Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:00 PM

9,789 posts, read 4,541,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
It's not just the torque but where in the powerband that the torque licks in.

HD's have gobs of low end torque much like a diesel engine. You don't have to rev them to the moon, just short shift and let the motor pull. That's one of the big appeals of them.

It is something a lot of sport bike riders don't understand. They like to brag that their bike will rev to 14K RPM. HD riders say, "That's nice. Mine doesn't have to".
What? We don't brag that our bikes rev high. We might brag a bit that our bikes put out 150hp+ to the rear wheel. I'm not even sure what "Mine doesn't have to" means? Are you saying that you're completely comfortable with a motorcycle that will get smoked by a fair number of family cars? What's your point? I like brutal, mind numbing, face distorting acceleration. You apparently are more comfortable with a very leisurely gathering of speed - minivan style. How can you possibly defend H-D's ancient, under performing technology? Frankly, as an citizen of the United States, I find H-D to be an embarrassment. Seriously. My friggin' lawn mower is more technologically advanced than most Harleys.

H-D needs to get their sh*t in gear. Their aging demographic is rapidly disappearing (aka, dying) and no young person in their right might wants anything to do with H-Ds geezer mobile lineup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
As far as building them up the only limit is your wallet. I think the big twins have gone up stock about 20 hp in the last thirty years.
No. The limit is H-D's ancient technology. Pushrods. Seriously?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM

39,977 posts, read 26,856,301 times
I never "got" the Harley thing...and yet bought a Indian the other day. Similar in many ways-an old-school, air cooled, modest performance V-twin. Not going to win any races with it. Any sport bike and the vast majority of ADV and UJM bikes will dust it. But still-love the comfort and am satisfied with the performance. I don't intend to drop much money in mods-can't see spending a lot of money just to be a little less slow and a lot more noisy. But there is something about the relaxed riding position and feel of a "cruiser". Right now it's my go-to, everyday bike.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 11,038,105 times
Ill tell you a story about how poor HD performance is. I went on a trip with a friend. He had an Ultra, I had my Suzuki Vstrom 650; not even a sport bike, a dual sport. We were on a two lane road, me following about 25 yds behind. When we passed a vehicle, mine way out accelerated his machine. By the time we completed the pass, I was right behind him.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 AM

39,977 posts, read 26,856,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Ill tell you a story about how poor HD performance is. I went on a trip with a friend. He had an Ultra, I had my Suzuki Vstrom 650; not even a sport bike, a dual sport. We were on a two lane road, me following about 25 yds behind. When we passed a vehicle, mine way out accelerated his machine. By the time we completed the pass, I was right behind him.
Depending on the year, the 650 Strom makes around 67hp (think new ones are a good bit better). And weighs 470 lbs. The HD makes right about the same HP or a little more, depending on year and model, and has nearly 500 lbs more to lug around. My Roadmaster is no better, and I also used to have a 650 Strom. Different tools for different jobs. Strom is far better in town, on twisty roads, let alone in the dirt. The big touring rig will be a lot more comfortable when you knock down a 600 mile day. Passing power, or hustling up a twisty back road, is not a cruiser's (let alone a touring cruisers) strong point.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 AM

4,855 posts, read 5,888,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
No. The limit is H-D's ancient technology. Pushrods. Seriously?
Pushrods have little to do with it. The "cheap and affordable" C7 Vette has the power to rival the 600+ hp v10 ohc supercar called the Viper with a pushrod V8.

HD has the displacements, but everything else sucks; the compression, head flow rates, piston design, cam grind or whatever. Just because it's pushrod doesn't mean anything, just like those who complain about a SRA and it's performance. I mean look what Porsche is doing when most of their cars are 3.6L flat sixes. There are pushrod vtwins you can buy that would put harley to shame...and I bet some of them aren't even that high of displacement.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Pushrods have little to do with it. The "cheap and affordable" C7 Vette has the power to rival the 600+ hp v10 ohc supercar called the Viper with a pushrod V8.

HD has the displacements, but everything else sucks; the compression, head flow rates, piston design, cam grind or whatever. Just because it's pushrod doesn't mean anything, just like those who complain about a SRA and it's performance. I mean look what Porsche is doing when most of their cars are 3.6L flat sixes. There are pushrod vtwins you can buy that would put harley to shame...and I bet some of them aren't even that high of displacement.
The Viper uses a push rod V10.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:27 AM

628 posts, read 853,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post

Now Porsche uses I4 4 cylinders and V8s

Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 AM

4,855 posts, read 5,888,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I ride a touring bike, mine is a Gold Wing and if I recall it's 125hp and 123 ft.lbs @ 4000rpm. As heavy as the bike is, it needs all the torque it can get.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading Goldwings have 160hp.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM

8,549 posts, read 13,676,922 times
One short answer: it puts out barely enough power to move itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles