Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:14 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,922,526 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the lane splitting as long as I know you are there. What frosts my butt is some ninja blowing by me at over 100mph out of nowhere. In stop and go or 30-50mph heavy traffic lane splitting probably helps. In heavy traffic going 70 a biker going 80 or 90 is dangerous weaving in and out of traffic. Reaction times for everyone are just too tight at those speeds. I don't ride anymore but when I did I was never much for blasting thru traffic because I just never trusted the other guy enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:40 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,864,580 times
It doesn't help with congestion. I don't care what anybody says. Of course those for it are going to cite
statistics" showing it is safe and eases congestion. Statistics don't mean ****. They can be scewed to fit anybody's agenda! Your 8 ft bike taking up space isn't adding any to congestion. And you can get it moving quickly as well. i reckon you will be gone and out of the way before I get my car (not cage) even moving.

What a joke. keep that crap in CA and third world countries. The rest of us driving the majority of vehicles on the road don't want anything to do with sharing the lane with some bike. Wait your turn. Your little bike isn't adding to congestion one iota bit!!!!

Old 09-07-2015, 10:17 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,175,970 times
To all the "wait your turn" "door openers" "special privelege" cretins who have never lane split ten feet in their lives here is the real story from the normally brainless state of Kaleefornia that has only done two things right. Lane splitting and right turn on red. Lane splitting or doing the "white line" actually started in the 1940's when air cooled motorcycles were in vogue. Our beloved California Highway Patrol actually started the practice out of necessity when their air cooled HD's began to melt sitting in a traffic mess. Very simple. Just a practical way to save the motors, and they still fly artfully through traffic today.........(think 90-100mph) on most days......they are always moving through traffic which is something all bikes should emulate. Sitting parked on a freeway is just a ticket to ER waiting to happen. I never stop for anything and after well over 100,000 miles of the white line I find that generally people are more courteous today than ever. They have just accepted the inevitable that they will be passed and they will like it............lol............so there ya go..........the ship has sailed and we will split the lanes until the freeways turn to dirt.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they start lane splitting in my area, Im going start kicking my door open at lights. you can wait just like everybody else, youre not special
LOL........now this is a winner of an idea.......I've ran over 30 bikes over the years down the white line with the largest one weighing almost 900 pounds with a six cylinder engine. I smile every time I see one of these door opening posts.......they need to consider over a thousand pounds of smoking hot 700degree exhaust pipes and angry motorcyclist occupying the front seat with them......it won't be pretty.........at best the door just gets ripped off with the driver at fault and sustaining major damage. Perhaps an attempted murder charge for good measure............think carefully before you open the door on your Prius............

Old 09-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
LOL........now this is a winner of an idea.......I've ran over 30 bikes over the years down the white line with the largest one weighing almost 900 pounds with a six cylinder engine. I smile every time I see one of these door opening posts.......they need to consider over a thousand pounds of smoking hot 700degree exhaust pipes and angry motorcyclist occupying the front seat with them......it won't be pretty.........at best the door just gets ripped off with the driver at fault and sustaining major damage. Perhaps an attempted murder charge for good measure............think carefully before you open the door on your Prius............
If you're doing your "door trick" at the stoplight we just head for the other side.........no biggie...........and you'll be the really distinguished driver we all know you are........every once in a while I will get the "lane splitting policeman" who tries to cut me off and just merge in like he's going to fix my wagon........I fake the opposite way and just go around the other side, keeps us sharp and is kinda fun...........by now you should get the message........we will go around you and you may just as well accept it..............

Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM

6,741 posts, read 4,431,979 times
The funniest thing I have ever seen is the lane splitting thing, and some one, not knowing the motorcycle laws, opens up a door, like on a 2 door car, a big door, and the guy on the bike hits it and goes flying. Im a biker of 40+ years, and it is still funny to me. Yes bikers are special. Just ask any surgeon. It keeps them busy.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
The funniest thing I have ever seen is the lane splitting thing, and some one, not knowing the motorcycle laws, opens up a door, like on a 2 door car, a big door, and the guy on the bike hits it and goes flying. Im a biker of 40+ years, and it is still funny to me. Yes bikers are special. Just ask any surgeon. It keeps them busy.
Thats pretty funny.

You sound like a stellar individual.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Your 8 ft bike taking up space isn't adding any to congestion. Wait your turn. Your little bike isn't adding to congestion one iota bit!!!!
Please explain your math. Shockingly enough, This makes absolutely no sense at all . . .

Ya know what, nevermind.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I call BS. Real bikers don't wish harm on any other rider.

But go on, you big internet tough guy hero, go for it. I'm the other cagers will cheer you on. And also local law enforcement for a charge of reckess endangerment. That applies to all you Monday morning policeman.

You are not allowed to harm fellow motorists for traffic infractions. That goes for lane splitting. See who ends up getting their buttts sued and jail time.....I know I'd be insisting on that.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,183,542 times
And the anti splitters are going to be the same drivers who take up the passing lane at the posted limit because "nobody needs to be going faster than the speed limit". Undisciplined untrained and unskilled drivers who feel they are enttitled to indulge in whatever bad habits they feel are somehow "correct". It really is a call for better driver training and some enforcement of impeding laws.

In Europe, where driver training is much more serious business, and driving is seen as a privilege to be earned, not a right, lane splitting or "filtering" is encouraged. Keeps the traffic flowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles