Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 AM

924 posts, read 1,028,162 times

Advertisements

hey guys! I am in colorado and I bought a 570 and not happy with the power
i mean its great for 0 - 20 mph but the problem comes when I am trailing up hill - seems like I have to hit full throttle quite often and my friends 570 is also the same way - especially going uphill in the snow! im like 90% throttle most of the ride until it flattens out. The 570 is just not for me - need more power.

So! we were thinking of getting a 1000! however, was wondering if an 850 is not even noticeable vs a 1000?
or should I invest in that 1000 for an extra 1500 dollars to last me on the long run?

or there is barely no difference at all that I will notice, especially trailing up hill and in the snow

I will post youtube videos of some of my atv rides, but not sure if it is allowed on this forum just so you can see the type of terrain i am riding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 AM

*bump* any experience with this?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,417,706 times
I don't have experience with Polaris.
What's your altitude? Have you checked for tweaks to increase power for your altitude?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM

39,932 posts, read 26,639,220 times
Tough call. Honestly, if you're considering a 1000, you're obviously concerned about performance. Might want to take a good look at Can-Am as well. Generally more reliable (YMMV), make more power and are lighter (though I think the 1000s are close on hp). Take a look at the Renegade XXC if you're looking for performance and can live without much for racks. I used to ride an 800, my favorite ATV. I also don't care for Polaris' engine braking or how the 4wd works (have to spin the rear tires to get the front to engage). Not a big deal for the average rider, but if you're looking at a 1k, you're probably not the average rider. Not sure on the details on latest ones though, I haven't stayed current over the last couple years. I've read about Active Descent Control, but have never ridden one. I'd like to see your vids.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-27-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Tough call. Honestly, if you're considering a 1000, you're obviously concerned about performance. Might want to take a good look at Can-Am as well. Generally more reliable (YMMV), make more power and are lighter (though I think the 1000s are close on hp). Take a look at the Renegade XXC if you're looking for performance and can live without much for racks. I used to ride an 800, my favorite ATV. I also don't care for Polaris' engine braking or how the 4wd works (have to spin the rear tires to get the front to engage). Not a big deal for the average rider, but if you're looking at a 1k, you're probably not the average rider. Not sure on the details on latest ones though, I haven't stayed current over the last couple years. I've read about Active Descent Control, but have never ridden one. I'd like to see your vids.
thanks for the replay!!

sure thing ill post it here. Its hard to tell on this video but some of the trails im riding in im going about 30 - 40mph and some of them are going up hill well...most of the time (colorado)

ill post a video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcV...1DVbCCkPHxBK2T

so this is the type of terrain I ride sadly I dont have more videos of colorado yet...so I cant show all the terrain but yeah I feel a 570 is not powerful enough for me. I was considering the AWD polaris since I do rock crawling as well when I do need it, but then that power for climbs and picking up that acceleration

i might go atving next week to a place where it does go up hill and its a straight track up the mountain but im usually at 90% throttle and hit full throttle quite often

I ride anywhere between 8000 - 12,000 ft but these are fuel injected.

i was thinking of the can am but not sur ehow they do in rock crawling with the QE..or is there a real difference between the can am 1000 and sportsman 1000? or they both have about equal torque? My main concern is snow and enough power when we are going on runs faster than 30 35 mph esp in snow. we do halt top a slow down over technical stuff but them I have to hit that throttle just to get back up to speed again

Old 07-05-2016, 12:09 PM

39,932 posts, read 26,639,220 times
Your trails look a lot like some of the country I ride around here, just that you're higher in elevation. The technical stuff you were on is where I don't like the Pol 4x4. If you're somewhere steep and nasty and have the front wheels pressed against a ledge or rock and need 4x4 to climb it, the rears need to spin for the fronts to engage. Not what I like in a "pucker factor" spot. (I ride a RZR now, I think the 4x4 is identical). And I HATE the way it freewheels on steep downhill spots. Keeps you on your toes with regards to brake manipulation when it decides to let loose.

I had a pre-power steering Renegade, hence no QE, just standard Visco-Lok. Never noticed an issue with it, at least in the summer. You could see a front spin in the snow before engaging once in a great while, I suspect the QE would eliminate that. At the least 3WD was there as soon as you engaged the button, unlike Pol where you're 2wd until it kicks in.

You might really like a Renegade in that terrain. The reduced amount of body work makes it a lot easier to see just where you're wheels are going (another thing I don't care for about the Pol-all that body work and rack makes it hard to see when going up steep grades-and they are just physically BIG machines). And on those steep downhills you don't have the freewheeling issues. I would recommend a winch on the front-if nothing else for weight to keep the nose down on steep climbs. Another nice feature is split front and rear braking-which is all I'll have in the mountains. If you're into sporty riding it's really nice to be able to lock whatever axle you need to manage turns best. On fast downhills, being able to "trail brake" with the rear to get the rear end to slide is a nice thing. Fast downhill roads/trails with turns was a place where I didn't like the Pol-between no split braking and the soft suspension that let the body roll, it felt like it wanted to roll off the mountain in a turn. And you might find the 800 is enough-IIRC about 75hp and 150 or so lbs lighter than the Polaris. IIRC the 570 is a bit under 50, but I might be wrong here.

To be clear, I'm not "dissing" Polaris. They (and all the manufacturers) make good machines. Just for the specific riding I do there are things I like better about other makes. And for the average rider the Polaris line might actually be the best-their 4x4 is largely "engage and forget", it kicks in when it decides you need it but stays 2wd otherwise. And many people don't ride the steep stuff where the freewheeling engine braking is an issue. No doubt they have the plushest ride and lots of storage.

I do wish Yamaha made a performance quad. Probably the best 4x4 system of all the makes, but the Griz is dated.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-05-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles