Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about California policies - documents in different places contradict one another. Here's my situation: I am in my thirties, and have had a C license since the age of 16. I want to get an M1 license so that I can ride a motorcycle on the road. I understand that I do not need to take a motorcycle safety course, but I still have to get a learner's permit for a year, and then pass a driving test? Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Written test will get you a permit, which will let you ride on the road with certain restrictions (can't remember what those are at the moment). You need to either pass the riding portion at the DMV or pass the riding test at the end of the MSC to get the M1 (in addition to having passed the written portion).

I don't believe there's a minimum amount of time between the permit and the license. There may be a maximum, but I've heard of folks renewing their permit before. And you don't HAVE to spend ANY time on just the permit. I took the MSC first, then went to the DMV and took the written portion to get my M1, so I never had a permit.

FWIW, most riders agree that the riding test is way easier at the MSC than at the DMV.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 07-29-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about California policies - documents in different places contradict one another. Here's my situation: I am in my thirties, and have had a C license since the age of 16. I want to get an M1 license so that I can ride a motorcycle on the road. I understand that I do not need to take a motorcycle safety course, but I still have to get a learner's permit for a year, and then pass a driving test? Is that correct?
Yes that is correct, If you are not taking the MSC be sure to practice at the DMV course, some of the testers are very strict. Personally I would take the course.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de.../checklists/mc

A lot of the confusion is because MSF is out. They didn't bid on the contract so they're gone from the picture. Basically it's the same though. It's just the MSF now is CMSP. CMSP waives the skills portion of the DMV test. You still need to take the written portion and the other fees. Over 18 there's no time limits. You can get your permit and license in the same day.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
While you don't have to take the riding course, my hunch is you will get your money's worth out of it. I'd suggest just take the course rather than "challenge" the riding test.

If you can find one that you can get to, a "Police riding for civilians" type course is a blast, we have one local motor cop who teaches here in town. The course was 2 full weekends of riding after a relatively short classroom session. I had been riding for more than 30 years when I took the course, still learned A LOT.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
I rode since 1980. Took the motorcycle safety course with my wife. We had a blast and I learned some stuff.
Our instructor also teaches CHP motorcycle officers to ride. We talked him into doing the test course on his 1500 Goldwing. Damn that was entertaining.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 40 years and still learned a lot when I started serious riding after a few years without a bike. IMHO it is worth the time and effort.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM

358 posts, read 349,088 times
I would still look into taking a course for beginner riders, it is something that may save you from having an accident. If you grew up riding or racing dirt bikes than you would probably be fine without a course. I learned a lot years ago when I took the test and we drove Honda Rebels which are super easy to learn on and have no power. What bike are you looking into for your first?

Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
This was back in the mid 70's in North Carolina. When I got my driver's Lic, the examiner asked me if I was going to be riding a motorcycle, I said yes, ( already had a bike and been riding, just waiting to get my Lic to legally ride) Then he typed the M endorsement on the Lic, and charged me $2 more, that was it. Things have changed.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 AM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
I went in and got the permit. Made an appointment to take the practical test. I took it on a dual sport, so it was second nature to me. They make you do a figure eight within the white painted lines. They make you do a circle within white painted lines. Drive in a strait line, up shifting and down shifting and braking, within some white lines. The white lines on all the courses are two feet apart, and it's an automatic fail if you go out or touch the ground with your feet. I was done in fifteen minutes. I've been on bikes for over 40 years, dirt and street, this is the first time I have ever had a license. I figure I need to get legal finally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles