Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM

39,957 posts, read 26,726,745 times

Advertisements

I took the Tiger to work today. I had to wonder....where's the torque? The Rocket has ruined me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM

18,990 posts, read 8,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looking Good.
Triumph Rocket Iii Roadster | modern house plans

Back in the day the Rocket was BSAs twin to the Triumph Trident.
A little history on the name=
BSA Rocket 3
Summer of '71 bought a Norton Commando over a Rocket 3 mail order through a London dealer because of reliability issues. Details I cannot remember. Coming from Chicago, I rode the Norton all over Europe, and the only problem was excessive oil consumption from bad valve guides.

http://tenwheel.com/imgs/a/a/p/i/u/1..._750_1_lgw.jpg

6 months later I sold it for way more than it cost me new.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:15 PM

68,415 posts, read 54,749,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Summer of '71 bought a Norton Commando over a Rocket 3 mail order through a London dealer because of reliability issues. Details I cannot remember. Coming from Chicago, I rode the Norton all over Europe, and the only problem was excessive oil consumption from bad valve guides.

http://tenwheel.com/imgs/a/a/p/i/u/1..._750_1_lgw.jpg

6 months later I sold it for way more than it cost me new.

Good memories! I bought a new Commando 'S' in 1970, had the same valve guide problem too. Figured as long as the head was off I'd slip in some high compression pistons too.

Just curious, was the London dealer Hyland-Crowe Ltd. by any chance?

Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 PM

18,990 posts, read 8,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Good memories! I bought a new Commando 'S' in 1970, had the same valve guide problem too. Figured as long as the head was off I'd slip in some high compression pistons too.

Just curious, was the London dealer Hyland-Crowe Ltd. by any chance?
No not that dealer. I can't recall the dealers name, but I'm sure I could pick it out of a list.

I think mine was a Roadster.

Do you know of any other London Norton dealers from back then?

Old 10-20-2015, 06:52 AM

68,415 posts, read 54,749,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No not that dealer. I can't recall the dealers name, but I'm sure I could pick it out of a list.

I think mine was a Roadster.

Do you know of any other London Norton dealers from back then?
No, I just remember needing something I couldn't find in the states and contacting Hyland-Crowe, it was around the holidays and along with whatever it was I bought my package also included a very nice hand written letter thanking me for my order and wishing me and my family happy holidays. Parts could be difficult at the time. I needed a kick-start pawl, they'd apparently had a batch with the wrong heat treatment and I couldn't find one in 4-5 states. I lived not far from Berliner (importer/distributor) at the time, went there and was practically on my knees begging for one, I was getting damn tired of bump starting the bike. Thankfully they came through for me.

From what I see these days there's a better supply of Commando parts than there was in the '70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles