Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:19 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,424,688 times

Advertisements

I will turn 70 the end of this year. The last bike I owned was a 1967 Triumph and the last time I rode on a regular basis was 1967. The last bike I ever rode was a Harley Superglide in the late 1970's.

I always thought Bronson was a cool character and I always wanted to tour the USA like he did except I have no desire to get into fights or to find work. Just the touring stuff.

So the other day I'm out for a cruise in my car and I happen upon the local Harley dealer and my car makes a turn right into the driveway.I figured I might as well go inside and see what these new bikes are all about.
It called me from across the room a brand new 883 Sportster in bright orange.
I sat and it and it started talking to me it was saying take me on a ride to California and the West coast.
I did not got to the dealer to buy a bike so I left without even talking to a sales person.

So should I just forget this nonsense and be happy that I can still walk without a walker or should I say screw it and buy the bike and take my chances on the road with a bunch of crazy car drivers.

Still dreaming in NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
At the point you are in your life if you want to get that Harley and drive to California then go and do it. If you over think it you will talk yourself out of it.

I would suggest a few things though before you leave, just because they are practical but only IF they apply. This advice applies even if you don't go for the California ride.

IF you have family/children and have not done it yet, get your will written, purchase good life insurance and have your funeral paid for and planned.

After that, pack your bag, get on your bike and have a great time and I wish you a most pleasant and safe ride.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,507,499 times
The happiest couple Ive ever run into while I was riding my Husky in Baja were a couple in their 70s, both on BMaWs who were riding the whole pennsula. Spare tires pilled on top of there luggage boxes and all. If youre healthy enough to ride, do it. If you dont you may regret it one day when your not so capable. In the end only you can make the call. But plenty others do it, so its not such a stretch these days for many. You only live once..

Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,418,235 times
Hellsyeah!!! You are only as old as you allow yourself to be!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM

364 posts, read 561,311 times
I think you should ABSOLUTELY DO IT!

With one modification. I'm not going to start a Harley vs. other bashing competition, I'm going to stick to facts and reality.

You are 70 years old. Harleys vibrate like hell, some more than others. If I were to take a long trip on a Harley, where all-day comfort is an issue, it wouldn't be on an 883.

I think there are more affordable, more efficient, better handling, lighter, trouble-free motorcycles to consider. My short list for you to look into would be:

-Suzuki V-Strom 650 (or 1000 if you like... both will have capabilities exceeding HDs in handling, ground clearance, fuel efficiency, etc.)
-New Honda NV 700. Some people say those bikes are "boring" or "soulless." If your definition of boring and soulless is a bike that's as reliable, maintenance-free, and affordable as a hammer, yeah... very boring bike.
-Kawasaki Versys. There are used examples readily available that have proven to be quality bikes.

If you want to spend a bit more money, BMW pretty much has the long-distance segment nailed. They make reliable, ergonomic motorcycles.

Motorcycles have changed SIGNIFICANTLY since your last riding experience. They aren't nearly as labor-intensive, and are MUCH more reliable in general. Many now have fuel injection, disc brakes are standard on all but the cheapest econo-bikes, etc.

I would join a motorcycle forum (read: not a Harley specific forum... a motorcycle forum) and ask this same question. Cycleworld.com has a very good community.

Good luck to you, sir. Rubber side down.

Last edited by Liquid Sword; 07-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-11-2013, 12:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,446,824 times
I agree and second everything said above (er, except the praise for BMtroubleUs ~ when they work, great... but they don't always work, and when they Don't you're gonna get raked over the coals... at least from my perspective as a MC mechanic since 2000).

Get the necessary "not pleasant to talk about" stuff situated (everyone, I've had mine sorted since I was 30) incase the worst happens and then carry on with the plans.

Find the right bike. Any bike CAN be the 'right' one, and that 'right' bike is going to be different for each person. Forget the recommendations for or against and judge for yourself. Anything with ~25hp at the rear wheel can do freeway seeds anywhere in the country, so you'll be More than fine on the Much better secondary roads. Pick something comfortable to you, that you like, get it prepped and go.

That prepping thing... lol, you can have ANYTHING on a motorcycle these days. I have, quite literally, seen a BMtroubleU rider pull a 12vdc espresso machine out of his 438-liter polished aluminum pannier/saddlebag. I mean, you get SOME of these long-distance nerds (IBR guys ~ Iron Butt Rally) and they load up their bikes with unbelievable amounts of tech:

Most run 2 GPS units, radar, SPOT, CB/shortwave radio, FRS radio, intercom for incoming phone calls and music of some sort.

heh, it's a long way from even when I started riding in the early '90s when paper maps still ruled the world. You'd just toss your clothes, tent and bag in saddlebags and head off in a random direction. If you can think it today, you can do it.

Have fun, get out there and do it!

Old 07-11-2013, 12:43 PM

364 posts, read 561,311 times
Haha! Brian, I know the troubles of which you speak, but I also know many who have been quite content and had no trouble with their beemers.

I too have seen pictures like this one:

Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,446,824 times
Yup, final drives, transmissions, electronics, fires.... oh-my! Took me buying a BMW (full records, 2 enthusiast owner, the "ideal" used purchase scenario) to really learn the full extent. After being stranded 3 big rides in a row (overnight trips, not just local runs), and having sunk over $3k into repairs between those 3 rides, I opted out. Thanks, I'll stick with $1000 used Japanese bikes that go for 100k miles with no real maintenance complications to speak of. Doesn't matter how badly abused those bikes come in either, my average "get 'em running" cost is $300... been cross the country a few times on those bikes and none of them have even come close to sucking out the kind of money my BMtroubleU did. Heck, I think you'd have to combine the 4~5 WORST bikes to equal the money sunk into the BMtroubleU, and dozens of years to the 4 months.

It's Certainly not the bike that makes the experience. The experience can be had on any motorcycle. Oh, and I'm not leaving out HD's or cruisers, I just don't have personal experience because cruisers are the least comfortable style of bike I've ever been forced to ride (torture devices that leave me crippled and unable to stand up straight, much less walk, after as few as 30 miles). And HD's are just outside of my price range... while I'm a factory certified HD mechanic, the only ones I work on are those that are Heavily modified or neglected for a long period of time (I mean other than routine maintenance, I have a few customers who have me change their fluids/consumables ~ those bike never seem to have issues).

Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,030,724 times
Do it.

Go check out the Triumphs. I think the Bonneville is the comparable bike to the HD 883.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:31 PM

34,146 posts, read 83,178,782 times
The concern is less about YOU and YOUR ability to ride...
than it is about the nature of traffic in most areas today compared to then.

You see it in your car I'm sure but try really looking for it.
The raw number of cars, the number per traffic lane, the general stupidity and obliviousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles