Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,082,142 times

Advertisements

Prior to owning the Magna I owned an SV650, which is why I was most interested in another V-Twin sport bike, and a big reason i was happy to try out the Superhawk.

A friend has a TLR that I had the opportunity to ride several times. Great bike, especially for power. His had a slightly warped rotor, which caused some minor pucker in a high speed deceleration once...and the riding position is definitely a superbike position. Coming from the SV, I was waning something a bit more upright, would have loved a Ducati Monster but couldn't find one around for the right price...SV1000's seem to be incredibly rare here in the midwest, whenever they do show up, people are wanting top dollar for them...and understandably so. The engine is a detuned TL1000R motor, making about 120 horsepower compared to the 130ish that the TL produced. I also believe the fuel mapping was a little more accurate and didn't create the mid throttle lumps that the TL was known for. It was a real tough call between the two bikes, the TL that was offered was the better looking of the two...but the TL has a few more quirky problems than the Honda, mostly alternator discharging issues and fuel tank leaks...where as the Honda has Cam Chain Tensioners and early models felt similar charging issues...later models it wasn't a big deal apparently.

Either way, I likely won't be putting the motorcycle on the track anytime in the near future...so either bike would have been fine for my 5/10's riding...on my fast riding, i'm about an 7/10th at most ...aka, I'm a slow poke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,384,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Lot of guys like(d) Superhawks, over the years. Came out in what, c. 1997? Interesting days, when the Suzuki TL1000S, then TL1000R, then Honda Superhawk (order may be off a bit) vied with Ducati for track supremacy. Then the RC51 came along in Y2K...never mind.

That said, put 50K miles on a Honda Blackbird (massive inline-4), almost as many on an FJ1100 more than 20 years ago, and had plenty of use for literbike GT-type bikes as general-purpose mid to long-distance tourers, too.

Hondas crack me up: that Blackbird never, not once, let me down mechanically.

Those v-twins were cool. I wish they still made them.

Honda should have kept the Blackbird to compete with the ZX-14 and the Hayabusa.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM

20 posts, read 42,987 times
I don't envy you in fixing that rats nest of wires in the 3rd gen.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,082,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinD View Post
I don't envy you in fixing that rats nest of wires in the 3rd gen.
I can understand that. The wiring next will get worked out, should be done already if I'd just go out to the garage with a beer and start plugging things back in.

I removed the dash from the car when in college, rewired the 85 dash to work with a 95 dash I swapped in, and drove it that way for a few years until the car got parked. Shouldn't take more than time to get the interior back in running order...I've just been lazy. Typical problem with most project vehicles I think.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM

20 posts, read 42,987 times
I've had 2 3rd gen birds. They're quite fun to drive.
The last one was an 87 T/A with A heavily modified L98 putting down 340hp and 450ft lbs before the 150 shot of nitrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles