Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times

Advertisements

I bought a Buell motorcycle new in 2007. Not too much later, in the wake of the 2008 economic crash, Harley pulled the plug on Buell. I wasn't too worried, as I assumed that Harley would continue to provide support, parts, and service for my bike.

Now 11 years later, I stopped in at the Harley dealership where I bought it to ask about getting some service done. I was told that they no longer worked on Buells, and that parts were 'drying up.' So Harley, you expect your bikes to have a max lifespan of 11 years?

I wanted to buy American, but I suppose I should have been smarter than to buy a bike from a company whose model seems to be largely based on selling t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc. It's not a bike company with a marketing department--it's a marketing company that makes bikes as an afterthought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,533,615 times
I wonder if that's corporate policy or just that of the local dealer? For engine/gearbox work is there really any significant differences Sportster vs. Buell?

Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 AM

4,794 posts, read 10,638,763 times
Find an HD oriented Indie...I am sure a local HD indie shop would be willing to work on yours.
A quick GOOG search shows several big name parts suppliers that carry Buell parts, and I agree with burdell that the diff between a modern Sporty motor and your Buell is not significant.

As for the local HD dlr not willing to work on them, our local HD dlr won't even look at an older TwinCam A model, let alone my '75 Shovel.

Most of the HD dlrs got arm wrestled into redoing their operations into Taj Mahals in the '90s and 2000s, and it is mostly about moving units/selling tchotchkes and service on current models they sold to 'you', vs parts inventory or 'service' on non 'current' scoots.
GL, mD

Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Find an HD oriented Indie...I am sure a local HD indie shop would be willing to work on yours.
A quick GOOG search shows several big name parts suppliers that carry Buell parts, and I agree with burdell that the diff between a modern Sporty motor and your Buell is not significant.

As for the local HD dlr not willing to work on them, our local HD dlr won't even look at an older TwinCam A model, let alone my '75 Shovel.

Most of the HD dlrs got arm wrestled into redoing their operations into Taj Mahals in the '90s and 2000s, and it is mostly about moving units/selling tchotchkes and service on current models they sold to 'you'
, vs parts inventory or 'service' on non 'current' scoots.
GL, mD

Sounds similar to BMW, they'd try to arm wrestle multi line dealers into building a dedicated BMW showroom, even in smaller markets where it wasn't really economically feasible. I knew a dealer that they were trying to do that to, the real kick in the butt was one year he'd had to return a number of deposits when BMW couldn't supply enough of the models popular in his area, when pressed he told them they could come take their bikes away anytime they'd like.

I couldn't agree more about trying to find a good brand oriented indie shop, there are some really good ones out there.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,038,498 times
Most manufacturers only have to support their products for up to five years after it goes out of production.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Most manufacturers only have to support their products for up to five years after it goes out of production.
IIRC it used to be 7 years for auto manufacturers. IMO a decent manufacturer would support what they've sold beyond 5 years, required to or not, especially with motor vehicles where we're not talking about $19.95 coffee makers.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:49 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,627,163 times
If there's no parts, there's no parts.

I've never understood the whole "My motorcycle needs to be America made!"

Old 06-01-2018, 11:53 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,627,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
... a company whose model seems to be largely based on selling t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc. It's not a bike company with a marketing department--it's a marketing company that makes bikes as an afterthought.

How is it possible that you didn't know that about the MoCo? It's been common knowledge for a lot longer than 11 years.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
How is it possible that you didn't know that about the MoCo? It's been common knowledge for a lot longer than 11 years.
I guess I knew it to some extent. Harleys never appealed to me, and I've never had one. But the Buells were lighter & faster, and a friend had one and found it reliable. So I bought one. I believe Buell was largely run by Erik Buell, not by Harley, but Harley was kind of the parent company. Harley pulled the plug in the wake of the 2008 crash.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If there's no parts, there's no parts.

I've never understood the whole "My motorcycle needs to be America made!"

Especially when many in the past had Japanese shocks, forks, carburetors, along with some electrics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles