Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM

281 posts, read 368,767 times

Advertisements

Why not a Monster fighter? You've got the perfect motor for it, and it would be the perfect action to make good on your promise to lead Victory towards a more performance-oriented brand.

I'm not one of the Octane haters; I think it's cool for what it is, but in the end I don't want a clamshell-positioned cruiser. Personally, I want a standard motorcycle with good power, and maybe a little hooligan. An American-made Monster-beater sounds fantastic to me!

Sure, you could go straight super-sport bike, but that's an uber-competitive market, and one you may not succeed in. A naked (or not) sport-standard could even be a great stepping stone there, if a competitive crotch-rocket is what you want in the end.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:09 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
The Monster is a naked sport bike with 145hp. Nothing in the Victory or Indian lineup even provides a foundation. Not a dig, but they are cruiser manufacturers, not sportbikes. I would like to see Polaris come out with a "std" or ADV bike.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 PM

It is absolutely NOT a naked sport bike, it's a sport-standard complete with a relatively upright seating position and yes, a pretty powerful motor. I think Victory is well-positioned to build something with their new Octane's motor and be able to price it in line with the Monster 821, which has 112 hp.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:50 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,546,256 times
I have to admit, that would be an interesting package. And yes...I guess naked "sport standard" is a fair description. However, the Octane and it's motor isn't in the came league.

Quote:
The 2015 Ducati Monster 821 is powered by the same second-generation 821 cc Testastretta 11-degree engine found in the Ducati Hypermotard. It makes a reported 112 horsepower at 9,250 rpm and 65.9 foot-pounds of torque at 7,750 rpm. Like the Panigale, the motor acts as a stressed member of the chassis and is attached directly to the trellis frame.
In comparison the Octane motor is more like a John Deere with 104hp and 76 ft-lbs out of 1179cc. Out of similar displacement the big Monster pulls this off:

Quote:
The engine has been tuned for a peak power output of 160bhp at 9250rpm and peak torque of 97 lb ft at 7750rpm thanks to a lot of work on the internals which includes new pistons, new elliptical throttle bodies, a larger diameter exhaust, new silencers, inlet manifold, increased compression ratio.
50% more HP, as well as MORE TORQUE. ( I was wrong about the 145hp I mentioned, that was an older bike). I like Victory for what they are, but they have a lot of work to do in the engine development game to compete with the likes of Ducati. Or any other maker that makes a contemporary, performance oriented motor. The Octane motor makes decent numbers...for a cruiser. Which is their target.

Having said that, not every "standard" NEEDS huge HP numbers. The cruiser motor would still make a nice ride in a "standard", but that market is so performance oriented I don't know that it would make much of an impression with the buyers.

I hope you're right, that Victory (or perhaps some future Polaris brand) will come out with a more "mixed" line of bikes, with modern, contemporary, performance oriented motors, and not emphasize the cruiser focus. Standards, ADVs, tourings and yes, even sport bikes. I hate that no US manufacturers play in this market. Tough, tough thing to do, given the quality of the competition.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Absolutely, I agree, but I'm hopeful given their expressed desire to take Victory towards a more performance oriented brand.

Victory Motorcycles to make sports bikes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles