Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times

Advertisements

Today was a very emotional day for me. I took my scooter to the shop to have them check out a weird clanking sound. It turns out I've been running the thing on no oil. I never did check the oil since buying it new. It didn't leak a drop but apparently burned a little oil. The guy told me it would eventually need a new engine. The guy said a new 150cc engine would run about $600 installed. It's just not worth it for a cheap Chinese scooter. So my scooter's days are numbered. I don't think I'll ride from here on out, that way if somebody wants to buy it at least it runs. This is terrible, it's a beautiful scooter that I always garaged. It only has 2,000 miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
That is really sad. Every vehicle burns a little oil. Perhaps it used more because it was new and still seating in the engine parts.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is really sad. Every vehicle burns a little oil. Perhaps it used more because it was new and still seating in the engine parts.
The guy told me the sound was from a slight warp in the crankshaft bearing. I'm sure it was from no oil. I can't believe I destroyed a brand new scooter like that. I had around $2500 into it.

The mechanic recommended to just drive it until the engine quits, he said he can't determine when it would be, but it might run for a couple thousand miles for all I know. Or I could try to sell it and get something else. But then what is it worth anyway?

I wanted something bigger anyway. I always wanted a Honda Helix. But maybe it's time to move to a motorcycle, like a small Ninja. I had a Ninja 500 in San Diego, CA and I loved that bike.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I ride a motorcycle (my 6th) and think the most fun bike I ever had overall was a 1980 Suzuki 450S. The 350-500s are just an ideal compromise unless one has a particular use in mind for which they are too small.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Might be worth trying to fix it yourself as its very small, Rod bearings top and bottom, set of new rings and either a rebore and a bigger piston or a new cylinder probably cost under $200. worth a try as it aint gonna get any more broke..

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Rod bearings top and bottom
Bottom end rod bearings . . link please? ScrappyDog reference.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys. I'm not going to stress about and just keep riding it. For all I know it might keep running for a long time. I'll know when it gets worse because the slight clanky sound will only get louder. Then if I want to fix it later fine, or just sell it for parts or something.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NudeBeachGirl View Post
Compared to a regular motorcycle a scooter seems more of a deathtrap since they're less powerful and less maneuverable and the rider is seated in a position that minimizes safety.
Don't think I'd agree with all of that. Scooters are typically slower than motorcycles when it comes to top speed (We're talking small scooters here, not Bergmanns or the like). But their acceleration in real "working world" situations isn't bad, especially leaving a stop light, and their maneuverability is actually pretty good, almost to the extent of being somewhat "unstable" or "twitchy".

I don't think much changes when it comes to seating position either, a step through or step over machine really doesn't offer any difference in protection when running into another solid object. Personally i prefer a motorcycle over a scooter, but that's not because scooters aren't capable, they're just not my cup of tea.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Tell me about it. Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on a bar stool with wheels. It gets a little scary after 50 mph. I've had it over 60 a couple times on the down slope of a bridge.

BTW, the scooter seems to be doing fine. The sound doesn't seem to be getting any worse and I check the oil now. For all I know the mechanic kid was wrong anyway. It's not like these Chinese scooter shops require any kind of technical certification or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudeBeachGirl View Post
Compared to a regular motorcycle a scooter seems more of a deathtrap since they're less powerful and less maneuverable and the rider is seated in a position that minimizes safety.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:54 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
...It gets a little scary after 50 mph...
I can imagine, little tiny wheels aren't the most stable objects when rotating that fast...i was following a guy on a scooter back towards my house one evening, and the guy was doing 60mph on the interstate...luckily there weren't other motorists around, or i'd have worried about getting rear-ended, but passed that it was ok...save for the instability of his machine at those speeds, for around town, they're pretty nimble and stable enough for most users...but they do have a different personality than motorcycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles