Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
As stated above the best thing you could do is take the safety course, you will learn the basics and then some. There are people out there who have been riding for years and still learn something new taking the course.

Also I would suggest starting off with a smaller cheaper bike. You could really have your hands full with the bike you are looking at.

Also as stated above ,more power is safer doesnt sound like the best advice to me. It doesnt take much throttle movement to get you in trouble. Especially being a new rider.

Good Luck.
Excellent points. I'll add that he might want to look for a bike with a lower riding center of gravity with an upright riding position. (i.e. a cruiser as opposed to a crotch rocket).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
I bought a TL1000R sportbike as my second bike,first was a VF750C cruiser.
There was a couple of years between the two and I had no problems really.

The idea that a bike is 'too powerful' is a bit strange to me,YOU as the rider control that power.

You will go only as fast as YOU choose.

That said actual weight of the bike might enter into things,the C90 weighs over 600 pounds.

It also gets pretty bad fuel economy for a bike and has poor range....

Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I bought a TL1000R sportbike as my second bike,first was a VF750C cruiser.
There was a couple of years between the two and I had no problems really.

The idea that a bike is 'too powerful' is a bit strange to me,YOU as the rider control that power.

You will go only as fast as YOU choose.

That said actual weight of the bike might enter into things,the C90 weighs over 600 pounds.

It also gets pretty bad fuel economy for a bike and has poor range....
I invite you to search out an old Kawasaki H-1 (1969) vintage, take it for a spin, give the throttle just a little bit extra in first gear and discover why the bike was aptly named "The Widow Maker" . Granted, an experienced rider knows all about throttle control but I believe the O.P.is a beginer. My point being is that there are plenty of bikes on the market that will get an unexperienced rider in a lot of trouble real fast.

Last edited by exhdo1; 03-03-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Consider that it's almost inevitable that you will drop your first bike, usually some stupid 3MPH parking lot shamozzle. I'd recommend a good, cheap used bike to gain some experience before seeking out your dream bike. Buy right, use for a year or two and probably get most if not all of your $$ back when you're done with it.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I think the best advice is, take the class first, read up some more, decide what kind of riding you want to do, then buy a bike. The big cruisers are for the most part not at all like the old H-1 Kawasaki, but may not be the very best for a first bike.

Think about maybe a dual-sport, you are tall enough that the high saddle should not bother you, and you can do some of your learning in the dirt, and may want to keep this starter-bike when and if you decide to get something bigger a little later on.

There is a lot to be said for at least a used bike to start out with, that said put some good tires on it, replace anything like the chain that can get you killed if it fails (pretty much any wear part on the bike) You can find well-cared for older bikes pretty cheap, if you look.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Like others have said take the ckass first, when you do buy a bike take it to a parking lot and practice the things they teach you in class, handling the bike in a panic situation is so important, I suggest a small cheap used bike for starting out. I've seen guys crash their new bike in the dealers parking lot.
Be safe, buy a full face helmet and good gear.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM

782 posts, read 3,788,669 times
I will like to hear more.I know someone out there has jump straight to the big boy instead of the smaller engine.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Sounds like you had your mind set before even asking the question. Go ahead, get the "big boy", good luck to you.

My first road bike when I was a 6'2" 165# 16 year old was a used full dressed Goldwing. I had ridden dirt bikes and on/off road bikes sense I was 5 (not mini-bikes, real dirt bikes). I had the Wing 2 months before I put it on it's side one day. I then went down to a 750 to get used to the feel of the road, haven't dumped another one in the past 27 years. Listen to what is being said here in response to the question you asked.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 24,681 times
A good used standard bike from the 70's or 80's for about $1000 is the way to go. My first bike was a 1982 Yamaha vision 550cc, it was plenty fast and cheap too. Taking the class is great idea as well. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 108,978 times
i did the big bike thing for my first bike. i bought a used '95 honda magna. its only a 750cc bike i said. then i found out it was faster than you would never believe. it was quad carbed, piped and and ready for action. after a few years ridin i finally got comfortable with it. i could smoke a 900gsxr with out missin a beat. i even killed my buddies 1100 honda. he didnt stand a chance!!! i looked pretty dumb on it though, im 6'4" and 230lbs. kinda big for a 750, but i had alot of fun!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles