Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times

Advertisements

I know this is going to sound inflammatory but the main reason I (and many others) do not like motorcycles is because the cyclists insist on sitting on the bike in the driveway and revving the motor for a good ten minutes before taking off.

Anyone who lives next to someone with a motorcycle probably has suffered because of this filthy habit.

The noise and stench is intolerable. And this habit gives all of you a bad name. Are you simply inconsiderate boors? Do you do it to compensate for a lack elsewhere? (you should know that many people say that, LOL) Is it just because you can? Do you think its fun?

If it's for fun, take the bike somewhere where you won't be disturbing your neighbors, park and rev up all you want.

But, please, quit disturbing the peace of the neighborhood.

I am not a troll, nor is this a wind up. If there is a specific reason for this behavior, I am asking what it is. I really want to know. If it is done for no reason at all except because you can, I am asking you to start thinking about your neighbors and have a little consideration.

I do know a couple of people who actually just start the bike and drive away. But most of my exposure to motorcycle owners seems to be the type described above.

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-06-2011 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
No idea why.... I ride and don't do that, unless I want attention in traffic. The only time I want attention is traffic is when a cager isn't paying any attention and is trying to kill me.

At home, I start the bike in the barn and hold a little idle rpm, to about 900 rpm, since a cold engine won't hold idle speed on my altered engine by itself.

I walk the bike out and begin the turn to ride out, and by then my engine will stay running by itself.

No sooner do I get moving on the dirt driveway and I shift to 2nd gear slower than a man can walk, and let the bike walk itself the 1/2 mile to the street. It's pretty quiet.

My pipes are not loud pipes but they will bark on demand. They bark going up a road with a hill too, and growel coming down a hill, somes spitting and popping to.

I would suggest you get all calm and collected, be nice and just walk over and ask for a little peace and quiet. Tell them you know riders think cagers don't see them, but you make an effort, since we have problems with you too. Give us some room on the road, especially at red lights and stop signs.

If these guys are DIYer's they may be seeking some problem. Bikes vibrate parts loose more often than cars, and checking for that can be a cause for some minor revvings, but it shouldn't be enough to wake the dead.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,006 times
Sorry about that.

I did it yesterday to see if I have an exhaust leak at higher RPMs. Also when I turn the choke on, the bike will rev up on it's own. Other than that I make all the noise when I ride.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
More than likely, the owner is doing it just to be 'cool' (read: douche). However, there are a few exceptions:

1) If working on the bike and trying to diagnose something. Of course, no one should be working on the bike at 6AM everyday of the week. If they are, they need to give up and find a decent mechanic

2) Some bikes are cold-hearted to start, especially carbureted ones. Granted, a properly tuned bike shouldn't need it, but sometimes a little extra revs after getting it to fire will ensure it stays running. However, this should only be for a few seconds (if that) and should NOT require any futher revving.

3) It may just be idling, not revving. Some bikes can stall when ridden if the motor has not been given a chance to warm sufficiently. This goes for fuel-injected and carbureted bikes. And this isn't always a case of the bike not being tuned correctly. Some are like this right off the showroom floor (but are getting better at it). To compensate, the owner may let the bike idle for a minute or two prior to taking off. Again, this does NOT require revving, but depending on the bike's exhaust can be a bit loud. It doesn't help that, as with any vehicle, the bike will start in high idle and eventually drop (automatically if fuel-injected, by hand if carbureted after the choke has been pushed in).

Myself, I let my bikes warm up before I take off but I do NOT rev at the wee hours of the morning. If I'm riding the one with the loud exhaust, I take off a bit sooner than I like but it isn't as cold-heareted in the morning as the other one, so that's OK. I'll admit to revving sometimes on the return home, but that's later in the day when I shouldn't be waking anyone. Sometimes it's my 'Honey, I'm home!' call. Sometimes it's because the I know the 5 yr old across the street gets a big smile when I do it. Sometimes it's just because I can. But again, this is later in the day and isn't some big 'bang it off the rev limiter' kind of thing, just a blip.

But, to confirm what you suspected, that guy incessantly revving his Harley (because it usually is. Sorry HD fans) at 6AM is just a douche. No further analysis needed.

Mike

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times
whiteboyslo got it for me. The carbureted 250 is extremely cold-blooded and requires quite a lot of warm up time, especially the one I have now which was mistreated early in life. This means choke, which means revs around 3000. After a little of that, I dial back the choke and test how it is taking revs by gently revving it manually. It's a process. This is how it works.

My FZ6R (which is fuel-injected and new) is basically just start it, wait 30 to 60 seconds at idle, check that the temperature is in the 120 range, squeeze the clutch in and out about five times, and ride off slowly.

I have stock pipes on both bikes and don't plan on getting aftermarket pipes.

I'm more annoyed at cars that have to honk the horn to lock or unlock the door, or the noisy monster trucks that populate most garages around here.

And while we're at it, I'm WAAAY more annoyed at the neighbor kids who ride their bikes across my lawn, molest my tree, bounce their balls till 9:30 at night, take up the road and hesitate to move out of the way when cars are trying to get by, draw on the sidewalks, etc. You should know many of us think your kids should be euthanized, LOL.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
They really want a new motorcycle,. so they are trying to wear out their current one as quickly as possible in order to justify buying a new one.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:46 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Probably, your neighbor dislikes you and knows it gets under your skin. And, from the tone of your posting, you have probably conveyed disdain for the neighbor which he senses and inflames him further. I can recall one of my neighbors when I was an irritating youth who called the cops on me for overtime parking whenever I would leave my car on the street for a couple of days. I had a 68 427 Vette with side pipes and when those pipes were pointed toward his house, I am sure it would have shaken the windows and the doors on his place. Of course, I wouldn't be so thoughtless today, but then I wouldn't leave myself open to parking tickets either.

Try to be friendly and understanding and when you have a good relationship built, let him know it is bothering you.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
From the aggressive tone of your post, if I had a loud motorcycle next door to you, I'd be revving it too.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No idea why.... I ride and don't do that, unless I want attention in traffic. The only time I want attention is traffic is when a cager isn't paying any attention and is trying to kill me.

At home, I start the bike in the barn and hold a little idle rpm, to about 900 rpm, since a cold engine won't hold idle speed on my altered engine by itself.

I walk the bike out and begin the turn to ride out, and by then my engine will stay running by itself.

No sooner do I get moving on the dirt driveway and I shift to 2nd gear slower than a man can walk, and let the bike walk itself the 1/2 mile to the street. It's pretty quiet.

My pipes are not loud pipes but they will bark on demand. They bark going up a road with a hill too, and growel coming down a hill, somes spitting and popping to.

I would suggest you get all calm and collected, be nice and just walk over and ask for a little peace and quiet. Tell them you know riders think cagers don't see them, but you make an effort, since we have problems with you too. Give us some room on the road, especially at red lights and stop signs.

If these guys are DIYer's they may be seeking some problem. Bikes vibrate parts loose more often than cars, and checking for that can be a cause for some minor revvings, but it shouldn't be enough to wake the dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Sorry about that.

I did it yesterday to see if I have an exhaust leak at higher RPMs. Also when I turn the choke on, the bike will rev up on it's own. Other than that I make all the noise when I ride.

Thanks so much both of you for your helpful answers. You both sound like thoughtful considerate riders and neighbors. I do understand the need for noise on the road, to increase the likelihood that other drivers will notice that you are there.

I don't know the person who makes this noise and stench every morning, it comes from a home several houses down from mine, with many trees in between (kind of 'country' here), I'm not even sure which house it is, that will tell you how loud and intrusive it really is.

We're on a hill though so it's not just the noise, it's the exhaust fumes that come floating up into my windows too. It's pretty awful.

About 25 years ago I lived on a city street, I was in the basement apartment with large windows level with the sidewalk. The guy who lived above me got a bike and started parking it right in front of my windows, on the side walk. And, just like whoever it is down the road, when he started the bike in the morning he sat there and revved it for a good five or ten minutes before taking off. I just don't get how people can be so clueless. Not being very good with the confrontational stuff in those days I left him a note on the bike seat asking him to please not park it in front of my windows any more and why (I could no longer see out my windows, and the noise and fumes when he started the bike were as if he were right in my living room).

Anyway, so this morning, like every other morning, as I suffered through the ten minutes of noise and then tried to air my apartment out from the fumes I thought I would check with people who ride, to see if this was a normal necessary thing, or if they guy is just being a jerk because he is.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
More than likely, the owner is doing it just to be 'cool' (read: douche). However, there are a few exceptions:

1) If working on the bike and trying to diagnose something. Of course, no one should be working on the bike at 6AM everyday of the week. If they are, they need to give up and find a decent mechanic

2) Some bikes are cold-hearted to start, especially carbureted ones. Granted, a properly tuned bike shouldn't need it, but sometimes a little extra revs after getting it to fire will ensure it stays running. However, this should only be for a few seconds (if that) and should NOT require any futher revving.

3) It may just be idling, not revving. Some bikes can stall when ridden if the motor has not been given a chance to warm sufficiently. This goes for fuel-injected and carbureted bikes. And this isn't always a case of the bike not being tuned correctly. Some are like this right off the showroom floor (but are getting better at it). To compensate, the owner may let the bike idle for a minute or two prior to taking off. Again, this does NOT require revving, but depending on the bike's exhaust can be a bit loud. It doesn't help that, as with any vehicle, the bike will start in high idle and eventually drop (automatically if fuel-injected, by hand if carbureted after the choke has been pushed in).

Myself, I let my bikes warm up before I take off but I do NOT rev at the wee hours of the morning. If I'm riding the one with the loud exhaust, I take off a bit sooner than I like but it isn't as cold-heareted in the morning as the other one, so that's OK. I'll admit to revving sometimes on the return home, but that's later in the day when I shouldn't be waking anyone. Sometimes it's my 'Honey, I'm home!' call. Sometimes it's because the I know the 5 yr old across the street gets a big smile when I do it. Sometimes it's just because I can. But again, this is later in the day and isn't some big 'bang it off the rev limiter' kind of thing, just a blip.

But, to confirm what you suspected, that guy incessantly revving his Harley (because it usually is. Sorry HD fans) at 6AM is just a douche. No further analysis needed.

Mike
My thanks to you too Mike, for your helpful answer. You, too, sound like a thoughtful considerate person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles