Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:51 PM

531 posts, read 454,211 times

Advertisements

Had a 750 Ambassador many years ago, with Highway Patrol floorboards and a stomp shifter. It seems the current V7 is smaller. Is it just the lack of windshield, lights, etc., in the civilian version, or is it more of cafe racer bike now?
What happened to the crash bars?
Is it still good for highway travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 04:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
Old school looks and old engine technology but with fuel injection and ABS. I'd definitely consider a V7 Stone. They are really good looking bikes. My biggest complaint is their poor fuel economy. I've read they get like 40 MPG, which is pretty disappointing when a Triumph Street Twin gets 60+.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,160,219 times
Another ancient thread someone dug up, LOL.

Wouldn't buy a Guzzi for the mileage. Nor anything a bit strange like that. Buy it for what it is: a wonky design that sells a few units everywhere because we like to express our individuality.

Highest-quality, go JPN. Wonky and cool, go Ducati or Guzzi. Efficiently weird, BMW. Weirdly efficiently English, go (modern) Triumph. Pure Euro performance, KTM. American, H-D or (preferably) an Indian Scout, IMO.

In fact the latter is interesting to me for a reasonable-cost, fun runabout. I need to ride one. I'd buy either that, or a 'Guzzi Griso which at 100hp at the wheel and 540 lbs rolling isn't going to intimidate anyone. I like the look and thought about buying one for a lark, then realizing I have quite enough vehicles needing registration in my garage already.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,390,191 times
For me the extreme outlier bike for appearance over performance is a Royal Enfield. Despite how absurdly unreasonable they are I still really really want one!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 PM

531 posts, read 454,211 times
The Royal Oilfield is still in business? God help us!
(cue "Land of Hope and Glory")
What next, a BSA Victor that actually starts when you kick it?
What they call an "Indian Scout" is really a Chief. The Scout was 750cc.
Overhead cam V-twins make me laugh. The cam belongs in the valley, dumbo. You're not going to rev a 1200cc twin high enough to need four valves.
I remember the 750 Ambassador manual had a section on "engine alimentation". You know, those square-body Dell'Ortos.
However, the modern V7 doesn't look like much of a highway bike. Doesn't have a six-gallon fuel tank, for one thing. Different-sized wheels, so you can't just buy Dunlop 18-inchers. Curious how they claimed 60 hp back then and only 52 now. Somehow they've removed 120 lbs weight, so the performance probably is better. The looks -- well, the engine was a lot better in natural aluminum, and the black-and-chrome tank has never been surpassed.
If anybody here is actually cruising the highways on a modern Guzzi, let me know how well it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles