Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times

Advertisements

If the answer was yes, but you were afraid of damaging your bike or even more importantly, hurting yourself, then there is a way to accomplish this without endangering your bike or yourself!

https://www.wheelieuniversity.com

I just attended this last weekend and what a blast it was!
I was sore as heck the next day but that is to be expected.
This class was designed and executed really well, after my initial attempts my nervousness disappeared almost immediately and I began to focus on the technical details to improve my runs.

Do not expect to be doing wheelies like a pro but it teaches you the fundamentals but you will be knowledgeable and confident enough to continue practicing on your own assuming you have a bike suitable for the task and a safe lot where you can do this. I doubt it will be anywhere near as safe as this course though.

That said, I would recommend going back again within a few months to solidifying your skills if you were a complete beginner like I was.

Overall, I am happy I participated in this class. It was an eye-opener.
I whole-heartedly recommend this to any rider at any age who has a desire for this.

Kudos and many thanks to Brian and his assistant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
I think this girl was in the class....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbl3NWNbYc

Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,725 times
Nice employment of appropriate safety gear, there Lady.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:47 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,403 times
i want to learn to wheelies because its essential for offroad riding once you start doing enduro riding. also any additional stunts you learn makes you a better rider as well and less likely to get into a serious wreck as long as you dont act like a hooligan in the streets

but thanks for this! didnt know there was such thing!! been trying to learn it on my own lol

Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I think this girl was in the class....
I wish, I'd have remembered them.....I mean her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
i want to learn to wheelies because its essential for offroad riding once you start doing enduro riding. also any additional stunts you learn makes you a better rider as well and less likely to get into a serious wreck as long as you dont act like a hooligan in the streets

but thanks for this! didnt know there was such thing!! been trying to learn it on my own lol
I am not in to doing stunts nor wheelies, if I ever practice it would be with full gear, in an empty, big lot away from vehicles, people and practicing VERY carefully since there wouldn't be any safety net like the one in the class.
I mean you really couldn't over do it and end up with a back-flip in the class. As long as you have some sense of balance to be straight enough before initiate the wheelie, there really is nothing to worry about.

After doing couple and over doing once and having that "Oh Chit!" moment and seeing it corrected itself my cutting power/applying rear brakes, I gained full confidence. Never felt unsafe about the bike.
Still since it went against all natural/proper riding techniques I have been using the last 12 years, unwinding and letting go off those "good" habits to do an unnatural act like a wheelie is the hardest part most will deal with.

I was so stiff, I couldn't stretch my arms as I was supposed to once the bike was up. You are basically fighting with your survival instincts. Apparently, my subconscious felt I was a delicate butterfly so there was much fighting going on.

All seriousness, I just wanted to experience this, test my skills (none) and hopefully gained new skills to help me become a better rider. I have experienced bunch of different "Oh Chit!" moments on the bikes from gnarly fish tails to blown front tires at freeway speeds. Doing a wheelie was a very different and needed addition to the list.

I highly recommend this class if you ever had any inclination. At the very least, it was a lot of fun!

Well worth the $$!

Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
Quote:

Riding enduro's, thats where I learned back in the 70's. It was nice to blast through a stream or wash on the back wheel and not get soaked and in the mean time soak your buddy beside you. I always had good running bikes, and kept it up with throttle and balance only. Then learned the use of the rear brake. Used with the throttle, you can ride as far as you like.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,181 times
I just like doing hooligan things with my friends. Myself in pic.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 01-05-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Riding enduro's, thats where I learned back in the 70's. It was nice to blast through a stream or wash on the back wheel and not get soaked and in the mean time soak your buddy beside you. I always had good running bikes, and kept it up with throttle and balance only. Then learned the use of the rear brake. Used with the throttle, you can ride as far as you like.
That is the trick. control by throttle only is tricky and harder. Rear brake makes it easier and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I just like doing hooligan things with my friends. Myself in pic.
If I was younger, I might have been the same way but it is all about the experience in a safe, controlled environment and becoming a better rider for me.

I didn't know standing up made it easier to balance and do a wheelie.

Btw, nice wheelie!

Here is me:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-24-2018, 08:00 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,403 times
ha ha jealous of all these wheelies. I think I will only stick to doing this on dirt lol. Couldnt go up these large rocks because I dont know how to wheelie while my friends were able to climb the obstacle

Eh one day!

Old 12-27-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
ha ha jealous of all these wheelies. I think I will only stick to doing this on dirt lol. Couldnt go up these large rocks because I dont know how to wheelie while my friends were able to climb the obstacle

Eh one day!
It really is not that hard to do a wheelie. See:

https://youtu.be/VikV6e4PRCo?t=488
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles