Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 PM

802 posts, read 1,683,017 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 22 in a week and I'm graduating from college next semester. I want to buy a bike during the spring as I have the whole summer off before I start my full-time job in the fall. I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I plan to purchase it completely on my own and take care of all the expenses. Still, my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Second question, would you guys recommend a 300cc or a 650cc as my first motorcycle? I was originally going to get a Ninja 300, but people have told me I'll outgrow it within a month, so I'm now looking at the Ninja 650. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 05:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 22 in a week and I'm graduating from college next semester. I want to buy a bike during the spring as I have the whole summer off before I start my full-time job in the fall. I have never ridden a motorcycle before, but I plan to purchase it completely on my own and take care of all the expenses. Still, my mom is reluctant and constantly tells me how unsafe it is to ride. I have told her I plan to take the MSF course and will ride responsibly, but she doesn't seem to listen. What are your thoughts on this? It hurts me that she is going to worry, but I'm an adult and should be able to make these decisions. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Second question, would you guys recommend a 300cc or a 650cc as my first motorcycle? I was originally going to get a Ninja 300, but people have told me I'll outgrow it within a month, so I'm now looking at the Ninja 650. Suggestions?

Please do not listen to whoever you are listening to.
There is NO WAY, someone who has never ridden before is going to "outgrow" any motorcycle, especially a 300cc Ninja. There is a mindset today that calls a 600cc bike a "starter bike". ITs all about how you ride, NOT THE BIKE!!!!! Personally, my advice would be get a used Yamaha 250 dual sport for a first bike. Ride it, drop it, get some basics, then decide where you want to go. Anybody that tells you you "outgrow" bikes is simply wrong. I bet my house that me on a DRZ400 will be a mile ahead of the average sportbike squid on a hyper curvy back road. Riding a small bike at 100% all the time is more fun, and will make you a better rider than wrestling a big sportbike using 10% of its capabilities, sometimes. There is more to riding than the rush of rolling on the gas [/rant]

And, oh yeah . . . Thats what parents do. They worry. That will never change. I told my Son I would do whatever it took to make sure he didnt get a bike, and he's 30! Its a dangerous, scary world out there for motorcycles now. Not like it was a few decades ago. I wouldn't want to face it as learner. I cant give you an answer on that. Parents worry. You are her/their child. Probably nothing is going to change that

Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
Motorcycles, oh boy.

My wife worked as an RN in the ER of the local hospital for 10 years. During that time I heard so many stories about bike wrecks that I decided that the risk far exceeds the rewards.

The classic accident is the guy in the pickup who does a left turn in front of the bike and you T-bone the truck.

In a car, you have structure and airbags to reduce injury. In a motorcycle you have none of the above.

However, at 22 you are invincible. Bad things happen only to those old people.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:36 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,031,619 times
You only live once! Live in hope or Live in fear! They're no guarantees in life. You can choose to live your life, live your things or both. Take the necessary precautions of a 5 sec buffer with the car in front of you. Pay attention to your surroundings and go for it! You're 22 not 15 its your decision. Get a 300 cc scooter, the insurance is lower and its a great bike to start on. Buy used and welcome to the club.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
I rec'd borrowing a friend's smaller bike, and taking MSF course on that. Or, buy a smaller beater, (street or non-street), and take the MSF course before you even think about street riding...

Many of us learned 'in the dirt/woods' as kids, decades ago and while a neophyte rider can become proficient over time, it is serious azz biz out there on the streets esp in congested suburban areas.

If you lived way down Rt 30 or Rt 206 in the Pine Barrens I would say find a running dirt bike and go learn on your own.

Or cop a scooter as some have suggested, though few handle as well as a real sled, in my experience.

There is a considerable learning curve to riding/braking/hard braking/counter steering, etc. and even after 53 yrs of a lot of riding I find that none of us knows everything and potential danger lurks at every turn, out there. Not saying don't; just advising to ease on into riding with good instruction and relatively less treacherous conditions.
GL, mD

Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Hi. I'm a newer rider too. I started on a 150cc scooter and then made the jump to a Ninja 500. If I had to do it over again I would have started on something with ABS. I personally found the braking on both the aforementioned choices to be inadequate. Telling your mom you're getting something with ABS may help ease her into accepting the whole motorcycle thing. It certainly helped in my case. I'd suggest considering the following street bikes:

Honda CBR300R ABS
Honda CB500 ABS (F, X or R version would work)
Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
KTM Duke 390
BMW G650GS

If you're looking for something on the used market the later version of the Suzuki SV 650 had ABS (2009-10 I believe). I currently ride a BMW F650CS which was made from 2002-2005 and offered ABS. This is a great bike for beginners and can usually be found on craigslist in the 3-4k range.

Good luck!

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 12-08-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Motorcycles, oh boy.

My wife worked as an RN in the ER of the local hospital for 10 years. During that time I heard so many stories about bike wrecks that I decided that the risk far exceeds the rewards.

The classic accident is the guy in the pickup who does a left turn in front of the bike and you T-bone the truck.

In a car, you have structure and airbags to reduce injury. In a motorcycle you have none of the above.

When did I ever imply that I was invincible? I understand the risks but for me personally, I think the rewards will exceed the risks.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:11 PM

I didn't even think about buying a bike with ABS, but that's a good suggestion and definitely something to think about. I'm just wondering if a 300cc has enough power for a lot of highway riding?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Don't listen to your mother she is not as smart as you are when it comes to motorcycles. That's what I did when I was 23 back in 1966. We didn't even have to wear a helmet back then.
Had my head on collision when the oncoming driver did not see me and turned right in front of me. I was lucky only had a broken leg and missed six weeks of work.
BTW that was when NJ had 1/2 the cars on the road as it does today.

I say go for it, you only live once. Do you have any brothers or sisters just in case? Don't want to leave your mom childless.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Motorcycles, oh boy.

My mom worked as an RN for some time and I heard many similar stories. I've invested a lot of time searching for bikes and can easily afford it but a few years back I decided that it simply doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles