Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 11:40 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,868,166 times

Advertisements

Since you guys know a lot about motorcycles, and I know they aren't too much similar to scooters, but I think people with a more advanced motorbike might have insight on an idea I have. I already asked my scooter board, and nobody really had anything to say, as much as people mod them, it's rather odd no one has a clue, I guess. I just want to bring out the best of my bike, and eliminate as many known occuring problems, so here's the link:
Freaky lighting issues/Relay mod | Scooter Doc Forum

I wish I could find a more active board with more members, they are helpful with most simple, basic things. Things like repairs, and transmission mods. I've got the standard gy6 wiring diagram, and have redrawn most of it in sections, and have the diagram specifically for my bike(2014 Taotao Quantum), it's a little different than most of the common gy6 bikes having complete led lighting, and drls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,490,227 times
You only need one relay, and if you don't want to roll your own wiring, you can buy pre-made stuff (this company was the first to do so, I always did my own):

Relays

And the "flickering" is from a bad connection somewhere. It's either due to corrosion or something overheated (connector), those 2 issues cover 90% of all wiring issues. Pinched wires cover almost all of what's left and then you get into the real weird stuff that's a "happens once" scenario.

As for replacing the lights, for just a bulb swap there's no improvement found from moving away from the stock type. This is due to reflector design. Wire in the relay, use a higher wattage bulb and see if that's enough. If not, it's time to wire in some AUX lights to get the output you desire. Tons and TONS of tiny LED lights on the market for motorcycle use that put out insane light levels, which you use in conjunction with the OEM.

Good luck

Old 05-14-2016, 03:02 PM

344 posts, read 554,622 times
Here's a review of the Eastern Beaver kit...Motorcycle Headlight Relay - webBikeWorld

I made my own relay setup for front and rear lights, used 3 for each end. At the very least on the front you could have two, one for low and one for high. Use stout wire and good crimps. Eastern beaver sells nice crimpers, as does OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors, who sell nice kits with connectors.

Sounds like you need to go through all connections and tighten and check. I would take every one apart and use DeOxit on the connectors. Grounds are important, don't neglect them. Do not use dielectric grease.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:32 PM

13,190 posts, read 7,695,924 times
You got LED's? I need to check my store. I got Halogens.
BTW, I concur with all of the above.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:50 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,868,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
Here's a review of the Eastern Beaver kit...Motorcycle Headlight Relay - webBikeWorld

I made my own relay setup for front and rear lights, used 3 for each end. At the very least on the front you could have two, one for low and one for high. Use stout wire and good crimps. Eastern beaver sells nice crimpers, as does OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors, who sell nice kits with connectors.

Sounds like you need to go through all connections and tighten and check. I would take every one apart and use DeOxit on the connectors. Grounds are important, don't neglect them. Do not use dielectric grease.
What's wrong with dielectric grease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles