Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,704,244 times

Advertisements

A group of two dozen concerned motorcycle veterans has published a comprehensive research document that addresses the question, “Can this industry be saved?” Maybe, it concluded, but it's not going to be easy. Former Indian Motorcycle executive Robert Pandya formed the Give A Shift group this fall

No easy ride: Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast, panel agrees - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:59 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,266,750 times
bah. the complete and utter dominance of smart phones is the main cause in the drop in motorcycle ridership.

The riders who don't want their kids to be killed by a distracted driver and the millennial who prefers access to their smart phone over the freedom of 2 wheels.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:23 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,042,804 times
No the importation of 2nd tier technology into the US and the lack of choices and crappy marketing are the reasons that the industry is tanking. I've been complaining to Honda USA, about their product selection for years and still no Silverwing replacement, most dealers don't stock all models so we have a few choices. The downturn is self inflicted. Don't bring in the product and customers can't see what is available. Also not pushing two wheels as a commuting option/PUV Personal Utility Vehicle and as a luxury item is also an issue. Make lane splitting and free parking downtown in all cities and states and you will sell more two/three wheeled vehicles. We have the best marketing in the US, but they can't or won't sell us world class motorcycles at an affordable price.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:46 PM

9,573 posts, read 4,398,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
We have the best marketing in the US,
I disagree. I'm a lifelong motorcyclist (45 years) and I can't remember that last time I saw a motorcycle advertisement/commercial in the non-enthusiast media. Portrayals of motorcycles in movies/television is generally negative. Between people on sport bikes stunting on public roads and giant herds of excessively loud Harley's poking along below the speed limit, we're our own worst enemy. We're perceived as either reckless hooligans or doddering geezers.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times
caption under headlines of this article

Motorcycle and scooter ownership is high in South and Southeast Asia. (Dec. 15, 2017)

Let me count on one hand the Indians and HD I see very day in SE Asia...(or for the last 5 yrs

Sorry guys... wrong market, wrong perception, wrong functionality. You won't find 'moms' commuting on a scooter in USA with 5 kids and a goat on their MC. No Uber bikes! (motorcycle taxis)

*Note to USA Motorcycle industry. Things are a different these days and will continue to change...(Surprise!) Be ready!

Thrill... I will guess the future in USA means VR (virtual reality) Motorcycles ...i.e. a $10 software package rather than a $50k super (?) bike.
  1. Fewer tinkerers,
  2. more focus on safely (less daring clients) (today's buyer did not grow up on a minibike / farm / chasing rabbits)
  3. Better cars (Economy and functional)
  4. Cars that get better economy than a MC (but come with a radio, wipers, heater, AC and an AIR BAG)
  5. Bikes are WAY too expensive... (I still ride <$500 excellent MCs)
  6. More drivers + fewer bikes = much greater danger to bikers (not seen)
  7. Gear!!! Not uncommon for new buyers to have to drop $5k on gear! this not required for car drivers. (i.e. the industry has quenched demand / desire for 'Then-Came-Bronson' types
  8. More restrictive (My MC endorsement costs more than my CDL commercial, tripe trailers, Air, and Hazmat)
For new customers...I Vote the VR experience (spare the pain and the expense and risk) You might not like your new $50k toy

But... I will continue riding my <$500 FUN and FREEDOM seeking MC's. (wearing my jeans, farm gloves and boots and a good helmet). Same fun as 50 + yrs ago, similar price. (a bargain). Would I ever buy new? Sorry guys... wrong market, wrong perception, wrong functionality.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,633,927 times
Motorcycles are expensive toys. There's plenty of other toys out there for millennials and Gen X to spend their money on nowadays. Toys that didn't exist when Steve McQueen was the king of cool.

On a somewhat related note.. Think about all the vintage bikes (and classic cars) that'll go on the market when the boomers pass away and their kids have no interest in a '66 Bonneville (or a '66 mustang) .. It'll be a buyers market like no other.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,991,991 times
Most 16-35 years old who in the past explored 2 wheels cannot keep their hands off their phones long enough to open the doors of a motorcycle dealership. I swear the smartphone has complete dominance over a human's mind.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:14 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,182,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
No the importation of 2nd tier technology into the US and the lack of choices and crappy marketing are the reasons that the industry is tanking. I've been complaining to Honda USA, about their product selection for years and still no Silverwing replacement, most dealers don't stock all models so we have a few choices. The downturn is self inflicted. Don't bring in the product and customers can't see what is available. Also not pushing two wheels as a commuting option/PUV Personal Utility Vehicle and as a luxury item is also an issue. Make lane splitting and free parking downtown in all cities and states and you will sell more two/three wheeled vehicles. We have the best marketing in the US, but they can't or won't sell us world class motorcycles at an affordable price.
Margins are thin at dealers, you may or may not know that. Keeping excess inventory is a great way to lose money, but a Catch 22 as people like selection. I looked into buying a KTM and Yamaha dealer spring this year, and figured out it's a marginal investment at-best compared to other financial instruments. Buying myself a job also means kissing a lot of money goodbye in lost wages potential, but that's another story.

"Silverwing replacement" used to be what, the 800 Pacific Coast? They were amusing, wouldn't go over maybe 85mph w/o becoming semi-stable, but crazy good mileage. Buddy of mine rode a Silverwing for years and loved it, until replacing in 1991 with a then-new BMW K bike. Honda does not have a mild twin anymore, medium displacement? Market must have died for that. I'd buy a Suzuki Bergman, if still around, in that case.

I can't fathom why lane sharing isn't legal here, it dies in session in WA State yearly. I think we need SE Asia style (or London-style) traffic awhile before that's legal, and by that time we'll have population problems that make that concern seem mild.

If H-D is showing commercials with craptastic 800 lb motorcycles that make 75hp and riders all covered with leather, they'd better reconsider what's upcoming demographically. Most of those old fellers will be dead at some point, what do kids today want.

The $25K price tag for Ducati Multistrada and BMW GS well-optioned doesn't help either, it's all guys like me in the 40s and 50s with money to spend. Millennials have *squat* to spend, people, hence car sales problems too.

This is just dumb, if true. Don't be like Eastman Kodak and sink with the ship, denying that "them new-fangled digital cameras ain't going no-whar, it's just a fad!" I think it will take one or more of the Big 4 to abandon the US market before some changes happen, my guess is ...actually, I don't have one. Maybe Suzuki, if only because they reacted a bit radically during Great Recession by introducing zero new models or updates for what was it, 2009 or 10?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:19 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,883,740 times
Hmmmm..I think this article must only be referring to road bikes and more specifically, cruisers. Motocross racing, trail riding and adventure touring have never been more popular IMO. I went to the AMA Supercross in Phoenix back in 2010 and the stands at Chase Field were pretty much jam packed.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Hmmmm..I think this article must only be referring to road bikes and more specifically, cruisers.
yes, that is the mindset of USA MC Manf. .
Please don't make them think outside their very small box.
I will admit there are currently a boat load of boomers buying bikes they wish they had when they were 'dreaming of bikes', but it is really mouse nuts for market share. The dedicated riders never left and their tastes remain 'vintage / true experience / what they are familiar with and enjoy...

I really would like an upgrade, but I don't do 'plastic' on my ADV bikes, and road riding has minimal appeal. BTDT since the 1960's and it is not the same, nor will I ever be age 16 and excited to take coast to coast torture rides. 1,000 mile weekend runs and 300 miles 'after work'. I am quite content using my ADV bikes for 1-2 hr rides / sunny day. If I want to go somewhere... I use an aero-plane.

If I were a USA MC maker (and I am glad I am not)... I would target 'rental fleets' in USA and really expand that business. But my cash cow would be international sales. These buyers are nutz about USA iron, and they have LOTS of dough, and benefit to USA manf... little warranty costs cuz foreign nationals work too much to put very many hrs on their dream bikes. 10 yrs, like new! (and nearly new!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles