Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 AM

9,325 posts, read 22,124,477 times

Advertisements

I just put my 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie in storage for winter and removed the battery for the winter.

I just realized, that even though the bike has low miles (1,500) the bike is a little over 4 years.

Will it be time to change the battery?

If so.. recommendations on good battery brands?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,520,454 times
Best in what regards? Cheapest, lightest, most CCA, something else?

There is a LOT of opinion when it comes to batteries. Most of that opinion is just down to preference or experience (good or bad). I've been happy with most brands, even the junk you buy from Walmart, with only a couple that were dead on arrival or shortly after that (weeks). Given that I go through a LOT of motorcycles as a mechanic and bike flipper, I tend to just buy what's available locally.

Anyway, your options are a basic lead-acid maintenance type battery. You have to keep an eye on the fluid levels and if you should ever be in an accident, there's potential for battery acid coming out and getting on your bike/self. These are also the cheapest and most readily available.

Then you have a lead-acid that's maintenance free. In both these cases you'll occasionally encounter an off-the-shelf unit where you need to add the initial fluids. With the Maint. Free though, you cap the fill ports and you're done. There's still a chance of acid coming out of the battery if turned other than "up", but the chance is Much smaller.

Next is the 'AGM', Absorbed Glass Mat ~ instead of loose fluid, it's captured in a glass mat material. These are also maintenance free, and can be turned in any direction with no worries of fluid coming out. Optima is the most well known brand name for this type of battery, but there are LOTS of others.

And now days there are more cutting edge options, like Lithium Iron. Shorai is the best known brand here. These are Tiny, very light and most frequently used in custom applications (dual-sport conversions from dirt-only, bobbers/cafe racers where aesthetics is the main driving force, etc...)

I'm sure there are others, all are "best" at something or another. Me? I like the 2nd option, maintenance free lead acid batteries. They're cheap, always available locally, no funky charging requirements (yes, some batteries can't be used on the common/popular chargers). The last several I've bought have come from Advanced Auto. The Best one I've owned was a generic/no name brand that came in my truck and survived for 10 years.

Since you don't ride much, I'd suggest spending your money on a GOOD charger first. It'll extend the life the battery you do have, plus anything else you'll own in the future. I own a Noco Genius personally, though Ctek offerings are substantially similar (Noco had just leap-frogged Ctek when I was buying, the opposite may be true today). I'm not a fan of Battery Tender (also branded as Deltran) chargers, they tend to cook batteries, last generation technology, and they're just as expensive as better chargers. A company that's surviving on marketing/their name alone.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,229,492 times
I'm not loyal to any one brand, but I am a big proponent of using a trickle charger, even if the bike is ridden daily. Bike batteries are notorious for having a short life (relative to a car battery), but with a trickle, I typically get 4-5 years out of anything, even WalMart batteries.

Mike

Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
I'm not loyal to any one brand, but I am a big proponent of using a trickle charger, even if the bike is ridden daily. Bike batteries are notorious for having a short life (relative to a car battery), but with a trickle, I typically get 4-5 years out of anything, even WalMart batteries.

Mike
Here's the thing.. The battery is already 4 Years..
So time to replace?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,313,867 times
Just be prepared to change it when it finally goes.

I just changed out a battery that finally went. It was the original battery in my 2006, Honda 4 wheeler. I use it all winter plowing snow so I am rough on a battery and yet it still lasted 7+ years. Normally on the 4 wheelers around here they last about 2 years, if you are lucky.

You never know, your battery you have now may last several more years.

I went to NAPA and what they had was $120. and the acid came in packs and you added it. The problem with that battery is the Forestry Department is looking at banning the use of that battery due to contamination should you upset your 4 wheeler up in the mountains. So I went over to Shipton's Big R (Tractor supply type store) and they had 2 Maintenance Free batteries. $48, with NO warrantee, and $64 for a battery with a 2 year warrantee. I went ahead and sprung the big bucks and got the one for $64. Being in a small town, that was about all the choices I had.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,974 posts, read 58,881,946 times
I converted mine to NO Battery (28,000uF capacitor). Cost me $3 at a salvage electronics shop.

Your ignition might not be so happy with that arrangement.

I used to buy MC batteries from DeKa USA.

for normal service (your scooter) I have found that conventional Batteries are usually the least troublesome, keep them serviced and topped off (on a battery maintainer) ~$5/ from Harbor Freight.

For my service (Rough and out back) the simpler the better, no battery preferred.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,498,812 times
Maintain your battery with the correct charger/maintainer and you may yet receive more years of good service.

I wouldn't replace a battery except on condition; if it's working OK, then continue to use it. When it appears to be weak or failing, then it's no big deal to replace it.

As far as the replacement battery goes ...

Conventional lead-acid batteries for your bike are readily available and not very expensive. YUASA, DeKa, and a host of other brands are readily available at parts stores, bike shops, mass market discounters, etc.

If you want the "best" in the business, IMO, look at an Odyssey battery. Sealed, ruggedized, and capable of many charge-discharge cycles, light weight. You'll find that you can typically find a smaller/lighter one that will exceed the original specs and performance of the original lead/acid battery in your bike. But be prepared to spend a lot more money on this item, so you need to weigh the up-front cost with the expected use/service life of it. How many years do you think you'll keep the bike? Does it make sense to put an expensive 10-year expected service life battery into this bike?

Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,229,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So time to replace?
If it's your only mode of transportation, maybe. Othersise, meh. I got 6 years out of the battery the previous owner put in my VFR.

Mike

Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM

4,806 posts, read 10,714,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So time to replace?
None of us can know the answer...
If it were my scooter, I would be happy with the four years of service and I would buy a new batt, on line, as Spring/riding season nears. I would put the new batt on a low amp 'maintenance' charger for a couple days before you install it, and then use a that 'Battery Tender' type charger ongoing, as many have suggested.

If you plug in your scooter model + battery into GOOG, you will get pages of batteries for it, ranging from $40 to $120. All seem good, and I vote for sealed or AGM batt version.

GL, mD

Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks all for great advise. When spring comes I'll put on a new battery. There aren't a lot of options for service for an Aprilia and cell service isn't always reliable where I live so best safe than stranded in the middle of Maine woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles