Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:04 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,797,934 times

Advertisements

I'm curious why there isn't a federal mandatory helmet law for all motorcyclists regardless of age.

This is just common sense. I just shake my head every time I see a motorcyclist riding wihtout a helmet.

There are already seatbelt laws for automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,044,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm curious why there isn't a federal mandatory helmet law for all motorcyclists regardless of age.

This is just common sense. I just shake my head every time I see a motorcyclist riding wihtout a helmet.

There are already seatbelt laws for automobiles.

The simple answer to this question is: It is a State issue and not a federal government issue. Each state can make its own laws regarding driving.

I do agree with you on helmet usage, I would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet. The brain is a terrible thing to waste and my opinion on helmet usage is this: If you ride a motorcycle and don't wear a helmet then you most likely don't have much up there to protect anyway.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,520,454 times
Because we have far too many "Nanny" laws already? Hell, half the laws on the books aren't enforced to begin with and adding a new one would only turn law abiding citizens into criminals.

I say this from the standpoint of one who's only worn full-face helmets and has only gone without once in 20+ years (went around the block in AZ once to see, holy hll it was uncomfortable). I think those who don't wear helmets and die because of it are no great loss, complete idiots. It's a fantastic idea, but making it law is just as ignorant as opting not to wear one... Just like seatbelt laws. Nanny laws (aka Mommy and Daddy laws, because they are forced treatment of everyone like they are a child who can't decide for themselves) have precisely ZERO positive value.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Because we have far too many "Nanny" laws already? Hell, half the laws on the books aren't enforced to begin with and adding a new one would only turn law abiding citizens into criminals.

I say this from the standpoint of one who's only worn full-face helmets and has only gone without once in 20+ years (went around the block in AZ once to see, holy hll it was uncomfortable). I think those who don't wear helmets and die because of it are no great loss, complete idiots. It's a fantastic idea, but making it law is just as ignorant as opting not to wear one... Just like seatbelt laws. Nanny laws (aka Mommy and Daddy laws, because they are forced treatment of everyone like they are a child who can't decide for themselves) have precisely ZERO positive value.
I just find it odd that there are billboards or signs everywhere telling people to BUCKLE UP or CLICK IT OR TICKET, etc but yet no forward movement to encourage usage of helmets for motorcyclists. Seems a bit backwards. I see many motorcyclists without helmets. I would venture at least 50% if not more.

You would think it's common sense but I guess sense isn't so common anymore.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,379,931 times
The comparison makes sense I think. Seats belts are a federal law, helmets should be as well (logically it follows).

Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,053,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The comparison makes sense I think. Seats belts are a federal law, helmets should be as well (logically it follows).
It is a federal law for car manufacturers to install seatbelts in their cars, but laws requiring that you fasten them are state laws. New Hampshire, for example, still has no requirement for adults to wear them, only children under 18.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM

281 posts, read 372,600 times
If it's common sense, then we shouldn't need to legislate it. I'll never be caught riding without a helmet, but I'll never advocate for a law requiring it.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
If it's common sense, then we shouldn't need to legislate it. I'll never be caught riding without a helmet, but I'll never advocate for a law requiring it.
I see enough of them riding around without and news reports of fatal crashes and many times than not they report rider not wearing a helmet. Sometimes people aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,730,820 times
All of these holier than thou helmet saints are even more annoying than the non helmet guys. Let us force our choice on everyone else. I don't understand why they wear helmets as they have nothing to protect either.

Lets do this. You first pass a federal law legalizing lane splitting in all 50 states then I'll concede for a federal helmet law. I think all motorcyclists can agree that is a fair compromise.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM

281 posts, read 372,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I see enough of them riding around without and news reports of fatal crashes and many times than not they report rider not wearing a helmet. Sometimes people aren't smart enough to protect themselves.
I don't disagree. I just don't think it's the governments job to make up for that shortcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles