Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,519,172 times

Advertisements

Lane sharing is actually rather safe and promotes faster traffic, works Beautifully in congested cities/countries when you don't have your typical raging 'Merrycan driver behind the wheel.

In the US, yeah, adding risk on top of risk. People are too stupid to realize that a motorcycle that's lane sharing is one Less vehicle in front of them/causing traffic. Usually they get all bent out of shape because "someone" else is going to get "there" faster. Can't mind their own dam business and worry about their life/faults first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 PM

22,130 posts, read 25,579,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Lane sharing is actually rather safe and promotes faster traffic, works Beautifully in congested cities/countries when you don't have your typical raging 'Merrycan driver behind the wheel.

In the US, yeah, adding risk on top of risk. People are too stupid to realize that a motorcycle that's lane sharing is one Less vehicle in front of them/causing traffic. Usually they get all bent out of shape because "someone" else is going to get "there" faster. Can't mind their own dam business and worry about their life/faults first.
I haven't really had many problems splitting lanes. Once in a blue moon you'll get a cager try and block you off, and a bit more frequently you'll have one change lanes on you without looking. In both cases, it's pretty easy to see it coming and avoid it. Then again, I'm also not splitting at 50 mph through stopped traffic. Usually only doing 10 mph more than the traffic. Before I knew it wasn't legal in WA and OR, it worked beautifully there as well... so I'm sure it still does, I'm just a lot less likely to do it now.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:24 PM

2,004 posts, read 6,867,554 times
I have seriously rode over the road and Enduro/cross country for over 20 years and I never thought/misthought to do this I rode my road bike on trips of several hundred miles a trip to a couple thousand miles a trip. I was more than a weekend rider for sure. I haven't road for almost 20 years and I just wondered if there was a class I missed.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 AM

41,457 posts, read 60,161,575 times
AFIK "splitting lanes" on expressways in New England is illegal and I do not ride the bike in high density expresssway traffic if I can avoid it. I tend to travel in the right lane left tire track on these roads. That keeps me out of the fast lane but still leaves me visible.

On the two lanes I also ride the tire tracks but when playing on a twisty road I will use all of the available lane to use late apex cornering techniques as appropriate. I still stay within the lane. I was surprised how control of the rear brake is improved by putting the control on the left handlebar. I ride a Suzuki Burgman 650 "scooter" with a "automatic" transmission. The thing is amazingly easy to ride quickly when I want to and at a slow walk when that is appropriate. The severe street tires make it less happy on gravel roads and I simply will not attempt loose dirt.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 PM

2,949 posts, read 8,422,353 times
Anyone who's been riding long enough will tell you that the yellow lines are the slipperiest part of the road, especially when wet. I try to avoid them at all costs.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM

46 posts, read 99,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
AFIK "splitting lanes" on expressways in New England is illegal and I do not ride the bike in high density expresssway traffic if I can avoid it. I tend to travel in the right lane left tire track on these roads. That keeps me out of the fast lane but still leaves me visible.
I do the exact same thing. I ask my fellow auto drivers how often they glance at the passenger side mirror when driving and the answer is most likely zero or minimal. In my experience, most car drivers rely on their rear view, or a combo of rear view driver side mirror. If I'm on a bike in the right tire track behind you, you will not see me all the time. At least I have a chance of being seen while on the left portion of the lane.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 AM

554 posts, read 1,067,198 times
I saw this last week while in southern Illinois on a quiet rural 50mph road. 3 cruiser/Harley type riders were coming towards us, and one of them was riding the yellow line on the slight bend in the road (leaning to the left). Handlebars and much of him were crossing into our lane. There were no potholes, water, no reason to ride like that. We were in a mid size suv, squarely in our lane. The bend in the road was slight, and easily rideable at 60mph+ without needing to cut the apex or anything.

I think it's just a case of 1% of the population being an idiot. Nearly every other motorcyclist I see rides well.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:08 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,495,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I ride in the "tire track" to avoid oil and coolant spills. The right or left track depends on which one has the fewest bumps and pot holes. I also expect car drivers to cross the double yellow line to straighten out corners.
I ride the right tire track. Riding the left is just too risky for me. On a windy day you can find yourself over the line in a split second. I see guys all the time riding in the center. Just the other day, I saw this guy riding in the center of the lane just as it started to rain good.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,106,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I ride the right tire track. Riding the left is just too risky for me. On a windy day you can find yourself over the line in a split second. I see guys all the time riding in the center. Just the other day, I saw this guy riding in the center of the lane just as it started to rain good.
I typically stay as far right as I can. I figure that if I biff it, I have a lot better chance flying into the ditch, than flying into oncoming traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles