Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,825,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone owned a British motorcycle in North America? Is it true they leaked oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,609,389 times
Lol. I recall the old jokes about "marking thier territory", Harley's included.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,254,088 times
my 2012 triumph hasn't leaked anything

Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 PM

554 posts, read 978,283 times
my 2013 Thunderbird doesn't leak, never has

Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,229,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Anyone owned a British motorcycle in North America? Is it true they leaked oil?
every Brit marque I saw of the '50's-'60's and into the early '70's all leaked/seeped oil. their casting and machining techniques, materials, and finish work greatly improved as time went by, but not before they'd lost so much market share to other brands that they were out of business by the 1980's. For the most part, this series of bikes were essentially designs from the 1930's-40's with incremental improvements trickled out in the post-war era to generate a difference year by year ... (oh look! ... a bigger front brake this year, next year it's twin leading shoes up front, then a bigger rear brake, this year a bigger set of intake valves, next year higher compression, and so forth ... little incremental upgrades/features to make the next year's model "new and improved"). The Brits needed export dollars coming in post WWII and anything they could build/sell to capture that revenue that sold was a priority for them to build and ship out. They already had existing designs and tooling in hand that proved to be popular with the exposure to Americans during the war, so they were ready to build more of that stuff to ship out ASAP. Hence the popularity of the Brit roadsters and bikes of the era, but they didn't keep up with the developments from other countries (Asian, German, Italian, even Spanish bikes) as time went by.

it could be quite a project to get them to stay dry with the sealers that came out in the 1980's, but with due care to dressing up the mating surfaces and careful assembly, they could be made to stay pretty much dry.

of course, the new Brit bikes of recent years are built with contemporary updated designs, castings, and materials. Have to be to be competitive in today's marketplace where an oil leaker is not a sign of quality design/build.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-07-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 AM

18,848 posts, read 8,496,907 times
My '71 Norton burnt more oil than it leaked. Vertically split crankcase seams didn't help.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,229,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
My '71 Norton burnt more oil than it leaked. Vertically split crankcase seams didn't help.
this was likely a production bike from an era when the Norton factory went through Brit gov't mandated changes to facilitate some gov't welfare/employment programs. Norton had to move production into a different facility and train new production workers who had no background in such work, they came from a fishing village background.

one of the flaws of the scheme was that Norton had to maintain production volume at their own expense while training the new employees who came from very diverse backgrounds, not industrial production work.

one consistent flaw that showed up was that the people doing the machining of the cylinder heads did it improperly. They left a spiral groove in the valve guide bores in the heads that was deep enough to weep oil past the intake valve guides.

Berliner (the USA importer) was soon alerted to the problem of the oil burning Nortons of those production runs. But they didn't have enough margin in them to do a recall to have the heads remachined and oversize valve guides installed to seal this up. It wasn't a safety issue nor enough of a EPA pollution issue to warrant further attention. Many dealers weren't aware of the problem nor were a lot of the bike 1st owners, they just figured that the bikes were oil burners.

I had some success a few years later drying these bikes up by replacing the intake valve guides and sealing them in place with a high temp industrial epoxy. A quick knurling of the intake guides with a UTP threading knurler and reaming to a closer tolerance than factory for valve stem to guide clearance helped, too.

I rarely saw Norton crankcases seep at the crankcase halves. They were pretty well machined to a close fit at the factory. Timing cover, head gasket, ignition drive, or cylinder base gaskets were much more common seeps.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 AM

18,848 posts, read 8,496,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
this was likely a production bike from an era when the Norton factory went through Brit gov't mandated changes to facilitate some gov't welfare/employment programs. Norton had to move production into a different facility and train new production workers who had no background in such work, they came from a fishing village background.

one of the flaws of the scheme was that Norton had to maintain production volume at their own expense while training the new employees who came from very diverse backgrounds, not industrial production work.

one consistent flaw that showed up was that the people doing the machining of the cylinder heads did it improperly. They left a spiral groove in the valve guide bores in the heads that was deep enough to weep oil past the intake valve guides.

Berliner (the USA importer) was soon alerted to the problem of the oil burning Nortons of those production runs. But they didn't have enough margin in them to do a recall to have the heads remachined and oversize valve guides installed to seal this up. It wasn't a safety issue nor enough of a EPA pollution issue to warrant further attention. Many dealers weren't aware of the problem nor were a lot of the bike 1st owners, they just figured that the bikes were oil burners.

I had some success a few years later drying these bikes up by replacing the intake valve guides and sealing them in place with a high temp industrial epoxy. A quick knurling of the intake guides with a UTP threading knurler and reaming to a closer tolerance than factory for valve stem to guide clearance helped, too.

I rarely saw Norton crankcases seep at the crankcase halves. They were pretty well machined to a close fit at the factory. Timing cover, head gasket, ignition drive, or cylinder base gaskets were much more common seeps.
The cylinder head seepage was mild and I covered that up by painting the fins black. I never did fix the valve guides since I sold the bike.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 AM

890 posts, read 884,619 times
1978 Triumph Bonneville, 750 cc twin. Triumph briefly returned to the North American market, after Trident production ended in 1975. I would say it seeped a little oil, not enough to stain the garage floor though. Except for a flat spot off idle from the carbs tuned for emissions, it was a great riding motorcycle. Can't say anything newer is any more fun to ride.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 AM

448 posts, read 366,610 times
Back in the 80s we used to joke that Harley fixed the oil leak problem and the first box of kotex was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles