried because I ride in some very remote places and if these things break down way out there.....its not going to be fun to get them out esp with the massive hill climbs in Colorado.

I am definitely keeping my KLX250 for the more relaxed trail rides, but are KTMs and Huskys always going through issues like people say they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM

929 posts, read 2,732,199 times
Default Enduro Dual Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
So I got a klx250 for my go to dirtbike since it is virtually maintenance free except oil/filter changes. I seriously love the trouble free stuff on this bike

but when I start doing super technical rides, the weight starts getting to me, esp if I drop it.

At this stage, I want to get a lighter bike; like a husky FE350 or EXCF oor maybe a 2T ktm. I am wondering what kind of serious failures these things go through? What kind of maintenance I need to do on the 2T or ktms

is it very oftent hey brake down? worried because I ride in some very remote places and if these things break down way out there.....its not going to be fun to get them out esp with the massive hill climbs in Colorado.

I am definitely keeping my KLX250 for the more relaxed trail rides, but are KTMs and Huskys always going through issues like people say they do?
I am very experienced with the brands and models you are discussing.
Your KLX250 is a real dual sport, designed for 50/50 riding. It has compromises on both the street and the trail.
If you are doing more trails and little street, nothing beats a true Enduro bike. Many to choose from, I do not think the maintenance is a big deal for trail riders. If your wallet allows, go buy the newest Enduro bike you can afford. Considerations could be a limiting factor on your selection if your state restricts what can be tagged or not , that is if you need a tag to connect the trails. 2 Strokes are lighter and more powerful cc to cc usually. 2 Strokes are also much easier to maintain. NO valves to adjust, no cam/s etc..
Many forums discuss this topic.
Good luck

Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM

929 posts, read 2,732,199 times
Default Enduro

Also,
I have put 1,000 of miles on my Huskys, KTMs , etc.. over the years.
In fact , of all my motorcycles, the new KTM 525 EXC I bought in 2005 was the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Zero issues , never left me walking.
Close second was my 2001 KTM 380exc ( 2 stroke ) I bought new in 2000.
Both of these machines were used for trail riding and adventure riding , both tagged and operated many miles from any roads or help.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,199,165 times
My neighbor's whole family are KTM nuts and they seem to have their stuff together these day. They race and ride a lot, but the bikes hold up very well.

Either that or they are too embarrassed to tell me about any failures.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:04 PM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
I don't have a "trail" bike, but do have a KTM adventure bike (1290 Super Adventure R). Absolutely amazing bike, excellent power, very good, functionally adjustable suspension (something so many "adv" bikes don't have) good ergos, easy to service. Best bike I've ever owned. I would like to try one of their smaller bikes and try some single track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles