Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times

Advertisements

I used to in Alaska, but the law allowed actual metal studs in tires and MI doesn't.

Did this for several years, grip heaters and an electrically heated sweatshirt I designed and made myself. I was inspired by a rider in Denver who also rode for years on studded tires. It works far better than you'd ever believe. In all the years I rode 12 months in AK, I never dropped a bike in the winter. Summer, well, that's another problem

One ride in particular stands out-I was riding the Glenn Highway near the Palmer Alternate onramp, when a woman in an Explorer came flying down the ramp.....slid gently across both lanes of traffic, into the median. The look she gave me as I rode a motorcycle past her was priceless. Made the whole ride that much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I rode year 'round in Pennsylvania. If the roads were cleared, I was out. Got stuck in some scary situations a few times, and had road salt wreck the forks of my Sportster, but I was younger and stuff didn't bother me like it does now. When I was a kid, deep snows were prime fun times for riding our dirt bikes, so grew up with no fear of winter riding.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I was inspired by a rider in Denver who also rode for years on studded tires. It works far better than you'd ever believe. In all the years I rode 12 months in AK, I never dropped a bike in the winter. Summer, well, that's another problem
I can't wait to try these babies out. Not DOT legal though...

Some of the dirt bikes tires for ice and snow look more like some kind of medieval torture device
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone in colder climates ride in the winter?-tires.jpg  

Old 11-15-2014, 12:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I can't wait to try these babies out. Not DOT legal though...

Some of the dirt bikes tires for ice and snow look more like some kind of medieval torture device
NICE!!!!!

Gnarly Gnobbage!!!! I love the yellow letters!!

I had tires like that on my Street Legal DR650. Even on pavement they are fun because they have no grip, so rolling monster power slides on ON Ramps and other low speed turn situations were fun, fun fun!!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I used to in Alaska, but the law allowed actual metal studs in tires and MI doesn't.

I don't understand that crap from a lot of states in snow country. We spend thousands on every vehicle for government mandated safety crap. Air bags, anti-lock brakes, crash tests, impact protection and soon, government mandated stability control systems and freekin' backup cameras. But none of those do a damn thing for you on ice. Yet one simple thing that can do more than all of them combined to save lives when roads are bad, are outlawed by government. Why? Because it costs a few bucks more to maintain roads. So we can pay thousands per vehicle on safety crap in order to "save one life". But when it means a little more work for the government, lives don't matter. Bullchit.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:14 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
When I lived in Colorado I rode in winter wearing a snowmobile suit. The magic number was 17 degrees. Colder than that was just too cold to ride for me.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:02 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Given the condition f the roads here, tire studs aren't going to cause much additional damage, they are already chewed up terrible. And the new studs don't damage the roads.

Interestingly, the law in MI allows the use of "approved" studs, but the DOT hasn't actually gone so far as to "approve" any. Too bad, they do help on icy roads.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Couple years ago I was moving and had to move a bike even further probably a good 25 miles, I think it came down to the last day I had to move it and was like 11 degrees. Had on like 4 pairs of pants, several sweatshirts, 2 jackets, etc. Didn't have any winter glvoes so wore some leather riding gloves but summer ones with vented holes. I probably made it about 5 miles and couldn't feel my hands, had to pull over. Was gonna buy gloves nad forgot my wallet. Was about to die and fortunately my gf happenned to be at the mall right where I was near so she bought me a pair of gloves and a facemask and finished the ride but took a few hours to thaw out afte that

Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
I have some hand warmers I have to install (along with a new stator), but my getto fix is to stop when my hands are getting numb and warm them by gripping the 2 stroke pipe (2T's run cooler so the pipe does not burn you).

Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I know a few guys around me in Chicago who don't winterize their bikes and pretty much just bundle up and get out on the warmer drier days all winter long. Just curious if anyone else in colder climates does this? I made the mistake of moving in the winter last winter and had to ride my bike about 10 miles to get it to my new place in Janaury and that's something I'll never do again.
Yep, Ski Doo 600 TNT here in MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles