Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times

Advertisements

My honey and I are in the closing phase of buying a foreclosed house. The last owner started a project of trying to turn a yacht into a charter fishing boat, bought a 30 foot Chris Craft, gutted it, and then left it sitting on blocks where it's been for over two years. It has two engines in it, but the next door neighbor said he didn't think they worked even when the guy bought it. It's in the front/side of the house and quite an eyesore. I called the township, who told us that IF we could get it to the junkyard, we have to pay $65 a ton to dispose of it. Getting it anywhere would be a challenge!

Do any of the boat people have any ideas of what we can do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Take it on a 3 hour tour??

Seriously though, there are transporters that could get that thing to a dump. Start with tow truck companies. Of course, you will have to pay them and the dump but the boat would be gone. I'd say that boat would be 5 or 6 tons.

You could cut it into pieces, it's amazing what just a handheld sawzall can do, and transport the pieces with a pickup truck or a trailer but you will still pay the dump to dispose of it.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Craigslist free ads.

Otherwise rent a dumpster bin and get a few friends with sawsalls and hammers or sledges to come over and start smashing.
That's a pretty big boat and someone may want it. If it has the engines and outdruves those could be worth sine money especuslly if they are diesels.
What out drives and engines does it have? Can you post pics. Even if they are older Cobras or OMC they are worth something. The engines the gimbals and the controls could be worth a few bucks too. I wouldn't do anything until you have some prices to look at.

I used to buy jet skis and boats and made some good money just on the parts. The hulls I cut up threw in a dumpster

Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,428,520 times
And there's always the Craigslist "free, you haul" option. SOMEONE will claim it.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM

45,450 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Are there boatyards/dealers/marinas near you? A ChrisCraft is a relatively high dollar boat even if it's just the hull, so you might find a taker, meaning buyer, at one of them.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM

Default Here's a pic

As you can see next to this car and the house next door, it's pretty big. Hacking it up might be the best idea, it would save us a lot of money. The neighbor didn't say where he had it brought over from, but told us he had paid $1700 to have it transported to the house. I don't know anything about the details on the engines or anything, but my boyfriend will have a good idea once we start digging around it. The inspection was today and the septic next week, then we can finally close and have free rein there. I'm sure the neighbors will be happy to see it go, maybe we can have a "take your frustrations out on the boat" party, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get rid of old boat?-boat.jpg  

Old 10-19-2017, 03:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,456,737 times
I would put that sucker on craigslist and say you just want it gone at least. I'm willing to bet those motors are worth money too. A good mechanic could likely get them working with minimal investment himself unless they're totally destroyed. I'd consider cutting it up and selling a lot of the parts.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I would put that sucker on craigslist and say you just want it gone at least. I'm willing to bet those motors are worth money too. A good mechanic could likely get them working with minimal investment himself unless they're totally destroyed. I'd consider cutting it up and selling a lot of the parts.
That will be awesome, even if it only covered the disposal of the fiberglass. I hope they are! The cabin and all that was long ago gutted.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,634,535 times
I second the craigslist idea. You can give the motor away with the boat only if they take the whole boat. Somebody will want it it’s a Chris-Craft.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I second the craigslist idea. You can give the motor away with the boat only if they take the whole boat. Somebody will want it it’s a Chris-Craft.
Thanks, you guys are making me feel more positive with our options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles