Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,995 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I have not ridden a bike in over 10 years and recently saw a few Videos on Youtube on the KLR650. At age 55, I'm not getting any younger. So far, I've done some research and it looks like a bike I'd like to start riding with again. I like the dual sport aspect and this model has been around (with improvements over the years) for some 20 years, with a major mechanical and style change with the 2008 year model.

Now, I wonder what you riders think about this and, especially where, would be the best place to find a good used one? Should I have a mechanic check it out before I buy it, and what wold be the cost and inconvenience of doing this?

Looking for a Used Bike, I would start locally for sale by owners. Ya think I would get a fair deal at a bike shop or is their markup on used bikes generally pretty high?

I hope to find one after the 2008 style change, so 2008 or newer. Mileage Under 15k and price $3,000-$4,000. Does that seem about right?

Probably will be buying in Feb, March, April, in the Las Vegas Area. I've got a few months before I buy it, so I'm in no Rush at this time. I may even be able to get a better deal in the colder months.

Thanks for your Insight Riders !!

LVGEORGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,316,551 times
It doesn't matter what year KLR you get. The only change on the redesign was BNG and a fancier headlight surround that is more expensive to fix when you drop it. Mechanically they're the same, and reliable as an anvil, and about as complicated.

$3-4K, will easily put you into a nice, well maintained KLR. Don't be afraid to look privately too. They aren't exactly the bikes for squids.

As a fellow old(ish) fart, don't underestimate how much more offroad hurts than it used to when you were 25.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 AM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,057 times
If possible, I would bring someone to ride the bike, since you haven't ridden in a while. It's pretty easy to tell if a bike has been kept up. Rust, corroded wires, major damage, etc. A mechanic wouldn't check the internals anyway.

Craigslist and ADVRider are both good places for private party.

EDIT: The KLR is really tall. As someone with a 30" inseam, I have to shift off the saddle to reach one foot to the ground.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM

19,873 posts, read 22,770,851 times
ADVRider is as good as a place as any to find a KLR. As mentioned they are stone reliable, a little tall and can be put through a fair amount of abuse. There are A LOT of gently ridden KLR's out there..

Another good bike is the Suzuki DR650- a little less 'leggy' but still as reliable as a KLR. I owned one a few years back (having ridden both KLR and DR650) and found it to be a little better suited for my size.

Both are adequate for street and 2 track trail/forest roads. With skill you can ride single track, but neither are considered 'agile' other than by the more experienced rider. Eventually I wound up with a DR350 which to me was a perfect blend of what I needed. 6spd tranny for road travel to the forest, then I could hit two-track AND single track if need be.

You really can't go wrong with either. Have fun and be safe!

Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,442,743 times
A couple of thoughts from the perspective of a rider for the past ~20 years, certified/professional MC mechanic for the last 15 and enthusiast/advocate for new riders... oh, and as a previous KLR owner. The bikes are Tall and top heavy. This means that unless you are long of inseam (I'm a 34" inseam, which is perfect), you Might run into confidence issues holding the bike up while stopped. Unfortunately, confidence issues are not exactly a great thing for the new/newer/newly returning rider. Some will say "Well, just Lower the bike", but my personal, Professional, experience having been the lead tech for a motorcycle suspension company is that this introduces even MORE problems than it resolves.

So, first things first, can you be comfortable with handling the bike at slow speeds? It's not an issue of can you Physically do it, because I've known guys under 5' who had no issues (lots of confidence through experience), it's strictly a mental comfort thing. If you're uncomfortable, you won't do it. Just like you avoid that shirt with the itchy tag that Always seems to poke you, or eating that one type of food that tastes oh so good, but puts your bowls into a twist.

Beyond that, the bike is, as mentioned, an anvil. 3 decades worth of knowledge and support for the machines, HUGE online support through various forums (which spills out to having someone local who will Gladly help with whatever issue), and an overall Very capable bike that's been around the world, multiples of times. If it weren't for the seat height and weight (oh, and that stupid plastic change from 2008), it would be a Perfect motorcycle for new riders.

Yes, I hate the newer plastic, makes the bike Look ridiculous (subjective) while Also being stupidly easy to break and costly to replace.

Anyway, moving on... if you're serious about the KLR650, start looking for a local mechanic First. Chances are that the best person does NOT work in a dealership (they churn and burn through employees like crazy through low pay, high workload, encouraging "shortcuts" and low ethics, it's a major reason I avoided them in the first place and ended up being an independent). Look up the several different KLR forums, don't worry about the reasons behind the different forums (personal issues on behalf of a tiny number of people, all very petty politics), just look for the one that feels best to you, and Hopefully has an active member near you. Start a conversation with those near you, ask who they rely on for work they can't tackle themselves... if they do Everything themselves, ask if they'd be willing to help you look for a bike and do the PPI (pre-purchase inspection)... generally, those cost about 1~1.5 hours of 'shop rate', which can range from $60 to $200 (total, I charge 80~100 depending on the bike... sport/touring bikes have a LOT of plastic to remove). Enthusiasts almost always watch the local market anyway, and somethings know of deals that aren't actively advertised.

As for buying time... Normally "winter" months are best, but Vegas may suffer the same inversion as Phoenix where MORE people ride through the "winter" and hang it up for the "summer" months. I know that's what I do down here in Georgia, just no joy in riding through the oppressive heat and humidity of June-Sept. More than likely you should just shop for the best bike and forget about getting a "deal". At $3~4k, you will find Many motorcycles available. lol, the last KLR I bought was $900, one owner, 12k miles and needed a battery and basic maintenance (sat for too long).

You may want to seriously consider taking the MSF course (again if you've done it before), returning riders are statistically high numbers when it comes to accident stats. Overconfident of their abilities is the general consensus. And remember to Always wear riding gear, it sucks in the heat but I find that most folks would rather sweat a little and take a shower than bleed/end up in a hospital over a preventable wound.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,123,973 times
Everything you ever wanted to know about the KLR, all years.

KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! The Original KLR650 Forum!

Join the site (it's free and you'll have to anyway if you buy a KLR, it has everything you can think of and even more you can't) and you can get into their classified section to see what bike prices are.

I have a 2009 that I took with me into retirement. It's my favorite for all around riding, I use it pretty much for around town and day trips, on and off road, in Western North Carolina, but have also ridden it back and forth to Tampa, Florida. The ergos are perfect for me and all day comfortable if you don't do long hauls on the interstate. It'll do interstate all day long but it's not a comfortable ride at those prolonged speeds. Anything else it's down right terrific.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM

3,048 posts, read 5,010,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Another good bike is the Suzuki DR650- a little less 'leggy' but still as reliable as a KLR. I owned one a few years back (having ridden both KLR and DR650) and found it to be a little better suited for my size.
I had a DR650 briefly and really liked that bike. Way less bulky feeling than the KLR. Feels like a dirtbike with lights.

Another option is the DRZ400.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
Do some research on Advrider or the KLR forums. There are a few known issues, but they are pretty uncommon. Best part is the aftermarket has cheap, easy fixes for them (you'll see the term dohicky mod thrown around a lot). Also some '08s (and perhaps early 09s) had issues with excessive oil consumption. I understand a big bore kit (not horribly expensive) both fixed it permanently and boosted performance. The KLR is a great, readily available and very capable ADV bike. It's not the fastest, best suspended or lightest bike out there. But for a do-it-all bike that gets the job done without a big investment, it's probably the best available right now. Lots of ADVers prefer the pre-'08s due to less expensive bodywork to break when it's dropped in the dirt. But all are very good, capable bikes. Enjoy the ADV game, it's a lot of fun. And if you get hooked into ADV, this won't be your last bike. Don't sweat too much looking for the perfect machine-get one and ride. One nice thing about the KLR is that they are so common it's easy to find groups in your area that have them and will help you swing a wrench on mods. A great many, perhaps most, ADV riders start with a KLR or DR650. Both of them benefit greatly by some suspension work, but are usable stock.

A few others you might consider, that are also available in the same price range and are also more capable off-road, but less capable and comfortable on-road and less flexible. They are the DR650, DRZ400 (hampered by a close ratio transmission) and the WR250R. All are good, "entry" ADV rides. Unlike the KLR all need an investment in a bigger fuel tank for ADV use. I've owned a WR and DR650, of those 2 the WR had considerably better suspension, and was only a hair slower. I currently have Tiger 800XC.

As far as the seat height issue-all ADV bikes are tall, at least compared to street-only bikes. If you want any kind of ground clearance and suspension travel you're going to be up there a ways. The KLR isn't as tall as a lot are-the WR is taller (at least as I recall-my wife had a KLR for a while) and most KTMs far taller. Still, it's a bit disconcerting the first time off road when you come to a stop in a spot and your feet can't reach the ground. It will happen sometime (stopping and not realizing the tire was on a ridge between a couple small ruts is common). But you'll get used to it and learn not to do that after picking the bike up a few times. You can put in lowering links while getting your "sea legs", but it's advisable to dump them as soon as you're comfortable. They hurt suspension performance.

I started ADV at about 48...some of the best riders I've ridden with, that can kick my butt, are in their late 60s or even later. Amazing the amount of grey you see at an ADV gathering.

Your price and mileage range are very realistic. It's amazing how many very low mileage, several year old bikes you can fine. Good luck.

eta, I strongly recommend checking out the ADVrider website. Not just to learn about the bikes, but to find other ADV riders in your area. Off-road, it's strongly advisable, and a lot more fun, to have others to ride with. Besides, it's a great group of people.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-20-2015 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 07:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,670,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I had a DR650 briefly and really liked that bike. Way less bulky feeling than the KLR. Feels like a dirtbike with lights.

Another option is the DRZ400.

This.

I cannot say enough good things about my DR650. I competed with it in dual sport events, and rode it to work on monday. A true Swiss Army Knife of bikes. I kick myself for getting rid of it. A great machine for what the OP has in mind.
That said, If I was going to do it over again, I probably would opt for the DRZ400 for a few different reasons.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,333,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
A couple of thoughts from the perspective of a rider for the past ~20 years, certified/professional MC mechanic for the last 15 and enthusiast/advocate for new riders... oh, and as a previous KLR owner. The bikes are Tall and top heavy. This means that unless you are long of inseam (I'm a 34" inseam, which is perfect), you Might run into confidence issues holding the bike up while stopped. Unfortunately, confidence issues are not exactly a great thing for the new/newer/newly returning rider. Some will say "Well, just Lower the bike", but my personal, Professional, experience having been the lead tech for a motorcycle suspension company is that this introduces even MORE problems than it resolves.

If it weren't for the seat height and weight (oh, and that stupid plastic change from 2008), it would be a Perfect motorcycle for new riders.

Yes, I hate the newer plastic, makes the bike Look ridiculous (subjective) while Also being stupidly easy to break and costly to replace.
The comment about lowering the bike is interesting. Is this the case even if the front end is lowered the same amount?

I read the the new ones from '08 on have a seat height that is actually about an inch shorter than the previous edition, despite the manufacturer listing both editions as having the same height. I don't know if that is with or without a rider on it. I know the new one has less static sag.

Some people put crash bars on but that makes a heavy (for a single cylinder bike) even heavier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles